Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tape Deck Woes!

Views : 853

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 13:26   #1
LPTJoe

Default Tape Deck Woes!

I'm having some challenges with my tape deck, as per the title....

I have an odd and esoteric ICE isssue on my '96 940 at the moment where as whilst the radio on the car plays audibly and works well, when I plonk a cassette tape into the deck it appears to be playing it, ie not flipping it over again and again, all functions seem to work, changes sides properly when the button is pressed and generally seems to work, other than one small issue.... No sound seems to be produced!

Needless to say I've tried multiple tapes without success. I really wanted to keep the original cassette deck and I'm baffled that the radio plays and produces sound and yet casettes don't....

Any ideas before I bit the bullet and replace it with an aftermarket jobbie?

TIA chaps!

Last edited by LPTJoe; Oct 10th, 2018 at 13:32.
LPTJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 13:30   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
I'm having some challenges with my tape deck, as per the title....

I have an odd and esoteric ICE isssue on my '96 940 at the moment where as whilst the radio on the car plays audibly and works well, when I plonk a cassette tape into the deck it appears to be playing it, ie not flipping it over again and again, all functions, fliips sides and generally seems to work, other one small issue.... No sound seems to be produced!

Needless to say I've tried multiple tapes without success. I really wanted to keep the original cassette deck....

Any ideas before I bit the bullet and replace it with an aftermarket jobbie?

TIA chaps!
is the tape moving as far as you know ? You say no sound , but completely dead or some background noise ? Why not get it repaired ?
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 13:38   #3
LPTJoe

Yes, the tape deck seems to be moving as you can just about hear the reels on the casette turning.

A dull 'dobly' type hiss is the only sound produced by the speakers whilst tapes are 'playing'.

RE having it repaired, I imagine it would probably be cheaper to source a tape deck from a breaker or elsewhere as I'm sure many people repalce the originals as a matter of course.

Personally I'd like to keep things as OE as possible and wondered if there was something obvious I might be missing...
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 13:42   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Yes, the tape deck seems to be moving as you can just about hear the reels on the casette turning.

A dull 'dobly' type hiss is the only sound produced by the speakers whilst tapes are 'playing'.

RE having it repaired, I imagine it would probably be cheaper to source a tape deck from a breaker or elsewhere as I'm sure many people repalce the originals as a matter of course.

Personally I'd like to keep things as OE as possible and wondered if there was something obvious I might be missing...
there is a change over switch inside when you put the tape in it changes over the audio from radio to tape . depends how handy you are .. well worth getting repaired as it is an excellent radio . CR 906 ? There is a place in Ipswich called central services in spring road which used to do all volvos work they know all about what needs doing .
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 14:13   #5
LPTJoe

Thanks, yes it's a CR906.

Change over switch sounds interesting.... Ultimately I'd like to think I could find a decent S/H unit for under £20 but I'll keep the outfit you mentioned in mind.

Cheers.
The Following User Says Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 22:00   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks, yes it's a CR906.

Change over switch sounds interesting.... Ultimately I'd like to think I could find a decent S/H unit for under £20 but I'll keep the outfit you mentioned in mind.

Cheers.
I was going to suggest the changeover switch as well Joe, if you're handy with small screwdrivers you can proabbly pop the lids off the unit and find the changeover switch to squirt some contact cleaner into it. Then insert a cassette and eject it many times before testing it.

My suspicions would be lack of use - ever! As such, if you squirt the switch with cleaner and operate it several times, you might just find it does work quite nicely!

Also have a look in the For sale section, think i saw a CR-906 for sale recently or it might have been fleabay, i'll check!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 22:16   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

If it was fleabay i can't find it, i did however find this :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Breaking-...o/142969639144

Might have the right stereo for you?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 15:17   #8
Laney760
VOC Member

Somewhere in the depths of my garage is a Volvo radio cassette player which worked perfectly when taken out to fit a CD player in a previous 940

IF, and I cannot promise this, but if I can get to it amongst all the stuff in the garage. IF I can find it you are very welcome to it Joe, just cover the postal costs

I will have a look this weekend. CR906 rings a bell as well, it may be that same one

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:29   #9
LPTJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney760 View Post
Somewhere in the depths of my garage is a Volvo radio cassette player which worked perfectly when taken out to fit a CD player in a previous 940

IF, and I cannot promise this, but if I can get to it amongst all the stuff in the garage. IF I can find it you are very welcome to it Joe, just cover the postal costs

I will have a look this weekend. CR906 rings a bell as well, it may be that same one
You absolute legend!

If by chance you do find it I'd be happy to cover postage and it would have a very good home with me

Cheers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LPTJoe For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 20:36   #10
Laney760
VOC Member

I've stuck a pink post-it on the montior screen saying 'Joe tape player'

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post: