Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant issues, no overheating and can’t find leak

Views : 1350

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 09:48   #21
Stalledvolvos90

Well I think since using it I’m loosing less coolant than when I first posted this thread.
The car is running way smoother which is a surprise but because I was wasn’t sure about using the stop leak I didn’t do what it recommended. After using stop leak the coolant level dropped but that’s because it went to where the leak is. The bottle says when it gets cold to top it up with more stop leak but I used regular coolant instead. At work I always park on a slight up hill which is good for the air lock.
Stalledvolvos90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stalledvolvos90 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 09:51   #22
Stalledvolvos90

Timing belt has a sticker on the cover saying it was done at 190000km. I’m on 300000km and expect I have to change it pretty soon.
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 09:51   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalledvolvos90 View Post
Well I think since using it I’m loosing less coolant than when I first posted this thread.
The car is running way smoother which is a surprise but because I was wasn’t sure about using the stop leak I didn’t do what it recommended. After using stop leak the coolant level dropped but that’s because it went to where the leak is. The bottle says when it gets cold to top it up with more stop leak but I used regular coolant instead. At work I always park on a slight up hill which is good for the air lock.
No doubt the smoother running (and probably improved fuel economy too) is due to the fact the CTS is now getting heated by the coolant that should be heating it and not just the air from an air lock round it.

See how things go, no road trips to the outback until you're sure though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 09:53   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalledvolvos90 View Post
Timing belt has a sticker on the cover saying it was done at 190000km. I’m on 300000km and expect I have to change it pretty soon.
Timing belt, tensioner and water pump then - might kill two birds with one stone that way!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 09:55   #25
Stalledvolvos90

When you say no trips to the outback, should I avoid driving places an hour away. Or you mean massive trips.
I’ll research about air locks now. Was going to crack open the cap tomorrow morning and see if it still holds pressure over nignt after it’s had many hours to cool down
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 10:12   #26
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

An hour away you should be ok but keep an eye on the temperature gauge, should stay more or less at the halfway point once warmed up.

When i said the outback, i meant massive trips.

Shouldn't be any pressure in the system when it's cold and you haven't started it. If you check the level, top up if needed, refit the cap and start up and let it run for a couple of minutes then switch off, you should be able to remove the cap and still have no pressure in there.

Old Feb 26th, 2020, 10:48   #27
Stalledvolvos90

So sorry to keep bumping laird I think you made a breakthrough with teaching a newbie about the ways of the old sweedish beast.
It seems as when I was talking about pressure in the overflow tank, I had used the car for an hour long trip and opened the tank to top up an hour later. I think my car at those times must of still been quite warm. My car was parked since I arrived home from work today at 7pm and it’s now almost 10. I opened the coolant tank and didn’t feel any pressure. I drove the car to the service station 5 minutes away and checked the tank and it made the smallest pressure sound. Very minor. So maybe it is not okay but many thanks for your help. It sounds as I might be in a quite normal situation. I know I need to learn more but this sort of stuff really helps me. In terms of paint and panel I do well in my trade but just never really learnt about other parts of the automotive industry.