Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what to do, what to do....thoughts?

Views : 1285

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:36   #1
jimbolya

Unhappy what to do, what to do....thoughts?

ok, putting it basically, my 245 is on its way out, unless i put up the cash and save it. It needs a new head gasket, rocker gasket, 2 new rear wheel arches, brake work, and handling and suspension work all round....

none of these things am i competent enough to tackle myself, plus i don't have the room.

all in all i reckon it would cost about £600-£1000 to get her how i want.

Is it worth it? i paid £300 18 months ago, it cost me £200 to get through the last MOT which was last august.
I really don't want to get rid of her and heaven forbid scrap her, but i can't help thinking that without doing the work myself, its throwing money down a pit.

Plus, if i was to take her off the road, i would need another car anyways as the volvo is my daily driver.

I just don't know what to do. I've been eyeing up amazons over the past few months and really would like one.

any thoughts....
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 03:54   #2
jimbolya

and to top it all.....I changed the fan belt before a trip to cardiff at the weekend, and ever since, the dash lights (brake failure, parking brake, oil, alt) all flash on and off randomly, like something has come loose and keeps connecting every few seconds.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:34   #3
Erling
VOC member

I can't comment on what is worth repairing or not. But the flickering lights after a fan belt change might indicate that the thin red wire from the generator might be on its way out. Either the connections, or damaged insulation. I'd check there first.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:48   #4
morsing
Premier Member

It could be as simple as the belt sliping?

I'n my opinion it's worth fixing the car. Buy another 240 for £300 while you do it (or get it done). It's also a matter of owning a car that you know well rather than buying a new one.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 08:53   #5
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Hi Jimboyla,
Can your 'dad' give you some fatherly advice? Whilst the Amazon might be very tempting it is also likely to need money spending repairs doing. I ran one myself in the late 90s for two years. It was very reliable but it did take quite a bit of money and time to keep it running. Without the skills to repair it don't consider one as a daily driver although they are well up to it. I've run in the past a lot of 240s whilst the kids were young and had no money to repair them which explains why I still have a rather large collection of spares and project cars kicking round. I already had the basic skills but had a lot to learn. this is how I, and my sons, are now advising others. We found ourselves repairing other peoples cars as well.
So what I am is saying is you are going to need to arm yourself with a Haynes manual and some basic tools (with the benefit of this forum) and get stuck in on your own car. Seriously though with what you are saying about your car my advice is it is not economice to repair. If you are talking of spending that sort of money look for another in much better condition. You must know the car well enough to know a good one when you see it. They are about but be careful, don't just go for the first one unless it is upo to scratch. If you can't afford the lump sum you'll have no choice but to do work as it comes up but I can say from experience it is likely to cost a lot. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
My GLT came for free 2years ago and needed minor work for MOT - in the last 2 years and 75,000 miles I have spent quite a lot mainly because i intend keeping it and cover high mileage. I am now looking at having spent on mechanics that its time to catch the bodywork this year, do a few small repairs and respray. If I don't I'd give the car about 3 years before it will need serious repairs.
I hope the above will help you decide. I would keep your car for spares if possible
Best of luck

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:42   #6
jimbolya

thanks to all the replies guys. I'm gonna need to make a decision aren't I, ooh i hate having to decide. The car was throwing out quite a bit of smoke today on the way home, probably oil burning off. My mate has offered to help me and learn together how to change the gaskets, so thats a good thing, provided we can do it! If we can, then i will be keeping her and getting the other work done, as that will take a major chunk out of the garage costs. I'll also clean up the engine and bay while we are there.
oh and i'll have a look at the wires while we are there aswell.
I agree with everything that has been said, i learnt my lesson money wise with my old camper, cost me a fortune, so if i can keep this one and save money then its all good.
ya know when you just think, sod it all, i'll get a bike! haha lol.

I really want to keep this car as it has been great to own and rarely needs anything doing apart from putting petrol and oil in.

I'd love to get it looking "stock" as thats my preference with cars, especially older ones, but i think i am realising, that i just don't have the capital yet to own and run a fully classic car. maybe after learning a few more things and getting a better job aye.

i'll let you all know how it goes, gonna try not to use it much over the weekend, and get stuck in on monday.

any tips for gasket changing? list of do's don'ts and while your there's?

jimbo
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:49   #7
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Hi Jimboyla,
If you need any help any time just shout. A lot of things are easier to discuss over phone. You can call me anytime 01407 832290. You need to ascertain engine condition before doing anything with it. Even burning oil and noisy they can often go on fairly well for quite a while - just a bit expensive on oil. I would suggest a chat before you start on anything and I'll try to give my best advice for your situation.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 19:11   #8
LankyTim
Missing the point

Ill just thow my opinion in! The cheapest car you can own is the one youve already got, it may cost money to keep on the road, but atleast you know where you stand with it. You could go out and buy a similar model and find out a month or so down the line its on its last legs.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 08:39   #9
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I agree, there is a lot of advantage in keeping the car you already know. If you can afford it and have the space, my advice would be to buy another one, not bothering too much about appearance but running and with a long MOT. Then you can at more leisure set about restoring the one you have (or the other, if it turned out to be better). As work progresses, you can take the best bits from each, and at the end of the day you have a good source of parts.
You will end up knowing a lot about your car, and in a good position to assess any other bits you might need to pull of other scrap cars.
There are big advantages in running one car but having another the same in reserve or as a source of bits.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:28   #10
LankyTim
Missing the point

Having a donor car in reserve is great, but you need the space to do it! Its amazing the amount of room a car takes up when its in a dismantled state
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote