Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2001 phase 2 v70 towbar

Views : 2181

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2012, 08:11   #1
squibbie

Default 2001 phase 2 v70 towbar

want a v70 phase 2 towbar prefer volvo with electrics
squibbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 16:30   #2
hymerbeliever

Default I've got a tow bar for sale

Hi
I just had this fitted: Westfalia detachable 320050 -
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/v70-estate-...towbar-en.html
with dedicated Volvo 13 pin electrics. I have a receipt for around £500. Beautiful tow bar - completely invisible when detached.

Their website suggests that the tow bar will fit your car, too -
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/v70-estate-...towbar-en.html
(same part number)

Not sure about the dedicated electrics, though - you can see that I have "13 pin '04 -'07 29260502". You'd have to make some enquiries to see if that was suitable for your earlier car.

The towbar has never been used and the detachable tow ball/arm has never been attached to the car.....all brand new.

I had a rush of blood at the weekend and bought an XC70 with a towbar already fitted. I am trading in my V70, but will be removing the towbar to sell so that I can get back something from my rash purchase!

£250 if you want the electrics, too.....£180 for the towbar. I'm having it removed by my independent Volvo mechanic tomorrow (more expense) - or you could always buy my lovely V70 for £4500 and get a towbar and a car upgrade at the same time! :-)

Rob (Glossop - 07753 992599)
hymerbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 14:20   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I got a similar towbar from the same company and it is really good. They're a very good company to deal with

I have to say though, I got my electrics from my local Volvo dealer for £13. The 13-pin was slightly more expensive. Simply plug into a connector in the boot. That's all you have to dofor a 2001 car, unless you want to have your parking sensors cancelled and for your fog light not to work when hooked up, then you need to take it to Volvo for some software upgrade

Extremely easy to fit a towbar to one of these cars
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 18:50   #4
hymerbeliever

Default more details re my tow bar sale

Hi
Well, what I've got you couldn't get for £13 anywhere, I'm sure. It must be the fully dedicated kind.

I have had the towbar and electrics removed from my car today, so I have had a good look. The electrics (with 13pin socket) cost £126.36 from P J Jones in Manchester (part no 29260502) - you can still find it on their website as an option when you buy the Westfalia detachable towbar.

Tow bar (£212.66); electrics (£126.36); fitting (£100+), and 13pin to 2 N/S adapter £29, brought my total bill to around £500.

I'd rather sell the bar with electrics, but I will separate. To be honest, I'm not in a position to be greedy following my mistake in fitting this bar, then selling the car, so I'll take any reasonable offer that let's me cut my losses. I'll be putting it all on ebay if I don't get any interest here.

Rob
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 23:32   #5
Mikethelaserman

If Sqibbie isn't interested, then I might well be, depending on your price.

I was looking at the Witter detachable with simple (£20) electrics (again from PF Jones) : a rather lower starting point than yours.
Mikethelaserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 00:19   #6
hymerbeliever

Default my v70 tow bar sale

Hi
Are you in Hampshire? Tow bar removed today, so it is in the back of my car: it weighs a ton! I don't know how we'd do the trade. I'm in Glossop / Manchester. I don't think there's a margin to afford a courier. I'd rather put it on ebay for collection.

It cost me £50 to have it removed today, so this is making less sense for me at every turn! Not my smartest move ever! Independent Volvo mechanic has made a neat job of this, though: all bolts boxed and other bits held in the right place on the 'bar with nylon ties.

£180 for the tow bar, with the fancy electrics still attached?

Rob
07753 992599
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 01:07   #7
Mikethelaserman

Hi Rob

Price a bit higher than I had hoped, but bonus of plug-n-go electrics.

A few questions -
1 Do you have any fitting instructions? The stuff on the PFJ website only tells you how the detachable bit is supposed to be operated, not how to fit the fixed frame. Also, where do the electrics plug in?
2 Just to be clear, what model year was the car that the towbar has been removed from? (Mine is a 2007 MY, in the 2004-2007 grouping).
3 Did the bumper have to be cut?

Yes, I'm in Hampshire, but collecting from you is not too big a problem. Mother-in-law is in Bakewell and has to be visited pretty frequently.
1/3 deposit with balance on collection sound OK?
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 09:08   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymerbeliever View Post
Well, what I've got you couldn't get for £13 anywhere, I'm sure. It must be the fully dedicated kind.
You're right. PF Jones sell a kit that is dedicated to the V70 that is complete with a load of looms, plugs and the socket all of which needs to be wired into the car. The price you have mentioned is exactly the same price as what they quoted me

However, I spoke to my local towbar supplier in Exeter, Brittania Towing when I was pricing things up. They advised me to go for the Volvo plug in loom, as they had had problems with Volvos being returned with bulb failure messages coming up on the dash.

There is a plug in the boot on all V70's, and you can just buy the loom from Volvo, complete with a connector and the socket. The cheapest, like mine (7-pin) is £13 and I was able to just plug it in and all that I need works with no software download, unless I want to get my reversing sensors deactivated and trailer fog light sorted (I don't have a fog light on mine - it turns off the fog light on the car and makes the fog light on the trailer work instead). Later cars need to have a software download done by Volvo. I was extremely surprised at the cost as I could not buy a socket, bracket and all the wires PLUS a connector for the same money! There are more expensive versions of the similar thing including twin electrics and 13-pin variations

Later, I got the same part for my sister's previous car, an '03 MY V70 to use a trailer board on her bike rack. It worked in just the same way

You don't need that expensive kit from PF Jones as well as it being MUCH more complicated than the genuine Volvo kit

Have a look at the "Towing and Caravans" section of this forum and you will see that this topic is referred to many, many times
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL

Last edited by swedishandgerman; Mar 7th, 2012 at 09:26.
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 17:25   #9
hymerbeliever

Default my towbar sale

Hi
I can't PM you because I am new to this forum. I wonder if we should trade email addresses / phone numbers. Mine are (typed badly to stop them being picked up by malicious scans - rjready (is the name) and @hotmail.co.uk is the domain. My mobile starts with 07753 and then goes on to 992599.

Question 1
The instructions are at:
http://www.westfalia-automotive.de/f...101-320053.pdf

That is a link from the pfjones website for this towbar:
http://www.pfjones.co.uk/v70-estate-...towbar-en.html - you have to scroll down below the video to find the link.

I have no idea where the electrics plug in! There must be a receiving socket somewhere in that rear underfloor. There is a rubber grommet on the wiring that seals the entry into the bodyshell, so I guess there is a hole there already.

Question 2
My V70 is MY2005, first registered on 28 Feb 05, facelift model - must be the same '04-'07 grouping, after they were tidied up a bit for their last few years of production. It hasn't got load compensating suspension. If yours has, then this might not be right.

Question 3
There is a very small cut to make on the bumper, but this is underneath and is not visible at all when the job is done. See page 52 of the instructions.

I suspect that I spent more money than I had to on what might be over-specified electrics. More fool me. I think we have a good price for a brand new, unused, top quality towbar with 13pin electrics thrown in (of any spec).

If you send me an email address, I'll send you photos of everything, so that you can judge. Don't bother paying a deposit for now: I'll keep it for you, and if I get any other interest, I'll let you know first. If you confirm that you are genuine about this, I'll keep it for you, no problem.

Let me have an email address and I'll send you some photos, and we can talk about our schedules.

Cheers!
Rob
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 18:58   #10
Mikethelaserman

Hi Rob
email sent
Mike