Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing capacity for 240 GL.

Views : 11247

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 10:08   #31
expat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
Those figures you quote are the max recommended for an un-braked trailer. We do a lot of towing of cars on a trailer and certainly another 240 on a trailer (about 2 tonnnes) is a very easy tow (especially with a 2.3) Adequate nose -weight is essential and there is no problem of being pushed if the trailer brakes are functioning as designed.

My sone uses his GLT to tow a 22' 4wheel caravan about 1.5 tonne and finds it tows very well.

There is a question mark over legality of weight towed. The Vin plate does not specify a figure. If using a volvo towbar these are rated at 1500kg so you could be in trouble if the plate is on the towbar.

It is impossible to be prosecuted over weight as regards a specific weight the only possible offence would be drivng a car and trailer dangerously loaded. The one case brought against my son towing a classic Range Rover was dropped at court. It would have been hard to prove as we could give evidence of 100,000+ miles of towing similair weights without any incident over a period spanning 20+ years.

Mike
As 57RKL says these are braked weights as here in the UK it is illegal to to any trailer with an MTPLM of greater than 750Kg unless it is independantly braked.

All "type approved" vehicles (post 98 / 99 I think but must check on that) must have a plate on the towbar stating the max towball loading and the max towing limit for the bar. Failure to do so invalidates type approval and is illegal. Number of years doing something without incident is not a defence for brealing the law. You don't say what he was towing the Rangie with but if it was a 240 or the likes then he was in excess of the max tow limit of the car and is lucky that he didn't get the book thrown at him. Towing regulations have changed in the last 20 years (it's not the free for all it use to be). I know all this as it's one of the things I do as a mod on a caravanning forum.

Then you have the max tow limit of the car itself (just to complicate things further). For example my towbar on my V70 states max ball loading 90Kg and max tow limit 2000Kg however the car is only rated at a max tow limit of 1600Kg. If I go above this I am illegal and therefore uninsured.

A lot of attention has recently been cast on towing in general and caravans specifically. VOSA are starting to pull more vans over for "spot checks" and they are not afraid to stick you on a set of scales if you fail then not only will you be prosecuted but they will also stop you from taking the "trailer anyfurther till you have a vehicle legally capable of towing it.

Last edited by expat1; Jun 5th, 2011 at 10:17.
expat1 is offline   Reply With Quote