Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 rear caliper piston size? 38/40mm

Views : 1068

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 18th, 2014, 16:29   #1
Alasdair1
Master Member

Question 940 rear caliper piston size? 38/40mm

Its brake time again!
I know this info is on here somewhere but I can't find it and also cant remember the size of the rear pistons on my 98 LPT 940. I need to order either a couple of new calipers or repair kits as there starting to sieze. I need the car every day and don't want to strip it down in case I run into problems. I checked online and there seem to be two sizes 38mm and 40mm. I'm pretty sure there ATE but the last time I had them off to change pads the markings had corroded away so I can't tell what size of piston is fitted. Does anyone have any idea or is it a case of removing and measuring them. I have a vague recollection its 40mm but not confident enough to be sure.

Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 19:02   #2
gpl1968
VOC Member

The calipers on the rear of my '97 lpt have 40mm pistons.
I would guess yours has the same.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 19:34   #3
Alasdair1
Master Member

Just come back in after a short drive. The symptoms I have are squealing but not high pitched enough to be metal on metal. Weird thing it goes away if you apply the handbrake slightly and release it again while driving. Just wondering if its the handbrake shoes that are seizing. Will have to investigate further but as said need the car daily.
I reckon there 40mm right enough. If I get a chance next weekend will have a look properly. I did fit a couple of second hand calipers about a year ago but never thought to check piston size before hand. The originals were so bad that I couldn't budge one of the pistons on each side. They I think came of a 95 940

Thanks for the info and reply
Alasdair

Alasdair
Old May 21st, 2014, 23:49   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Should be 40mm. If its not the calipers likely they need reconditioning anyway. rust and dirt build up after 20 years, especially if low miles are done, and seize up the pistons and/or pads.

If you are experienced with rust you could tackle it yourself, just get a seal kit and clean.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 13:19   #5
Alasdair1
Master Member

all my cars are pretty old now so I am no stranger to rusted parts. I had a good look and found I still have the old calipers which need a new piston and new seals etc. May recon them and just swap them over. As said fitted s/h ones about a year ago so they should come off without any problem. I will have a look at the handbrake while I'm at it. I reckon its seizing on a little from time to time. and will need to replace rear discs anyway.
Alasdair
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 17:57   #6
RealEstate
Master Member

Does anyone know where to get new/replacement rear calipers for a '91, 945?
TIA
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2018, 19:22   #7
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealEstate View Post
Does anyone know where to get new/replacement rear calipers for a '91, 945?
TIA
Europarts, and wait for the 50% off offers for the Pagid 40 mm recons. If you haven't got it sign up for their newsletters and u get the offers.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post: