Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Worrying Quality problems

Views : 755

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 20:49   #1
jco

Default Worrying Quality problems

Just a rant really because I am disappointed with my 2009 V502.0D powershift - which I really like but is now officially my worst ever car for major faults
At purchase (13K miles) a rattle/knock turned out to be a loose driveshaft bearing (almost umheard of in my experience) and potentially really dangerous. Just had it in for failed aircon (the condenser) and an oil leak between engine and gearbox (the main drive oil seal).
Fairly big jobs then fortunately covered by the warranty, but I'm one of those sad people who empathise with their car and feel let down when the car fails me like this - and you tend to wait for the next thing.
Irritating too because these are not rocket science components - over 25 years our other cars have been 5 hondas and toyotas - problems to date 1 faulty chrome gearknob and 1 jammed brake drum!. Makes you think doesn't it?
Ford components I hear you cry - perhaps things will improve with Chinese money and components?
jco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 22:07   #2
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Just a rant really because I am disappointed with my 2009 V502.0D powershift - which I really like but is now officially my worst ever car for major faults
At purchase (13K miles) a rattle/knock turned out to be a loose driveshaft bearing (almost umheard of in my experience) and potentially really dangerous. Just had it in for failed aircon (the condenser) and an oil leak between engine and gearbox (the main drive oil seal).
Fairly big jobs then fortunately covered by the warranty, but I'm one of those sad people who empathise with their car and feel let down when the car fails me like this - and you tend to wait for the next thing.
Irritating too because these are not rocket science components - over 25 years our other cars have been 5 hondas and toyotas - problems to date 1 faulty chrome gearknob and 1 jammed brake drum!. Makes you think doesn't it?
Ford components I hear you cry - perhaps things will improve with Chinese money and components?
I think you've been relatively unlucky here.

To be honest, I'd put Volvo reliablity right up there with the japaneese...not 100% bullet proof, but then no car ever is.

If you're buying S40/V50/C30, buy one with a Volvo powertrain!

-------- Holy Grail ---------------

2.4 Petrol - VOLVO
2.5 Petrol - VOLVO
2.4 Diesel - VOLVO

-------- Not so good -----------

1.6 Petrol - FORD
1.8 Petrol - FORD
2.0 Petrol - FORD
1.6 Diesel - FORD/PEUGEOT/CITROEN
2.0 Diesel - FORD/PEUGEOT/CITROEN

I read that the 5 cylinder "D5" diesel engine was derieved from the turbocharged 5 pot petrol engines, because thats how strong the petrol engines were originally designed to be!

Last edited by fenton_jd; Jul 12th, 2011 at 22:10.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 08:36   #3
iandonnadnjess
V.O.C. Member, R-Design

Red face

hi i agree once things start to go wrong ( even little things ) you do think whats next ,, however ide say overall volvo are pretty good , most companies source & share components so its down to build quality ..
iandonnadnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 11:31   #4
Welton
Premier Member

I think all manufacturing is done to very tight budgets right from 'normal' cars to washing machines - they just don't seem as hardy as years ago. Cars don't seem to have got any cheaper so I don't know where the money goes......

*waiting in for 3rd Washing Machine in 8 years to be delivered*
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 12:32   #5
Guru
Premier Member

You never know whether your car was built on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon... according to statistics, cars produced in those times of the day are the most faulty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
At purchase (13K miles) a rattle/knock turned out to be a loose driveshaft bearing (almost umheard of in my experience) and potentially really dangerous.
There was a recall on this matter and new tightening torque values where introduced, the previous owner must have skipped it, or wasn't informed about it.