Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Time to say goodbye

Views : 1386

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2011, 15:06   #1
Gapples

Default Time to say goodbye

Well I'd like to say thank you to everyone who has helped over the last few years of S40 ownership, but with my wallet now threatening to ressemble a sieve I've decided not to go down the line of my sister ( who owned a V50 ) which cost her thousands in repairs before she chopped it in, one problem after the other, so I've traded mine in today. Bought a Honda ( Hopefully a dam sight more reliable ! )

Volvo ( plus a few others ) need to realise people buying these vehicles second hand simply cannot afford labour rates of £115 per hour. I worked as an agricultural engineer all my life which involves repairing machines way more complicated than a car & they are just charging about £60 an hour now !
Gapples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 16:12   #2
Will22

Sorry to hear your going, what Honda did you buy?
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 17:03   #3
Guru
Premier Member

It really is a lottery with these Volvos, some reach 150,000 miles with only basic maintenance and without a hiccup, others start breaking down at only 5k miles

Enjoy the Honda
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 18:41   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
It really is a lottery with these Volvos, some reach 150,000 miles with only basic maintenance and without a hiccup, others start breaking down at only 5k miles

Enjoy the Honda
yep same with Hondas too and BMW's ....
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 18:51   #5
kebab10
Premier Member

Default Time to say goodbye

I for one would never ever buy a Honda. Other Japanese cars are okay, Honda is one car I shall never ever own. And I WILL go to my grave and never watch" Sound of Music".
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 20:47   #6
Lee '71

Hi Gapples, I hope you haven't been too hasty. My Anti Skid Service Required on my 2006 V50 2.0D Sport was fixed free of charge due to a 'known' fault with the Brake Control Module. The fault is with certain chassis numbers in certain year cars only and yours "probably" would have been fixed FOC too.

Good luck with your Honda and remember that ALL main dealers labour rate is sky high and you need to find a decent, trustworthy independent garage for a better price.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 23:08   #7
Dave Z

Well, i don't think i've ever come close to £115/hr at my local Volvo dealer so far. Infact, my V50 has been off the road all week (my choice) after it started making some nasty sounds and the check engine light came on, yet when it went in for its service and MOT today it passed its MOT and the problem causing the noise was done under warranty. Total extra cost to me £0. Infact, the only thing my V50 has cost me so far (besides regular servicing) was £200 for a new tail light after one of my LED stop lights failed. That's the stupid thing about the newer LED brake lights. One step forward, three steps back.
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 00:51   #8
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Imo, the most reliable cars are the 3-4 year old motorway repmobiles with full company car service history.

You effectively get a nearly new car, with an engine that's been run in, and all the little dealer fixes/recalls have already been done for a fraction of the cost of a brand new one.

4 years ago I'd NEVER touch a motorway miles car, but now my mind has been completely changed.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 01:11   #9
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton_jd View Post
Imo, the most reliable cars are the 3-4 year old motorway repmobiles with full company car service history.

You effectively get a nearly new car, with an engine that's been run in, and all the little dealer fixes/recalls have already been done for a fraction of the cost of a brand new one.

4 years ago I'd NEVER touch a motorway miles car, but now my mind has been completely changed.
This is VERY TRUE ..... I have ALWAYS bought "rep-mobiles" .. High Mileage OH YES!! but all the faults are fixed by Main Dealers at the Company Expense ... No "Back St Fook up" garages ect ... A "Rep Motor" is most Deffo the BEST second Hand Car to buy NO QUESTION
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2011, 09:21   #10
v40bart
Master Member

Totally unrelated, but you must be an 'Event horizon' fan as you have a latin phrase from the movie in you signature... Right, Claw?

Last edited by v40bart; Jul 8th, 2011 at 10:27.
v40bart is offline   Reply With Quote