Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

440 immobiliser

Views : 7767

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 00:30   #1
Eva Martin

I have just lost my only key fob which controls the immobiliser.
I think I threw it in the bin by mistake and the dustbin men came this morning!
I've a spare key, so I can get into the car, but can't start the engine with out immobilising the immobiliser.

Can anyone help? Is there any way to disarm the immobiliser other than calling a dealer and paying though the nose?
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 02:38   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 440 immobiliser

According to Haynes the immobiliser (post January 1995 models) can only be deactivated by the key fob. It is incorporated into the Central Locking system and cuts ignition,starter and fuelpump circuits. The reccomendation from Haynes is to take it to a dealer who will supply a new fob and do the necessary to set it for the car.

The dealer should have the necessary test gear to sort it out.

However you could try and see if this will work: unlock the car and disconnect the battery for about an hour (remember your radio code before you do) then reconnect the battery and see if the immobiliser/alarm has been reset to unoperated condition enabling the car to be started and run OK. If this fails then you will have to resort to the dealer.

All the best, Peter
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 22:45   #3
drivesavolvo

Default RE: 440 immobiliser

Hi, yes you can bypass the immobiliser on some 400 models. You will find the keyless entry module under the dashboard on the drivers side of the car. Locate it and remove the unit from its frame WITHOUT disconnecting the wires. Remove the smaller of the 2 plugs and try to start the car. On SOME models this will work and still allow you to centrally lock the car with the remote. Take the car straight to the 'agents' and have them supply and code a new key fob.
The fob is approx £45.00 + VAT but i am unsure of the coding cost.

Regards. Keith
drivesavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 19:07   #4
Eva Martin

Thanks very much to both of you for your advice. Luckily our neighbour had found our key fob on the ground and had kept it for me. Going to go out and get another key fob as soon as possible. Do you know if it is possible to program a new key fob using an original key fob?

Thanks very much!!
Eva.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 18:58   #5
carl4u44
Master Member

Yes you can reprogramme your fob.

Place the test cable into socket 1.

Turn the ignition on to Key Position 2.

Enter Diagnostic Test Mode 5 by pressing the button five times for about half a second each time.

The LED will flash and stay lit up, waiting for you to enter the code: 3-3-4

Press the button 3 times, then it will stay lit

Press the button 3 times again, it will stay lit,

Press the button 4 times and finally hitting the lock/unlock buttons,

It will flash back 1-1-x, x being the number of key fobs programmed (up to 4 at one time).

It can be tricky but keep trying. Youll need to turn off your ignition to test the fob after this.

When you get into the swing of entering these codes the diagnostic tool will talk back!

heres the link I used to help me, but the hardest part is getting into the rythem of typing in the codes inorder to get a respone etc.

http://www.am.torun.pl/%7Eja/volvo/a...obilizer.shtml
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 10:44   #6
murraysr

Default volvo 440 immobiliser bypass

Hi, I have an N reg 440. The battery died (due to a loose battery connection I think) and I kept pressing unlock on the key fob to try to start it; not long afterwards the key fob became completely inoperative. That was 2 weeks ago. I tried a lot of things, sorned it and was about to phone the scrap man...but this is what finally worked:

Take out the "immobiliser" fuse - 7th from the right in the top row of fuses on my car. This allows the key to turn to position 3 and turn the starter, and operates the fuel pump (I could smell the petrol), but the engine won't fire. Disconnecting one or both plugs from the keyless entry module didn't work on my model.

To get the ignition to work, take out the glove box lining. Tucked in behind it, on the right hand side, is a long relay. Pull it off, and connect a wire across the two opposite terminals that are at right angles to each other. This effectively switches the relay on. And the engine started. I don't need the fob any more. But there is now no central locking.

Hope this helps.
murraysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2019, 19:07   #7
marcofshj

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysr View Post
Hi, I have an N reg 440. The battery died (due to a loose battery connection I think) and I kept pressing unlock on the key fob to try to start it; not long afterwards the key fob became completely inoperative. That was 2 weeks ago. I tried a lot of things, sorned it and was about to phone the scrap man...but this is what finally worked:

Take out the "immobiliser" fuse - 7th from the right in the top row of fuses on my car. This allows the key to turn to position 3 and turn the starter, and operates the fuel pump (I could smell the petrol), but the engine won't fire. Disconnecting one or both plugs from the keyless entry module didn't work on my model.

To get the ignition to work, take out the glove box lining. Tucked in behind it, on the right hand side, is a long relay. Pull it off, and connect a wire across the two opposite terminals that are at right angles to each other. This effectively switches the relay on. And the engine started. I don't need the fob any more. But there is now no central locking.

Hope this helps.
Hi, I unplugged the immobiliser fuses which allowed the engine to turn over, but I can’t figure out the second part with the wire across the relay. Do you by any chance have any photos of the relay you’re talking about? Would really appreciate your help right now! Hoping that you still visit this forum...

Thanks
marcofshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:09   #8
ciderman

Default Immobiliser anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcofshj View Post
Hi, I unplugged the immobiliser fuses which allowed the engine to turn over, but I can’t figure out the second part with the wire across the relay. Do you by any chance have any photos of the relay you’re talking about? Would really appreciate your help right now! Hoping that you still visit this forum...

Thanks
I am watching with interest- we have recently bought a P reg 440 1.8 and it will only start if I switch the central locking on and off. 4 years ago my wife's 2.0 cd (wonderful car) turned itself off and after months of tearing it apart trying to find the bloody thing we scrapped the car. Volvorama had a 440 which an auto spark had adapted to start using a rocker switch to energise the car and a button to start it. he had removed the ignition barrel so the key was only used to open doors- which is sensible.... have just bought some more 2016 batteries for the fob... let me know how you get on.
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 19:34   #9
marcofshj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciderman View Post
I am watching with interest- we have recently bought a P reg 440 1.8 and it will only start if I switch the central locking on and off. 4 years ago my wife's 2.0 cd (wonderful car) turned itself off and after months of tearing it apart trying to find the bloody thing we scrapped the car. Volvorama had a 440 which an auto spark had adapted to start using a rocker switch to energise the car and a button to start it. he had removed the ignition barrel so the key was only used to open doors- which is sensible.... have just bought some more 2016 batteries for the fob... let me know how you get on.
It is really frustrating, the car runs brilliantly but will not turn on...

Mine's also P reg. How do you switch the central locking on and off? By taking out a fuse? If I have to do that every time to start the car I'd rather do that then scrap it lol
marcofshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 15:03   #10
aruizmoya

Default No answer after pressing 5 times

[QUOTE=carl4u44;591314]Yes you can reprogramme your fob.

In this point of your process:

"Enter Diagnostic Test Mode 5 by pressing the button five times for about half a second each time."

I tried to do this in my V440 1995 19TD and no any led answer.
Any suggestion?
aruizmoya is offline   Reply With Quote