Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adaptive Shadow LED

Views : 4723

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 15:45   #1
S90
IT Guru

Default Adaptive Shadow LED

What do users think of this as a whole?

I find it quite distracting having the lights going on and off etc, sometimes it works on the motorway, other times it just revert to high or low beam with no adaptive.

I just watched a video of Audis new HD Matrix system and it A LOT smoother and faster to respond, it almost flows in terms of LED's being on or off?

Your thoughts?
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 16:08   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

I think the lights works really well, for me the more light anywhere is better than no light.

Driving on the Ashdown Forest in the dark having that beam up the near side in the tress and side of kerb is a big bonus for seeing deer early, at times when cars are coming the other way but a distance away there is a beam of light shining to the drivers side into the kerb.

To date it is the best lighting system I have used, certainly way way better than the AMG GLA I had, I had to turn off high beam assist, it was a complete waste of space, but I guess that has been updated in the new version.

There are some settings to change speed the lights change at.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 16:11   #3
S90
IT Guru

I do agree that the kerb light is amazing. I wonder if Volvo will increase LED resolution in the next gen. I don't even know how many LED modules are at work. I do find in heavy traffic it can get a bit flustered and the modules go on and off at a fair rate!
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 16:52   #4
WhatNext?

I previously had the Mercedes ILS with BiXenon which I thought were good with some quirks.

The one the Volvo one is much better, quicker to respond and always correct (although less seamless) - not flashed by dazzled drivers yet
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 17:28   #5
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
To date it is the best lighting system I have used
Second that. And I drive a company A6 with LED matrix. They seem brighter - but after half an hour your eyes are strained from glare..

Quote:
There are some settings to change speed the lights change at.
Not sure about this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90
I find it quite distracting having the lights going on and off etc, sometimes it works on the motorway, other times it just revert to high or low beam with no adaptive.
I actually don't use them much on highway (no need really.. low beams are more than fine for highway driving..) but driving on twisty B-roads- auto high beams are by far the best headlights I've ever tested!
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 17:36   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

Here's some side-by-side action..

https://youtu.be/9UCz5tm0cKo
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 17:38   #7
weemark

Second that - I think the lights are superb - been flashed just the once when lorry cab was showing over a rise but his lights werent - other than that great technology but as Halden says to me of limited benefit/use on motorways and dual carriageway
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 19:10   #8
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
I don't even know how many LED modules are at work.
There's 32 LEDs per headlamp in the Audi system but many fewer (possibly single figures) in Volvo's. As well as switching some LEDs, Volvo's system uses a mechanical shutter to help create the left-right shadows. If you drive on a narrow, winding country lane with tall tress either side you can see the distinct U-shape pattern produced by the shutters move horizontally.

When you look in an XC90 headlamp unit you appear to see a row of LEDs along the bottom. These aren't LEDs, they're just decorative bling.

Audi's system is a lot more expensive than Volvo's but it reflects what the market will pay rather than the 'true' cost.

In any case, I really like the Adaptive Shadow and find it works remarkably well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 21:06   #9
ehp

Big thumbs up from me. With my MY17 you could get them with the Winter Plus pack, so not too expensive and an easy decision, but I think now you have to pony up for the Pro model which is a lot more money.

Best ever was driving up to Edinburgh on the A702 on a foggy night. You could really see how the light got shaped around any oncoming traffic with the shadow forming just in front of the approaching vehicle.

As haldex says, you don't need them for highway driving. It's the smaller A and B roads where they're effective.
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 21:29   #10
PaulBendall

Quote:
Driving on the Ashdown Forest in the dark having that beam up the near side in the tress and side of kerb is a big bonus for seeing deer early...
Anything that gives you a heads up for deer in the Ashdown forest is a bonus. I've had a number of hits and near misses over the years in the Ashdown forest with deer, badgers and foxes.

I've only driven once with adaptive shadow and liked the extra light it provided. It seems to react better than high beam assistance I had on my previous V40. Time will tell how good it is for me.