Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie caravanner advice please

Views : 4039

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 21:35   #1
banksy66
Master Member

Default Newbie caravanner advice please

Hi

I posted in the lounge a few weeks ago ( I didn't realise we had a caravan section at the time lol) looking for some advice as we're probably going to get a cheapie little starter van later this year or (more likely) next year

However, I've started doing a little homework now on ebay and wondered if you good folk could answer a couple of queries for me please?

1 - Is end kitchen or centre kitchen better?

2 - Most of the 4 berths in my price range (c £1000 ish) have toilet but no shower. Is it worthwhile trying to get one with a shower? We have 2 young boys aged under 5 so we'll probably be staying on larger sites with shower blocks rather than on a basic site but what would you recommend?

3 - Are there any caravan manufacturers to be avoided are they all pretty much the same?

4 - If we get a van with cold water only, can a water heater be fitted at reasonable cost or is not possible/not cost effective?

5 - I presume the lighter a van is, the better it is to tow or is it the other way round?

thanks in advance

John

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".
banksy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 19:42   #2
xc70jason
Premier Member

Hi John,

Firstly,middle or end kitcken it's your choice.One isn't better than the other,it's personal preferance,

Secondly,shower,do you want one is the question too ask yourself?.Yes,they are handy but if your going to be going to site's with shower facilities then maybe you dont really need one!.

Thirdly,manufacturer,to me it doesn't matter as i look for the outlay of the caravan but,i'm sure someone else will have a different opinion of which we are all entitled too!.

Forthly,lol,I'm not sure i'm sorry.I could find out if you want me too as my friend is in the caravan business.

Fithly,lol,now i'm chucklying,lol,Weigth,as long as the caravan weight is no more than the 85% rule your fine.

A big thing to watch for is damp.The last thing you want is a caravan riddled with damp so be careful.If you can get your hand's on a damp meter then all the better.

Good luck with your search,

Jason

Good luck in your
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 21:21   #3
banksy66
Master Member

Jason

65 people viewed this thread before you replied, I was starting to think the questions must be too hard lol

Many, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. Your replies are very useful

Thanks again

John

When people ask “What the hell were you thinking?” I reply "Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain myself".
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 21:38   #4
xc70jason
Premier Member

No problem John,out of the 65 views maybe 5 of them was me looking and thinking of what i could put to try and help.

I think i replied (along with other's)to your other post that was on another section.

Just another quick one,if your willing too travel for a caravan it could pay off.

Jason
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 22:11   #5
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by banksy66 View Post
Hi

I posted in the lounge a few weeks ago ( I didn't realise we had a caravan section at the time lol) looking for some advice as we're probably going to get a cheapie little starter van later this year or (more likely) next year

However, I've started doing a little homework now on ebay and wondered if you good folk could answer a couple of queries for me please?

1 - Is end kitchen or centre kitchen better?
I prefer middle kitchens for usability.End kitchen caravans tend to be heavier at the back and it can affect towing stability

2 - Most of the 4 berths in my price range (c £1000 ish) have toilet but no shower. Is it worthwhile trying to get one with a shower? We have 2 young boys aged under 5 so we'll probably be staying on larger sites with shower blocks rather than on a basic site but what would you recommend?
I have only ever had 1 shower in a tourer.Unless you are hooked up to the tap your aquaroll runs out of water,leaving you covered in soap (as it did with me).Furthermore the shower in a caravan is far too close to the bog!!

3 - Are there any caravan manufacturers to be avoided are they all pretty much the same?
I found they were more or less the same. ie badly built..!! ..that is the British caravans.Foreign caravans are somewhat better, although can be difficult to insure

4 - If we get a van with cold water only, can a water heater be fitted at reasonable cost or is not possible/not cost effective?
This website may help
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/communi...ly-cold-water/

5 - I presume the lighter a van is, the better it is to tow or is it the other way round?
The van should be a good match weight wise for the car. Check your cars tow weights.Depends what tow car you are using.Lighter vans are easier to move around by hand when siting or storing.

thanks in advance

John
Thoughts in blue.

Whats got you thinking about a caravan?

oh and this website is great for info and sites etc...

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

EDIT:
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/2...%20caravan.pdf

Last edited by volvorocks; Apr 19th, 2012 at 22:18.
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 22:27   #6
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

Quote:
Jason

65 people viewed this thread before you replied, I was starting to think the questions must be too hard lol

Many, many thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. Your replies are very useful

Thanks again

John
again what Jason said it is putting it down so that you can make head n tale of it also if you no anyone that has a caravan ask them to come along with you to view and what to look out for if there are any this way and you need a second pair of eyes by all means give me a shout .
mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to outnumbered For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 22:58   #7
banksy66
Master Member

Thanks fellas

To answer volvorocks, I have 2 young boys and want them to experience as much of this country as possible before they discover beer, women and foreign holidays where you can rely on the weather lol

Primarily, as with many people, the last 3 years or so have been pretty tough for us financially following the collapse of my business. Caravanning seems like a great way to get away for minimal cost and offers a little more flexibility if we don't like somewhere - hitch up and move on lol

