Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rattle - MY19 XC60

Views : 3711

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 15th, 2018, 09:30   #21
iain cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
An update to anyone for future reference:

The rattle got worse and worse. One fine day managed to find the source of the rattle a month or so ago while driving on a rough road.

There is a black small cover that slots into the back of the intellisafe housing, just above the rear view mirror where the mirror holder goes into the housing, which dislodged it self from the slot for some reason and was causing the rattle. This explains why the rattle got worse and worse as the cover was getting dislodged gradually more and more out of its place with more journeys. I simply pushed the cover back into its slot, which neatly slotted in and since then the annoying rattle stopped.

Never thought it could be as silly as that but I am glad it is as silly as that and nothing major requiring stripping the panels.
I would have expected/hoped the lead technician would had the intuition to try this after taking your car on a 30 mile joyride ?

Iain
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 11:24   #22
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:

The rattle got worse and worse. One fine day managed to find the source of the rattle a month or so ago while driving on a rough road.

There is a black small cover that slots into the back of the intellisafe housing, just above the rear view mirror where the mirror holder goes into the housing, which dislodged it self from the slot for some reason and was causing the rattle. This explains why the rattle got worse and worse as the cover was getting dislodged gradually more and more out of its place with more journeys. I simply pushed the cover back into its slot, which neatly slotted in and since then the annoying rattle stopped.

Never thought it could be as silly as that but I am glad it is as silly as that and nothing major requiring stripping the panels.
Ironic really that it has taken you so long to find it when we posted the reason for your rattle months ago, if you had read the post and looked at the housing and the cover it would have saved you a lot of hassle, you only had to press the housing when it was rattling to stop it.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 12:22   #23
Typolee

Why don't you insist you drive with him in the car with you to replicate. I am going to do this next time my car goes in as they said they could not replicate my brake squeal.
Typolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 17:13   #24
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
Ironic really that it has taken you so long to find it when we posted the reason for your rattle months ago, if you had read the post and looked at the housing and the cover it would have saved you a lot of hassle, you only had to press the housing when it was rattling to stop it.
Firstly, apologies that I said it is a month ago but actually this was in August when I found and fixed the source of the rattle....that makes it more than a month. Secondly, I have read every single response that has been posted. Although there were posts that referred to Intellisafe housing, in my case it isn’t the whole big housing box that was causing the rattle. As mentioned, it is just the small cover at the rear of the housing that was causing the rattle. Just as you have mentioned, prior to finding the actual source, I had my wife press on the housing while I was driving on a rough road on few occasions but we could still hear the rattle. Based on that we excluded the housing from the list of potential causes. It was only by pure luck that I noticed later on where the issue was.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 18:44   #25
MaDProFF
Master Member

Exactly same as mine, although I bashed mine it stopped it

it was the Autoglass Engineer when replacing the screen showed me, (I told him of the problem and asked to look inside the housing when he had it in bits) and said it was not fitted correctly in the first place, he fitted it correctly and has not been a problem since
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2019, 17:55   #26
Powlsey

Quote:

Hi there I am new to the forum just seen your update as I’ve had my car just over a week with the dreaded rattle following your post I replaced the piece of plastic near the mirror quiet as a church mouse now. Thanks for the heads up
Powlsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 20:10   #27
scuba0576
VOC Member

I too had the annoying rattle from the Intellisafe housing.
I did try hitting it, and moving it within its mounting, but the rattle kept returning.
I eventually sorted it by removing the small part and running some plastic “ sheathing” from small low voltage speaker wire around the front part of it (removing the wires and just using the outer sheathing)
This acts like a bead and stops the rattle completely (so far).
Rob