Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Electrics failing temporarily

Views : 735

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2013, 12:47   #1
exasperated

Default Electrics failing temporarily

In car last week, turned engine off, finished my phonecall (on handsfree of course) for a minute, no more and then got out of car to find that it wouldn't lock, dials dead, no nothing. Put key in, nothing, not even the clock. Within 5 minutes I tried again and the power was restored but the time clock had gone to 0.00. Everything ok for a few days then readio refused to work. Totally dead. Nav worked, as did everything else. Then fine again within 5 minutes.

Today, turned engiine off and before I could get out the radio and electrics went again. Same as last time. Within 2 minutes I got it working again and it started without any problems whatsoever. But clock had gone to 0.00 again and needed the time resetting again.

Has anyone else had this? It's booked into Volvo at the end of next week, but the Sales Manager hadn't heard of this happening to any cars before, let alone any XC60's, so not hopeful that they will fix it.

Any ideas anyone? Clan, I'd especially like to pick your brains.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 15:19   #2
Brodick
Master Member

Off the top of my head - Battery!

I have never had any issues with either of my xc60's but
I am sure there were a few who did have battery issues

could be wrong but worth checking
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 15:27   #3
exasperated

Do you think battery failure would do this?
Surely I'd then have more issues on start up rather than just having switched engine off? I'm wondering if its more to do with the electrics or the management system? But, having said that, at the moment I do lots of short journeys which is different from normal.
Old Jun 18th, 2013, 15:38   #4
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperated View Post
In car last week, turned engine off, finished my phonecall (on handsfree of course) for a minute, no more and then got out of car to find that it wouldn't lock, dials dead, no nothing. Put key in, nothing, not even the clock. Within 5 minutes I tried again and the power was restored but the time clock had gone to 0.00. Everything ok for a few days then readio refused to work. Totally dead. Nav worked, as did everything else. Then fine again within 5 minutes.

Today, turned engiine off and before I could get out the radio and electrics went again. Same as last time. Within 2 minutes I got it working again and it started without any problems whatsoever. But clock had gone to 0.00 again and needed the time resetting again.

Has anyone else had this? It's booked into Volvo at the end of next week, but the Sales Manager hadn't heard of this happening to any cars before, let alone any XC60's, so not hopeful that they will fix it.

Any ideas anyone? Clan, I'd especially like to pick your brains.
I had a similar problem with a early XC90.
Problem traced to a slack connection on battery terminal.

tem.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 08:06   #5
Crockers
Premier Member

I've had the radio not working. Then next time I start car no problems.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 10:01   #6
stu0710
Master Member

I had a similar issue but the car wasn't completely dead. I had an odd problem last week, when exiting the car, I shut the drivers door and then locked it on the remote but nothing happened. No reassuring clunk and no locks popping? I tried all the doors to make sure that they were shut still no luck. I got in and restarted / stopped and got out again - the locks wouldn't close and a door open light was on. I thought it may be one of the door close sensors had stuck - still nothing and eventually tracked it down to the connector which provides power etc to the rear door. It had come slightly loose and lost contact. I pushed it home and bingo - problem solved.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 17:46   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

I have experienced similar to this before and the strange things that happened were mind boggling. ('christmas tree' dashboard warning lights then totally dead - then 'christmas tree' dashboard warning lights then totally dead etc etc)

More than likely it could be a loose connection somewhere, that is connected one minute but not making connection the next. Check all wiring to and from the alternator and check all wiring to and from the battery.Check the alternator is putting out the correct voltage ie not to high and not too low. Check there is no voltage drop from what the alternator is chucking out and what the battery is receiving. Check battery is holding its charge.

Replace alternator if found to be intermittently faulty.Replace all wiring and ensure secure.(thats what they did for me).Check all wiring that is connected to, and involved with, the stop/start.Check fuses are all securely located. Good idea to check the actual charge in the battery and the functioning of the battery. Replace if dodgy. (thats what they did for me)

I am not technical, but this is what happened with me.

Good luck.

Ps could of course be software related maybe? Clan should know maybe?

Late Edit...and also even if the wires are all secure, they could have broken down inside.

Last edited by volvorocks; Jun 19th, 2013 at 18:30.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote