Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tigar tyres - any good or complete crap?

Views : 53528

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2009, 12:24   #11
Dandle
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunchukhamster View Post
I know nothing about their quality, but they are actually Serbian, and one of the major shareholders in the firm is Michelin.
That doesnt suprise me at all. Continental tyres actually own several different tyre companies inc. Barum and Uniroyal. Its to try and capture different parts of the market with the premium brand still being Conti.
Dandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 13:15   #12
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandle View Post
That doesnt suprise me at all. Continental tyres actually own several different tyre companies inc. Barum and Uniroyal. Its to try and capture different parts of the market with the premium brand still being Conti.
Indeed. The one thing that still surprises me is how few people know about Vredestein tyres which are most definitely not a budget brand but still pretty rare in the UK.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 13:40   #13
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Indeed. The one thing that still surprises me is how few people know about Vredestein tyres which are most definitely not a budget brand but still pretty rare in the UK.
Thinking of gettin a set of them next, my dads had them on his avensis and he rates them quite highly.
tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 13:52   #14
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Thinking of gettin a set of them next, my dads had them on his avensis and he rates them quite highly.
I first had some a couple of years ago when I put them on my wifes Ford Probe (now sold before abuse starts), since then they are the only tyres I've bought for our Passat and C70. They've handled everything I've thrown at them so far (ranging from regular day to day use to autobahn bashing to laps at the Nurburgring) and have been very good.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 20:34   #15
keithyboy
Master Member

By coincidence I bought a spare wheel for my Alfa which has a Tigar somethingorother on it which I threw on the left front earlier. It's peeing down out there and it had a lot more bite than the (admittedly old but not massively worn) Mich which was on there before.

My blog
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
LOOK AT MY RUBBISH BLOG
keithyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 21:13   #16
Nocomplaints1977
S40R The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Had two sets and were good wet or dry plus far quieter then Michelins that were on before.
Running the new Avon ZV's (think its ZV5 now) and found them good wet or dry, fairly quiet too plus the whole set was £300 .
Budget tyres just = spin spin spin in most gears for me in the wet, useless.

Gaz
Nocomplaints1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 10:00   #17
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
By coincidence I bought a spare wheel for my Alfa which has a Tigar somethingorother on it which I threw on the left front earlier. It's peeing down out there and it had a lot more bite than the (admittedly old but not massively worn) Mich which was on there before.
read the section about the renault 80mph space saver, i believe age as well as wear can massively deteriate a tyres performance.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...vers_safe.html
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 15:16   #18
S40_Paul
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
tigar primas

http://www.reifendirekt.de/review/11...entestcom.html

s40__paul, i have found Toyos to be great in everything apart from snow, when we had a bad spell before christmas i spent most of the time sat still with my wheels spinning, seems to be a popular opinion as well

http://www.reifendirekt.de/review/11...entestcom.html
Well I'll take it they must be due to reading that but I must be honest they handled alot better than my older tyre's so to me they were brilliant!...hate to think ow I'd been without Toyo's if the Toyo's are regarded as bad in snow!!!

Either way I'll be fitting Toyo's all round once I can afford to.

S40_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 15:57   #19
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by S40_Paul View Post
Well I'll take it they must be due to reading that but I must be honest they handled alot better than my older tyre's so to me they were brilliant!...hate to think ow I'd been without Toyo's if the Toyo's are regarded as bad in snow!!!

Either way I'll be fitting Toyo's all round once I can afford to.
wont be needing new tyres for a while but if i did, i think i wouldnt go for toyo's. the price seems to have shot up by about £20 a tyre since i bought mine. thats putting them in the same price range as dunlops, pirellis and contis.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 17:42   #20
t4 b4192

Default cheap tyres at camskill performance

hi to all,i thought i would put views and advice forward,my opinion on cheap tyres is that they are false economy and like many others have said on here,a good tyre can save your life and a bad one can end it in extreme cases,to cut a long story short i had a very close shave quite a few years ago with a set of cheap tyres,in less than 10k the front ones were very badly worn and after a very big scare i swapped them for continentals and it totally transformed the car and restored my confidence,anyway i'm in the market for a pair of tyres myself and came accross camskill performance,who amongst other thing sell tyres,my size 205/50/16 87w here are a few prices,falken fk 452 £44.70,avon zv5 £58.80,toyo proxes t1r £58.82,goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 £68.50 to name but a few,i fancy the avon zv5 myself as found the zz3 a decent tyre previously,hope this is of some help