Thanks again for the replies

Old Apr 19th, 2012, 23:10   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Thanks fellas

To answer volvorocks, I have 2 young boys and want them to experience as much of this country as possible before they discover beer, women and foreign holidays where you can rely on the weather lol

Primarily, as with many people, the last 3 years or so have been pretty tough for us financially following the collapse of my business. Caravanning seems like a great way to get away for minimal cost and offers a little more flexibility if we don't like somewhere - hitch up and move on lol

Thanks again for the replies
Caravanning is great for the kids. Choose your sites carefully and you will have a great time.Even if you end up on a sh1te site (which I have done many times) its still fun - (dont ask me why..it just is..lol).The kids will enjoy the freedom and the safety to roam about and gain independence (age permitting of course assuming they are not say 2 or 3 years old..lol)

There is a massive choice of sites from 'all singing all dancing sites',to quiet retreats full of nature and simple things like just sitting out with a beer enjoying the peace.Depends what you like really.

You will learn as you go along,picking up tips and hints as you go. The best bit is arriving on site and reversing onto your pitch with an 'audience'..lol

Awnings are good to have as you get an increase in space, although for short journeys away not worth the hassle.

I found other caravanners helpful and friendly and a nice social event

I packed up towing a few years ago and sold the van, although am looking again to start with a small van along the lines of Eriba or similar.

Sorry to hear about your business,what were you in?Do you still do a similar thing

Regards
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 10:46   #9
banksy66
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Caravanning is great for the kids. Choose your sites carefully and you will have a great time.Even if you end up on a sh1te site (which I have done many times) its still fun - (dont ask me why..it just is..lol).The kids will enjoy the freedom and the safety to roam about and gain independence (age permitting of course assuming they are not say 2 or 3 years old..lol)

There is a massive choice of sites from 'all singing all dancing sites',to quiet retreats full of nature and simple things like just sitting out with a beer enjoying the peace.Depends what you like really.

You will learn as you go along,picking up tips and hints as you go. The best bit is arriving on site and reversing onto your pitch with an 'audience'..lol

Awnings are good to have as you get an increase in space, although for short journeys away not worth the hassle.

I found other caravanners helpful and friendly and a nice social event

I packed up towing a few years ago and sold the van, although am looking again to start with a small van along the lines of Eriba or similar.

Sorry to hear about your business,what were you in?Do you still do a similar thing

Regards
Because we live on the East coast we also have the option of going away for weekends to some of the local sites - the wife and boys get away for a few days and I can still commute as I usually work at weekends. The boys are 2.5 and 4 so still young but my eldest is showing a real interest in the outdoors and nature. His younger brother just likes to eat, poo and break stuff lol

I ran my own car sales business for a few years. It had always been my dream from being a small lad and I was absolutely devastated when I had to call it a day. I'm not the man I was, that is for sure. I made damn sure no customers got caught up in it though so you won't get to see me on Cowboy Traders or Watchdog . I'm still in the motor trade but it's not the same working for other people

What actually sparked the discussion with my wife re caravanning was a day out last year to Dalby Forest (near Pickering). The boys had a blast and because I know the area like the back of my hand I was telling the wife about all the stuff within an hours drive of there - Scarborough, Flamingo Land, Dalby Forest, Whitby, N Yorks Moors and steam railway, York Railway Museum etc etc. She actually said "A caravan would be a bit handy" and that's where the seed was sown.........

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:47   #10
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Because we live on the East coast we also have the option of going away for weekends to some of the local sites - the wife and boys get away for a few days and I can still commute as I usually work at weekends. The boys are 2.5 and 4 so still young but my eldest is showing a real interest in the outdoors and nature. His younger brother just likes to eat, poo and break stuff lol

I ran my own car sales business for a few years. It had always been my dream from being a small lad and I was absolutely devastated when I had to call it a day. I'm not the man I was, that is for sure. I made damn sure no customers got caught up in it though so you won't get to see me on Cowboy Traders or Watchdog . I'm still in the motor trade but it's not the same working for other people

What actually sparked the discussion with my wife re caravanning was a day out last year to Dalby Forest (near Pickering). The boys had a blast and because I know the area like the back of my hand I was telling the wife about all the stuff within an hours drive of there - Scarborough, Flamingo Land, Dalby Forest, Whitby, N Yorks Moors and steam railway, York Railway Museum etc etc. She actually said "A caravan would be a bit handy" and that's where the seed was sown.........
Could tell you 2 stories about Flamingo land, one funny and one not funny!

There is a nice site near Robin Hoods Bay IIRC at the top of the hill,cant remember the name, it overlooks the sea. I can let you know some decent sites.

Did you have your own garage? Yes its not the same working for someone if you have been your own boss.

Years ago used to buy the odd car for the missus, like Granada, Carltons, Jags,Rovers, around the 4/5/6 year old mark and run around in it till it sold. Equivalent to swapping your car 3 or 4 times a year. The games changed now and small cars are the thing. Why not do this?

Regards