Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smartphone Integration...

Views : 2242

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2018, 14:24   #11
lalith16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
You can do this; iirc you select reply from the driver's display using the steering wheel controls.
My XC60 without Smartphone Integration doesn’t allow me to reply to text messages; when I try to do it via sterring wheel button it says the feature isn’t available. I can get the car to read out the incoming text messages...no problem with that.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 16:36   #12
Ringthane
VOC Member

In my old XC60, I used to be able to reply or dictate text messages, with a long press on the relavent button, that activated Siri over Bluetooth, but after an iOS update (11 I think) I got a message that said that I had to unlock my iPhone first, which kind of negated the hands free safety aspect of the process.

Now, without CarPlay, I get the function unavailable message, when I try to reply and it refuses to dictate one for the same reason.

With CarPlay, it uses Siri, which works fine.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 17:40   #13
MCV60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
You can do this; iirc you select reply from the driver's display using the steering wheel controls.
Siri allows you to dictate and send messages.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 17:58   #14
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalith16 View Post
My XC60 without Smartphone Integration doesn’t allow me to reply to text messages;
Strange, it's not something I use often but it has worked. I must try it again after last week's s/w update in case it's been changed.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 18:21   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Fortunately not everyone lives in the dark ages and handsfree is perfectly safe as is voice control, or do you not use that either. Apple CarPlay might be a bit expensive, but it's not standard on most higher end cars apart from Audi at the moment, but it will likely become standard the cheaper it gets to licence. No car manufacturer is going to fit something which costs them extra for people to no use it, far better it be an option for those that will use it.
You read my post incorrectly, I said I can reply to texts but I am retired and have no need to send texts while driving, or want to, as any messages I get can wait for a reply until I stop driving, I do use voice control a lot, its a lot safer than using sensus. Using voice control is less distacting than talking on the phone or dictating messages and can not be put in the same category.
I said it was my company safety policy that banned the use of phone in cars not my policy. This covered them somewhat in case of accidents that may happen while emploees are using a phone as it was against company policy.
Rather than living in the dark ages they were very forward thinking and put people first and always stressed there was never any need to send texts or use the phone while driving for them as nothing was more important than safety and calls and texts could wait until safe to do so.
Carplay is standard on many low priced cars now so why do Volvo charge £300 for it.

I dont live in the dark ages I drive a fully loaded modern car with safety in mind. Something that obviously by-passes a lot of people judging by the number of drivers I still see using hand held phones even drivers of new cars with bluetooth, BMW, AUDI and White van men seam to be the most common along with young ladies texting.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 18:36   #16
S90
IT Guru

Cheaper cars have CarPlay included as the target market is more likely to use it. I agree about people still driving around holding phones, even when they have BT fitted, but unfortunately the police don't have the resources to deal with it.

I haven't used a handheld phone in a car for as long as I can remember, however my work requires me to use my phone frequently whilst driving, but always via handsfree. Texts, if I do need to reply are dictated by Siri.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 19:15   #17
OldEngineer

Also (with apple) you can use Siri with a one finger wake-up. I have the phone sitting on the centre console and can find the 'Home Button' without taking my eyes off the road. Once Siri is awake the car mutes and all your interaction is through the car's microphone and speakers. Siri reads the message and asks whether you want to reply and confirms it has understood all through your spoken commands. You can even initiate a message with one touch.
OldEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 21:00   #18
S90
IT Guru

You don't need to press the home button, just activate 'hey Siri'
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 00:52   #19
Ringthane
VOC Member

I had to turn off “Hey Siri” because my kids think it’s really funny to wake up my phone and turn on VoiceOver.
Old Oct 15th, 2018, 18:30   #20
paulod

Yep after earlier posts I tried 'Hey Siri' out today and it works fine, takes over audio and acts as it does in carplay.
Very useful for me when the wife is texting me to ask when I'll be home, I can just use that now.
You can also reply through the touchscreen if you select the reply option but have to be stationary and type it in on screen, not something I guess will get used often.