Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pcv valve

Views : 1354

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2018, 09:19   #1
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Default Pcv valve

Hi everyone just a quick one I have had to top up the oil over the weekend which is the first time I’ve had to do this which worries me and probably the start of things to come.

So just ordered a new pcv valve from Volvo to eliminate that and as precaution found a exploded diagram on google but can’t find it on my engine, the diagram says it’s near the oil filter housing but when I spoke to Volvo they say it’s near the air filter does anyone know where it is thanks a lot

Daniel
Danielpsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 09:29   #2
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Daniel, its behind the oil filter housing and one of the securing screws is rather " Challenging" to access and remove. The hoses just pull off.

Alternatively you can obtain new gaskets for the oil filter housing and remove that which would make the job very easy.

The PCV valve is not expensive at around £25.

Good idea to change it as matter of course

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 09:34   #3
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for the reply bang on £25 from Volvo the diagram said it was by the oil filter just the other side forgot to say it’s a 56 plate d5 167000 miles.

Hopefully this may sort it if not looks like engine is coming apart you wouldn’t know if it’s possible to change the rings without taking the head off on these engines I know some you can.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 09:41   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

No idea sorry, BUT osulivant in this thread has replaced the rings on his so will know if you PM him.

He reckons the PCV valve was probably the main reason for his oil consumption. Change yours and see how you go.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286972

Old Oct 1st, 2018, 10:10   #5
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks again I have had a good read of the threads and found the one that he recommends to change the pcv and noticed you changed yours as precaution so going to change it today or tomorrow got to pick it up after 12 but got to get the kids at 3 so not sure if there’s enough time.

I’m hoping it just needed a top up and not starting to use it but time will tell thanks again and will keep you updated.

Daniel
The Following User Says Thank You to Danielpsmith For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 14:04   #6
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Picked up the new valve and found where it is on the engine see what you mean about the back nut and the access, going to do it tomorrow when the engine is cold will let you know how it goes.
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 15:31   #7
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Well after 2 hours I just couldn’t get to that back torque bolt no matter what I did or tried so unfortunately had to book it into the garage for next Tuesday.

The good thing is after taking the egr pipe off, managed to give it all a good clean because it was ridiculously blocked in the pipe and in the egr considering it had a new egr 2 years ago couldn’t believe how bad it was so there was some plus to doing it.

Will keep you updated once it’s changed.

Daniel
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 21:10   #8
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Daniel, what I did was get a short Torx for the back bolt and tape it firmly into the jaws of a small open ended spanner.

I then managed to get a screwdriver onto the top of the torx to exert downward pressure whilst moving the spanner. Laborious but possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 02:34   #9
Danielpsmith
Master Member

Thanks for the reply I did try it with a torque bit and long nose pliers but no good just couldn’t quite get it on enough to crack it, but will try a spanner over the weekend as I’m on nights now until then thanks again and will keep it updated.

Daniel
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 19:00   #10
osullivant

The pipes that cause the difficulty are bolted to the engine with two bolts a 10mm socket will have them off in two minutes then the pipes move sufficient to get at the valve fixings...
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote