Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gas fumes in cab after rear end collsion

Views : 858

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 22:49   #1
Zlornick

Default Gas fumes in cab after rear end collsion

My beloved 94 940 wagon was rear ended a couple weeks ago. The damage to the body is significant enough to have bent the rear panels towards the front and and down sightly, as well as throwing the rear bumper slightly out of wack. Not pretty, but perfectly drivable.

While I assess my options on fixing the frame and cosmetic damage, I've noticed significant fumes in the cab when driving, especially at low levels of fuel in the tank. Curious what y'all might consider as culprits for the fumes. Cracked gas tank? Leaking fuel lines?
Zlornick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zlornick For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:13   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

It could be either of the things you mention. It may not be the best idea to continue driving a car that has sustained significant accident damage and might be leaking fuel. Just a thought.

It should be possible to check the fuel lines fairly easily under the car. Also remove the access panel behind the back seat and check where the fuel lines enter the tank. If the rear panels have shifted it might even be the filler neck come dislodged.

It does not take much fuel to create a lot of smell.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:23   #3
Zlornick

I haven't seen any visible leakage underneath the car. I've also checked the compartment where the fuel lines enter the tank. nothing visible. when the engine is off, there are no fumes. Interesting. A fellow at the body shop mentioned the charcoal canister thinking it might be close to the tank, but apparently that's actually under the hood and nowhere near the damage.

for an idea of what's going on:

Last edited by Zlornick; Oct 9th, 2018 at 23:26.
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 23:40   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Most likely exhaust gas coming in from teh tailgate seal
classicswede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 00:16   #5
Zlornick

interesting. didn't think of that but it's possible, I'll check that out.

It really smells like raw fuel though.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 06:43   #6
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Looking at the roofline I’d say your car is toast - the whole back end has been pulled downwards. Take the money off the person who hit you and buy a better 940, maybe keep yours for spares - especially if it’s trying to gas you.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 07:20   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
Looking at the roofline I’d say your car is toast - the whole back end has been pulled downwards. Take the money off the person who hit you and buy a better 940, maybe keep yours for spares - especially if it’s trying to gas you.
I agree with 'MiniNinjaRob', 'Zlornick'. Your car has done it's job by keeping you safe, maybe even saving your life compared with a lesser one. Retire it gracefully.

Regards. John.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:43   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlornick View Post
I haven't seen any visible leakage underneath the car. I've also checked the compartment where the fuel lines enter the tank. nothing visible. when the engine is off, there are no fumes. Interesting. A fellow at the body shop mentioned the charcoal canister thinking it might be close to the tank, but apparently that's actually under the hood and nowhere near the damage.

for an idea of what's going on:
Looking at that, i'd make a guess the rubber hose connecting the fuel filler neck to the tank has either split of become dislodged.
All the other possibilities/probabilities have already been mentioned, including the most obvious of exhaust fumes entering the cabin via compromised tailgate seals.

Best suggestion is from John - get the money from the other driver and/or his insurance, if needs be take him (her?) to small claims court or even Judge Judy. Unless i'm mistaken, you're in California and i believe that's where her program is filmed, if you win your case the program producers pay you the money so you're pretty much guaranteed a pay-out.

What the hell were the other party driving though? Has to be something fairly big to do that kind of damage!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 14:52   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

The crease is exactly where the fuel filler and tank outlet pipes are. Its possible the body is crushing the tank outlet. If you have fumes when running you need to check the pipes for leaks, especially the pressure and return lines that are activated when running.

Take off the hinged carpeted bit for the back seat and open up the tank connections inspection cover. Also inspect all the pipes around there.

Generally the car looks to be scrap, so scrap it. It could well be in a dangerous condition.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 16:13   #10
Zlornick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Looking at that, i'd make a guess the rubber hose connecting the fuel filler neck to the tank has either split of become dislodged.
All the other possibilities/probabilities have already been mentioned, including the most obvious of exhaust fumes entering the cabin via compromised tailgate seals.

Best suggestion is from John - get the money from the other driver and/or his insurance, if needs be take him (her?) to small claims court or even Judge Judy. Unless i'm mistaken, you're in California and i believe that's where her program is filmed, if you win your case the program producers pay you the money so you're pretty much guaranteed a pay-out.

What the hell were the other party driving though? Has to be something fairly big to do that kind of damage!

I do think it might be that filler pipe coming into the tank. I've looked in the fuel pump access compartment and there's nothing visible, no obvious fumes when with the ignition off. I didn't try it with the car running. Maybe I'll try that when I have a minute.

The insurance process is pretty much over and I'm satisfied with the result, even if it's taken quite awhile to develop.

They've obviously totaled it. In the US, I can "buy it back" with a salvage title for a couple hundred and either try to fix it, or part it out until I drive it to junkyard. It's looking like the later is my only option.

I've had a couple of these over the years and I love them. At this point, I know their intricacies fairly well despite not being into cars. This is the best car I've ever owned, hands down, and I've put quite a bit of time into it, even replacing the heater core last winter (which y'all helped out with, thanks!). So, it's a bit of a bummer that I had a run in with someone who doesn't know how to drive. Such a waste.

They were driving a mid-2000s Toyota something or other, and there was significant damage to the front end. The plastic cover on the front bumper was marked up and completely dislodged. Not sure if it was drivable, didn't really care, to be honest. I wasn't really aware of how bad the damage to my car was upon first sight and drove off after exchanging insurance info, no problem.

I've always been suspicious that this car had been wrecked in that spot before. The tailgate is from a 960 and that quarter panel you see, doesn't quite match, but there's no record of it. Bought from a Russian fellow several years back, and that can often be a bit of a toss of the dice in more ways than one.

Thanks again for all the help!