Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towing audible alerts

Views : 3823

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 12:25   #11
DC850
VOC Member

The requirement for the Visual or audible tone is to give an indiction that the plug has not fallen out or broked off completely. If no different between solo and attached how you/car know you have a trailer electrics attached? and therefore any lights working.

http://www.rightconnections.co.uk/rear-mounted-buzzer
DC850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2014, 15:13   #12
egor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC850 View Post
The requirement for the Visual or audible tone is to give an indiction that the plug has not fallen out or broked off completely. If no different between solo and attached how you/car know you have a trailer electrics attached? and therefore any lights working.

http://www.rightconnections.co.uk/rear-mounted-buzzer
I had the electrics upgraded from 7 to 13 pin on my xc70 p3 by the main dealer last year, I questioned the lack of visual warning of trailer lights working correctly. The dealer were very good and questioned it with Volvo HQ as they were not exactly sure of the full answer. The EU directive (which they gave me a copy) basically says that the driver must know if the lights are working or not, which we all know. So Volvo have decided that instead of telling us that the lights work, the cars now tell us that the lights don't work. So any faults with the trailer lights are reported to the driver in the same way that the normal car lights are. It may be the opposite of what we are used to but it is the way Volvo have decided to go.
egor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 13:15   #13
DC850
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
I had the electrics upgraded from 7 to 13 pin on my xc70 p3 by the main dealer last year, I questioned the lack of visual warning of trailer lights working correctly. The dealer were very good and questioned it with Volvo HQ as they were not exactly sure of the full answer. The EU directive (which they gave me a copy) basically says that the driver must know if the lights are working or not, which we all know. So Volvo have decided that instead of telling us that the lights work, the cars now tell us that the lights don't work. So any faults with the trailer lights are reported to the driver in the same way that the normal car lights are. It may be the opposite of what we are used to but it is the way Volvo have decided to go.
How does the car know if you have hitched up and forgot to plug in, I am every interested in knowing how this fault condition is detected to give a bulb warning. This is achieved by a positive feedback (they are working) and please note there is currently no full EU mandate for this only UK and a couple of others.

Please look at this Link

http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/traile...d-requirements

Yes the new systems can tell you if there is a bulb failure on any bulb, but you have to be connected first or the plug to fall out for the bulb warning not to work, hence not lights at all and none the wiser.
Old Apr 24th, 2014, 16:15   #14
egor

Quote:

Yes the new systems can tell you if there is a bulb failure on any bulb, but you have to be connected first or the plug to fall out for the bulb warning not to work, hence not lights at all and none the wiser.
I am not saying that I agree! I am just passing on how it is done by Volvo now. Don't shoot the messenger :-)

I personally preferred it before the software update was done on my car, as the green trailer light illuminated along with the indicators. But alas no more.

I have to say that my SOP for connecting a trailer is to check the lights, even by yourself you can check side, brake, and indicators. So you should not drive away without plugging in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egor For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 10:47   #15
Bernard333
Premier Member

I recently fitted a Witter towbar to my 2003 V70 and my wiring effort is definitely in the Micky Mouse category, it has a small black plastic module in the harness about the size of a usb memory stick which reading this thread I now realise is the indicator beeper. It would be very easy to remove it or bypass it without affecting the operation but if its a legal requirement I will leave it in. I was also concerned about how would I know the lights were working on my hired trailer but then when going through the mersey tunnel I noticed it had also had forward facing white led lights, how come tin tents dont normally have these as I found them reassuring even though they would not necessarily tell me that all the lights were correctly working ?
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 11:25   #16
egor

My tin tent has LED illuminating grab handles both front and rear, have to agree they are reassuring not to mention they look really cool! as well as being a good passive safety item of course ;-)
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 13:05   #17
DC850
VOC Member

Quote:
I am not saying that I agree! I am just passing on how it is done by Volvo now. Don't shoot the messenger :-)

I personally preferred it before the software update was done on my car, as the green trailer light illuminated along with the indicators. But alas no more.

I have to say that my SOP for connecting a trailer is to check the lights, even by yourself you can check side, brake, and indicators. So you should not drive away without plugging in.
Hi egor,
I apologise if you felt I was gunning for you. If I where you I would double check the software upgrade, as this is not a requirement in most EU countries and your upgrade may be unsuitable for the UK. (have a good read of the EU Directive)
Regards
Dave...
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 14:16   #18
egor

Quote:
Hi egor,
I apologise if you felt I was gunning for you. If I where you I would double check the software upgrade, as this is not a requirement in most EU countries and your upgrade may be unsuitable for the UK. (have a good read of the EU Directive)
Regards
Dave...
No worries Dave, no offense taken as none was implied :-)

There is a bit of confusion to some in the UK as we have gone from a positive visual or audible indication that our indicators are working correctly to a passive system that only tells you if there is a problem. I know that at a minimum Volvo, Ford and VAG (Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT and Skoda) have gone over to this passive way of letting the driver know that there is a problem with the lights.(if you look on other manufacturers and general caravan forums it's spoken about quite a bit) I did have a hard copy of the directive buy I have put it somewhere safe!! so I cant put my hands on it at the moment but paraphrasing from memory. The driver needs to be told audibly or visually that everything is OK, but it did not say how. Therefor either system will work as they both let you know if there is a problem.

I needed the software update as I had a new TCM fitted as part of the wiring upgrade and it would not work without the software.

As I previously said I am not saying I think its the best idea, but it is legal.

Cheers

Gregor
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 19:16   #19
Father Ted
Master Member

Quote:
My tin tent has LED illuminating grab handles both front and rear, have to agree they are reassuring not to mention they look really cool! as well as being a good passive safety item of course ;-)
I do like those illumiated grab handles!
My tin tent has white lights on the front, so did my previous....I thought they all had them.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 21:06   #20
egor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
I do like those illumiated grab handles!
My tin tent has white lights on the front, so did my previous....I thought they all had them.
I think you are right Father Ted, I think caravans need to have the white lights on the front, but don't quote me on that.