Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine system service required

Views : 23911

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2011, 19:22   #11
Westyman
VOC Member

I really must check that real dipstick on mine rather than the silly electronic one
1972 MG B GT
Westyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2011, 21:06   #12
paulhanson30
paulhanson30

When mine came on, it was down to the clutch position sensor faulty, only found it out to be that as the light never came on until car was moved, hence using clutch. We soldered a resistor over the terminals to check this and all was fine.
paulhanson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 14:26   #13
Jim314
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBT View Post
Just took a call from the dealers. They advise the new issue is unrelated to the previous issue.

Apparently the V70 is very sensitive to engine oil level - the optimal level being about two-thirds full on the dip-stick, according to the dealers.

On my car the oil level was below the maximum level, but high enough to worry the car mangement system. So they have removed some enginge oil.
The interesting thing here is that the car was last serviced about April/May last year and hasn't been topped up since.

Apparently the oil level can also affect the DPF / particulate filter regeneration process although I'm not sure what connection there would be between oil level and the PDF.

Hopefully this will cure it now!

Tom
The regeneration of the DPF is accomplished by an extra injection of fuel in the exhaust stroke so that uncombusted fuel goes into the catalytic converter. The fuel is oxidized in the catcon and the resulting heat of combustion raises the exhaust temperature in the DPF high enough to permit oxidation of the carbon in the soot captured by the DPF.

Presumably Volvo tested this system with straight diesel fuel and found no unexpected complications. But the UK (and Europe in general I think) instituted a mandate that required all road diesel to contain biodiesel at some modest level like 5 to 10%. Biodiesel is less volatile than petroleum diesel and in the DPF regeneration the biodiesel component condenses on the cylinder walls and slips past the piston rings and into the engine oil. The crankcase ventilation system will not remove biodiesel from the engine oil. Over time the level of biodiesel in the engine oil increases and the level of the engine oil rises over the maximum to the point where engine damage can result.

Volvo has dealt with this problem by recommending that the engine oil be maintained at less than maximum so there is a safety cushion. Also Volvo have made a software change which somehow ameliorates this problem, but they are not saying what that change is. Your vehicle may have the new software, but you should perhaps confirm this with the dealer.
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 14:58   #14
Jim314
Premier Member

Swedish economist Bjørn Lomborg thinks the biofuels mandates in the US and in Europe are a mistake. http://www.slate.com/id/2287905/
Jim314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 11:54   #15
Brian Barber

Default Help needed :

I have an 04 plate V70 which has just come up with the engine system message (Amber Triangle - no car performance problems). I found a fiddle on a US forum which allows me to read the DTCs, but I have no way of translating them into anything useful/intelligible.
Read out examples : "BCM CHECKING" "ECM DTC SET" "SWM READY" - there are 14 of them all told. Can anyone advise how to interpret them - or am I just supposed to hand over the car and a blank cheque to my friendly Volvo dealer ?
Brian Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:32   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barber View Post
I have an 04 plate V70 which has just come up with the engine system message (Amber Triangle - no car performance problems). I found a fiddle on a US forum which allows me to read the DTCs, but I have no way of translating them into anything useful/intelligible.
Read out examples : "BCM CHECKING" "ECM DTC SET" "SWM READY" - there are 14 of them all told. Can anyone advise how to interpret them - or am I just supposed to hand over the car and a blank cheque to my friendly Volvo dealer ?
All that function does is to say which control units have faults codes in them , and yours is the Engine Control unit which you guessed no doubt ..
Old May 25th, 2013, 16:25   #17
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westyman View Post
I really must check that real dipstick on mine rather than the silly electronic one
Where is the real dipstick ? I thought they didn't have one.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 16:31   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Where is the real dipstick ? I thought they didn't have one.
they have one for "service use " it is right down on the edge of the sump at the front of the engine slightly left of centre as you look at it , a grey handle . you must leave it 15 mins before checking though and when changing oil just add 5.5 litres and it wont upset the dash oil gauge , which by the way takes 18 miles to update when the oil level is changed after a service .
Old May 25th, 2013, 17:09   #19
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
they have one for "service use " it is right down on the edge of the sump at the front of the engine slightly left of centre as you look at it , a grey handle . you must leave it 15 mins before checking though and when changing oil just add 5.5 litres and it wont upset the dash oil gauge , which by the way takes 18 miles to update when the oil level is changed after a service .
Can you see it from the top ( engine bay ) or do you need to get underneath ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 21:38   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Can you see it from the top ( engine bay ) or do you need to get underneath ?
yes you can just about see it and pull it out if you have long thin arms , otherwise it is easier to access from below after tray removal .