Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ownership Thread - 2012 XC90 Executive

Views : 26838

Replies : 207

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 15:43   #61
XJSDriver
XJS Driver

Re the kids voting for the Volvo - I soon discovered this when we bought the Galaxy all those years ago how nice it was in the back compared to standard saloon car - the seating is quite high so your are higher than the average car, and the rear doors are large with big windows, so fantastic as a passenger, even better in the Volvo now, I am very happy to be in the rear when asked, as is very pleasant place to be.
You should also find with 3 individual seats, is easier to stop the bickering that often occurs when kids fight for space! In the Mk2 galaxy I own, the 3 seats have space between them so even easier for boundary management but no longer needed, thank heavens!

Last edited by XJSDriver; Apr 1st, 2019 at 15:49.
XJSDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XJSDriver For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 09:01   #62
slabologist

Default DVD update discs

Hello, great post by the way. I've been a member of this forum for years since I had a 1999 V70 but have not looked at it for quite a while. I've had a 2011 XC90 Exec for over 18 months and like you tried to get it up together in the first weeks of ownership. It had 37000 miles on it then and now has 63000.

I think I must have been running the original (2010?) maps as the dvd drive did not have a disc inserted. I looked at buying the latest update from Volvo but thought I would take a punt on those eBay DVD and brought some for £13 this week. Two discs arrived and installed in about three hours first time! Been running them for a couple of days with no problem and I was quite surprised they worked. The map number is shown on the screen as AEU_06_201701A. The eBay number was 163562861875, described as VOLVO RTI MMM+ HDD 2018 SAT NAV NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE DISC C30 C70 S40 V50 XC90. The eBay seller is called audi-maps. I would gladly send you my discs but disc 1 of the update discs needs to be kept in the drive now.

Regarding the little washer thing. Drivers door one was missing too. Got one for £10 from Volvo dealer! I winced at the price for a bit of plastic but given that the lack of it would have niggled me every time I drove the car, I supposed over time its money well spent. Have glued it in place as it looks like the replacement could go missing too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0617.JPG (24.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg XC90 rear.JPG (145.8 KB, 31 views)
slabologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slabologist For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 09:07   #63
Odysseus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabologist View Post
Hello, great post by the way. I've been a member of this forum for years since I had a 1999 V70 but have not looked at it for quite a while. I've had a 2011 XC90 Exec for over 18 months and like you tried to get it up together in the first weeks of ownership. It had 37000 miles on it then and now has 63000.

I think I must have been running the original (2010?) maps as the dvd drive did not have a disc inserted. I looked at buying the latest update from Volvo but thought I would take a punt on those eBay DVD and brought some for £13 this week. Two discs arrived and installed in about three hours first time! Been running them for a couple of days with no problem and I was quite surprised they worked. The map number is shown on the screen as AEU_06_201701A. The eBay number was 163562861875, described as VOLVO RTI MMM+ HDD 2018 SAT NAV NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE DISC C30 C70 S40 V50 XC90. The eBay seller is called audi-maps. I would gladly send you my discs but disc 1 of the update discs needs to be kept in the drive now.

Regarding the little washer thing. Drivers door one was missing too. Got one for £10 from Volvo dealer! I winced at the price for a bit of plastic but given that the lack of it would have niggled me every time I drove the car, I supposed over time its money well spent. Have glued it in place as it looks like the replacement could go missing too.
Hi there and thanks for the positive comments. The eBay seller you used is the same one I used, so maybe I was just unlucky.

Like I said in an earlier post I'm likely to need to buy a spare key from Volvo (just waiting for the V5 to come back following the plate change) so will price up a completely legit map update from the stealer. I can definitely see me stumping up the £9 for the plastic door washer at the same time, it definitely niggles!

Thanks for posting pictures, your car looks great. Mine has done a monster mileage (now on 185,000) compared to yours but aside from some wear on the driver's seat piping it's in excellent condition - they really do seem to build these things with longevity in mind. I just hope the same proves true for the mechanical components!

Last edited by Odysseus; Apr 5th, 2019 at 09:08. Reason: typo
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2019, 12:31   #64
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabologist View Post
The map number is shown on the screen as AEU_06_201701A. The eBay number was 163562861875, described as VOLVO RTI MMM+ HDD 2018 SAT NAV NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE DISC C30 C70 S40 V50 XC90.
That's the same version I have
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 08:40   #65
Odysseus

So, a month into ownership and the first problem has appeared.

Wife driving XC90 to work phones me to say she’s coming home to swap cars as the Volvo “has a problem”. Sure enough, it seems like boost is reduced and there’s a definite hissing during acceleration which gets worse the more you rev. No errors on the dash and no fault codes my cheapy code read reader found however, just reduced performance and hissing on acceleration.

My gut feel (and five minutes spent googling) suggests this is a split hose or worse a failing intercooler, so I’ve booked it in with Kings of Witcham tomorrow.

Wish me luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 09:39   #66
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Probably the intercooler.

They are not ridiculously expensive off Ebay but let's see how much a main dealer charges to supply and fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...p2045573.m1684

It's definitely a DIY job, just a little time consuming.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...rcooler+change

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 8th, 2019 at 09:45.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:07   #67
Odysseus

Thanks for the message and the link is really useful. While I’m sure that’s at the upper edge of my talents anyway I’m not even completely sure the intercooler is the issue. At least the professionals will (he says hopefully) be able to diagnose the problem properly.

One last thing is that Kings of Witcham is an indy, not a main dealer.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:22   #68
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Thanks for the message and the link is really useful. While I’m sure that’s at the upper edge of my talents anyway I’m not even completely sure the intercooler is the issue. At least the professionals will (he says hopefully) be able to diagnose the problem properly.

One last thing is that Kings of Witcham is an indy, not a main dealer.

Right I wasn't aware of that so hopefully a better price no matter what the issue turns out to be.

One other very likely candidate is the orange seals which are on each end of the Resonator box that bolts to the turbo.

These are notorious for popping off/leaking and will give the symptoms described.

Not too bad a job to renew them but many on here including myself have replaced the entire resonator with a dedicated silicone hose ( about £33 ) and that is a far more reliable remedy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TURBO-RES...MAAOSwY~1aO8uC

Good Luck anyway.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Apr 8th, 2019 at 12:31.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2019, 12:34   #69
Odysseus

A very spluttery 40 minute drive to Kings with a variety of warnings now appearing like “soot filter full”, “reduced gearbox performance”, and “engine maintenance required” meant I was glad when we finally pulled into the car park.

The problem is apparently the turbo pipe as there’s a crack in it. The charge air pipe assembly is a £210 part so the final bill for restoring my XC90 to normal will be £417.00, and I should be able to collect the car on Friday.

A bit of an ouch but it could be worse.

I also have a perfectly acceptable S60 loan car from them until Friday so I’m mobile with the kids on their easter hols, leaving the Mrs happily scorching the tarmac to her work in my Lexus.
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 15:42   #70
Odysseus

I said in my earlier post “it could be worse”. Turns out it is.

Now they tell me the DPF is full and won’t self regenerate so it needs a DPF pressure sensor. This means a) I’m not getting the car back today and b) my eventual bill is now in the high £600s.

The only time I’ve seen any kind of DPF related messages was after driving the car about 20 miles with the aforementioned boost pipe problem (soot filter full). Before that it all seemed fine and while the car has done a high mileage this is surely better from a DPF perspective?

Any thoughts on this? Am I just having a bit of bad luck?