Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Variable Valve Timing Pulley & Solenoid

Views : 47253

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 17:30   #11
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjMatthew View Post
how is that build? i mean whats inside vvt pulley that broke up? i have same problem but mechanic said thats vvt selenoid fault, because when he unplugs wire noise dissapears. I dont want to pay for part i dont need to change.
......have a read here, quite interesting......

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 22:45   #12
LadyCatherine

Talking Varible Timing Pulley

Hi, i have Volvo V40 1.8 Petrol, and i have been told that i need a new Varible timing pulley. My local Volvo Garage has told me that its gonna cost £400 plus VAT to fix it. Now the noise sounds like wurring noise and its intermitant, Its also using more fuel too, now the garage has told me that this is what happens when this pulley goes and also that the timing would be out aswell., ( i wouldnt know coz i am a girl ).
Its just gone through an M.O.T and it has 6 months tax on, i dont wanna get rid of the car if i dont need to, as i need it to get to and from college. Is there anyone out there that can help me because i would really like the car fixed.
If this is the problem then would it be advisible to change the cellinoid aswell and if so is it gonna cost more than the car is worth.
LadyCatherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 22:55   #13
andy_d
Premier Member

£400 all in for a VVT change @ a main dealer isnt too bad at all, it Will affect your MPG, the engine will also be down on power Either at the lower end or the upper end (depending on where/how the VVT has stuck/failed)

it is worth getting replaced as the improved MPG is noticeable, as is the better driving characteristics (it drives a lot nicer)

Depending on When your car last had a cambelt change, it Might pay you to get the dealer to replace that at the same time. No more work or time needed to do that as they Have to take the belt off to do the vvt pulley. you would have to pay for the belt tho. (or batt eyelids and get them to chuck it in with the £)

the solenoid "generally" doesnt go faulty its the VVT pulley itself 9.5 times out of 10
for referance it was nearly £400 20months ago for me to get mine changed at a very good indie.

V40's hold there £ well, so it wont / cant be worth more than the car is worth @ £400 to fix it, not with just having past a mot.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 19:01   #14
matt182
VOC Member

Hi guys, have a question about the vvt, father in law got his pulley changed 2 years ago, done about 15k and noise is back. Disconnected the solenoid and noise goes. Has any one heard of a replaced pulley failing? And has anyone got any specs to do a more in-depth diagnostic of the solenoid? Others seem to be 3.7ohms is this correct for 1.8i

Last edited by matt182; Sep 12th, 2011 at 19:04.
matt182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 19:09   #15
gatos
Premier Member

Was it an original Volvo VVT or an aftermarket one?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 19:33   #16
andy_d
Premier Member

yes they can fail, all depends on the quality of oil you use, the frequency of change of said oil + filter , type of driving *lots of short trips = sludgy oil > blocks the filter doobery >fails sooner than later.

yes the noise Will go when you d/c the solenoid,as it isnt trying to move the failed/broken cam shaft timing pulley, back to the dealer/indie you go for another, and make sure its a Gen volvo one, they last longer.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 19:52   #17
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
yes they can fail, all depends on the quality of oil you use, the frequency of change of said oil + filter , type of driving *lots of short trips = sludgy oil > blocks the filter doobery >fails sooner than later.

yes the noise Will go when you d/c the solenoid,as it isnt trying to move the failed/broken cam shaft timing pulley, back to the dealer/indie you go for another, and make sure its a Gen volvo one, they last longer.
much much longer

Nullius in Verba
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 21:53   #18
chrhome

Hi,

I have a s40 p1 1.9d. I have similar characteristics to all these symptoms. A rattle at low revs. Dissapears when goes above 2000 rpm. No apparent loss in mpg though. Still get circa 50mpg. Got timing belt done at 160k and in it since then. Brought it back to garage and they reckoned it was nothing. At 185k now with 2 services in between and still there. No worse or better. Been with volvo indie also and he did not know what it was. Any ideas?
Sorry to hijak thread by the way :-)
chrhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 19:15   #19
cbaldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufe View Post
chances are its the puley not the solenoid that causing the noise.

what generally happens is the garage doing the work disconnects the solenoid, the noise stops and they misdiagnose the fault as being the solenoid. they change that, that noise is still there, the dealer wont accept the solenoid back as its been fitted then they change they vvt pulley and all is well. From the cases i have seen its almost allwasy been the VVT pulley thas been the problem, thoguh obviously to change this take a lot more than changing the solenoid, which if this cures it then you save a bigger job, which may be why some people change this first of all.

i can provide these parts with a discount, but its up to you to tell me what you wish to order. if you wish to also have a solenoid to be sure then its up to you, and could well be the fault as they can be the cause of the noise, but from my experience nearly every time its been the pulley thats the problem. if your timing belt hasnt been done for a while nows the time to do it too really.

VVT PULLEY:
P/n 6900015
Volvo Price: £122.79 inc vat
Our Price: £104.38 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £4.20 Royal Mail Parcel force
Availability: Will be in stock and posted the same day if ordered by 1pm (weekdays)

as for the solenoid there are a couple of options depending on the engine type and year of the car

VVT SOLENOID & GASKET:
Pn: 9454789 & 30731212 (requires details to be sure of correct part)
Volvo Price: £112.39 inc vat
Our Price: £95.53 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £2.80 Royal Mail 2nd Class recorded delivery
Availability: Will be in stock and posted the same day if ordered by 1pm (weekdays)

too many options for the timing belt with zero information on the car, so will need you to pm me the reg or vin of car if you require a price of that

Total postage for the solenoid, gasket and the vvt pulley (and a belt if required) would be £6.85 Royal Mail parcel force.

Hope this helps

Simon
Hi,

thanks for the advice, sounds bang on from what ive heard elsewhere, it sounds like i will be getting the VVT pulley replaced, can you give me a price to supply/deliver these to myself, i live in glasgow area also how much should i pay garage to install the VVT pulley?

volvo s40 2001 1.6 petrol 85K

Many thanks
cbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 19:35   #20
gatos
Premier Member

To contact Rufe (Simon) have a look here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...&postcount=368

01792 790066 or 01792 784272 - Quoting discount code: C3

Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9:00am until 17:00pm (excluding bank holidays).

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: