Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auxiliary Belt

Views : 704

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 23:23   #1
redguy

Default Auxiliary Belt

Hi All,

I've got the dreaded squealing noise. Although it isn't that apparent at certain revs between 1500 - 2000 I can hear it.

My S40 Diesel 2005 has had the alternator replaced and a new auxiliary belt.
So i'm sure it is another component that is making the noise.
I'm not exactly sure what it is but after doing some reading I believe it could be the tensioner pulley.

I've had the engine cover off to scope out the job. Haynes manual tells me I need to jack the car up remove the under engine cover. Remove the right car arch trim/panel in order to access the tensioner pulley.

I've had a look from above and a few things need to be removed in order to get access to the tensioner from the top of the engine. Coolant Reservoir/alternator

The space between the engine/tensioner pulley and the chasis is very very tight. So my question is do I need flexible head spanner, What size, length.
Would it be possible to access the tensioner pulley from above.
OR is it a wheel arch panel/trim removal below job.

Any advice/pictures and tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
redguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:33   #2
redguy

Alternator finally went pop.
I have replaced the alternator. So if anyone is interested in the process I will post some photos up soon.

The only tip i can give out of this job is the tensioner pulley.
It was very hard to get to this from wheel arch or from above. Had more luck from the wheel arch but I have big hands so its hard for me to actually grip easily with the limited space. Didn't fancy skinned knuckles

After some thought I managed to slide the 15mm open end spanner from above. then used a 3ft long batten to help push/lever the 15mm spanner.
There isn't enough space to actually grip the 15mm spanner once it is on the tensioner pulley bolt.

you will need to remove the coolant tank, fuel filter, and imporantly disconnect the negative terminal of the batter.

one your ready to reconnect make sure the key is in position 11 on ignition before the negative battery is reconnected.

I installed a 150amp alternator as the 120amp was only a few years old and went pop. Volvo have told me that a software upgrade is required in order for the sytem to recognise the extra current. As I understand as long as the current is increased and not the voltage things should be okay.
i've checked the battery and it doesn't seem to be running hot. So all in all everything running sweet.

Blasted the car on the motorway with my batman molossus track on (unfortunetly no police chase or helicopter) everything running fine.

Now i just need to balance the wheels and this car is perfek
redguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auxiliary belt, tensioner pulley