Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2020 underbody rust?

Views : 2965

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 20th, 2023, 11:40   #11
gambiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by watto64 View Post
I agree, spray with lanoguard or waxoil type products on the outside and inside of the box sections. wouldent try removal of any surface rust by wire brushing etc.
So lanoguard/waxoil can just be used as-is on the areas you can see in my picture? No prior cleaning necessary? Sorry I've literally never used either. Can I do it myself if I don't have a good way to lift the car? That area in the rear I have good access too, but there might be others. Alternatively I could probably ask a local garage to do it, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watto64 View Post

is the car garaged as this can accelerate corrosion.
No, it just stands in my drive.
gambiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 12:17   #12
DYB
DYB

Isn't this something you should be taking up with the dealer/Volvo?
DYB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 12:31   #13
neilgorin

Waxoyl you just brush off loose rust and spray it over. I've used it on various cars over the years and it's very effective at stopping corrosion dead if it's coming from the outside in (does nothing for traditional inside out MOT failure type rust though, unless you spray it inside the panels).
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 12:59   #14
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYB View Post
Good point. This is still quite a new car in my view.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:09   #15
gambiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYB View Post
So I did ask, sent them the picture from this post asking if I should address this if I want to keep the car for ~10 years total.

This is what they replied with:

"
So, The corrosion you are seeing is first of all not abnormal to any car on the road. All metals will corrode to some extent but the issue arises when the poor metal becomes too fatigued and rots away you would have an issue but Volvo uses very good metal unlike other mass-produced car companies.

Please be rest assured that this what we call is surface corrosion and The black section in question is what we call a subframe an bolts to the body of the car this will not give you any issues in the time frame you are discussing and beyond.

As for treating it with something if you don't want to see it. We dont ever do it but we can have a go at spraying on what could be classed as underseal but this over a long period may allow the rust to come through as rust at any point can't be removed unless cut out which sounds extreme. As its only useful to underseal from new but still then metal mixed with damp air when the car is brand new will start the corrosion process and as I said it's impossible to stop it an its down to the metal quality as to how long it will last.

As far as Volvo Corrosion plan this is for the painted body of the car which the section you show does not come under that."

So.....basically they are saying don't worry about it?
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:12   #16
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambiting View Post
So lanoguard/waxoil can just be used as-is on the areas you can see in my picture? No prior cleaning necessary? Sorry I've literally never used either. Can I do it myself if I don't have a good way to lift the car? That area in the rear I have good access too, but there might be others. Alternatively I could probably ask a local garage to do it, what do you think?

No, it just stands in my drive.
You CAN just spray Waxoyl over things just as they are, but bear in mind that if you've loose rust and mud that subsequently gets dislodged or washed off the Waxoyl will come away with it. Far better to remove what you can before treatment. The options open to you are many and varied as you'll see if you search the forum for rust/rust prevention. To a degree it depends on how much time, effort, and money you want to chuck at the problem. There are companies like the one below who will do the whole job thoroughly for you for a price, and they may be an option if you intend keeping the car long term.
Certainly a thorough DIY job is a filthy business, slightly less so if you can get the car up on a lift.

https://www.rust.co.uk/
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:20   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
Waxoyl has a proven record of stopping this sort of thing in it's tracks. Go for the neutral colour and it doesn't look like you're trying to hide anything.

I'm just dubious if the Chinese factories all have issues with corrosion - MG, BYD now a Volvo all showing more than you'd expect.
All volvo car factories around the world comply to the same quality standards.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:27   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambiting View Post
Hi!

Sorry, maybe I'm making a deal out of nothing, but I'm basically looking for opinion from other owners. I have an XC60 T8, 2020 model, other than a couple european trips used only in the UK. I'm the first owner.

I took this picture of the underbody few days ago, would you say this amount of visible rust is "normal" for a car 3 years old? Obviously exhaust is going to get rusty, that's fine, but I'm worried about the visible rust on the black metal parts at the top - that's the vehicle body, isn't it?

I do plan on keeping this car for another 5-7 years(until it's 8-10 years old), so my question is basically - is this purely cosmetic, or should I actually do something about it to prevent it turning into a problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://i.ibb.co/WWxvQ8N/336710248-1...86518500-n.jpg

Not good at all is it, It looks like salt corrosion overcoming the plating on the bolts too, I haven't seen one that bad yet. This is similar to a older 2007 2016 v70 etc.

If it's 2020 is it still in Warranty? A body inspection should have been carried out at every service , hasn't it been picked up before?
If you have to sort it yourself I would get it attended to soon and protected with something like Dintrol etc as described above. Its not the actual body shell but the suspension bits and pieces.
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:28   #19
gambiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Not good at all is it, It looks like salt corrosion overcoming the plating on the bolts too, I haven't seen one that bad yet. This is similar to a older 2007 2016 v70 etc.

If it's 2020 is it still in Warranty? A body inspection should have been carried out at every service , hasn't it been picked up before?
If you have to sort it yourself I would get it attended to soon and protected with something like Dintrol etc as described above. Its not the actual body shell but the suspension bits and pieces.
Well if you look couple posts up, you can see the reply I got from my Volvo garage(the same one that did a full service just few weeks back) - that's their Master Technician replying too. Basically I guess they are saying this isn't a problem and there's nothing to worry about?
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 13:30   #20
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
All volvo car factories around the world comply to the same quality standards.
The photo confirms they don't.