Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B230FD Problems :)

Views : 7720

Replies : 156

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2020, 18:44   #1
Volvo940GL

Question B230FD Problems :)

Hey guys. Lately I’ve struggled with a car that won’t start but cranks. It was the distributor that somehow changed position 180degrees. Now it starts but it runs too lean. Lambda 1.3.
5,7 o2
600hc
500ppm

Fault codes
2-3-2
1-1-3
2-4-1

It runs too rough on idle and I lose engine power while test driving. My trip teller shows between 700 to 4500rpm on idle. Plugs are black and full of soot. Timing marks are correct. Distributor has too much play and my rotor is very loose. So I think it’s my distributor that causes this problem. It spits back in the intake sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2DD62540-F49F-4C4A-BCEF-2D9410CC2421.jpg (269.9 KB, 29 views)
Volvo940GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 19:08   #2
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

I don't know where to start.

Check fuel pressure
May be a faulty regulator
May be a clocked filter
May be pump 1 is dead
May be pump 2 is dead
Check fuel pressure regulator
Swap this leads, they don't match a volvo b230
Only Bourgicord, nothing else
The cap won't be a Bosch
The rotor won't be a Bosch
The EGR is a sh.. system. You will find solutions in the Web

The rotor can't turn 180°. Tell me how, only a fault by human is possible
The MAF is a exchange part, and the quality isn't very stable.
Which plugs are you running in this car?
Check for vacuum los: pipes, inlet manif old gaskets, throttle, throttle housing. Measure the TPS.
Measure the O2 sensor while running.

And so on.
If I have a closer look at this pic: this car hasn't got a proper maintenance for round about 100 years.
Good luck, you will need a lot, Kay

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Jan 29th, 2020 at 19:10.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 19:13   #3
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo940GL View Post
Hey guys. Lately I’ve struggled with a car that won’t start but cranks. It was the distributor that somehow changed position 180degrees. Now it starts but it runs too lean. Lambda 1.3.
5,7 o2
600hc
500ppm

Fault codes
2-3-2
1-1-3
2-4-1

It runs too rough on idle and I lose engine power while test driving. My trip teller shows between 700 to 4500rpm on idle. Plugs are black and full of soot. Timing marks are correct. Distributor has too much play and my rotor is very loose. So I think it’s my distributor that causes this problem. It spits back in the intake sometimes.
How did your distributor end up changing position by 180 degrees? As in the cap or the distributor itself? That's so bizarre. Did it come unbolted from the back of the head?

If your plugs are black and sooty the engine is running too rich. When you say your distributor has play, do you mean the shaft itself?

In my experience, problems of this nature with these cars come from the downline end of the ignition system (amplifier, distributor, HT leads, plugs) or metering (MAF, coolant temp sensor, knock sensor, lambda sensor). It sounds like your distributor is very worn and needs to be replaced. I would seek out a genuine Volvo replacement, likewise with distributor cap and rotor. Make sure you change the two O-rings (around the base and the tip of the shaft) too.

In my experience, these cars will not run perfectly without the proper OEM Bosch rotor and cap, and the OEM Bougicord HT leads. I've tried allsorts of other parts but none are even close in performance to the genuine kit in terms of smooth running and all-round driveability.

I'm confused regarding your statement about the idle-did I read it right that it's hunting between 700 and 4500rpm?
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 19:51   #4
Volvo940GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
I don't know where to start.

Check fuel pressure
May be a faulty regulator
May be a clocked filter
May be pump 1 is dead
May be pump 2 is dead
Check fuel pressure regulator
Swap this leads, they don't match a volvo b230
Only Bourgicord, nothing else
The cap won't be a Bosch
The rotor won't be a Bosch
The EGR is a sh.. system. You will find solutions in the Web

The rotor can't turn 180°. Tell me how, only a fault by human is possible
The MAF is a exchange part, and the quality isn't very stable.
Which plugs are you running in this car?
Check for vacuum los: pipes, inlet manif old gaskets, throttle, throttle housing. Measure the TPS.
Measure the O2 sensor while running.

And so on.
If I have a closer look at this pic: this car hasn't got a proper maintenance for round about 100 years.
Good luck, you will need a lot, Kay

That’s what I’m saying! It’ changed rotation 180degrees without anyone touching the distributor. It simply turned 180 degrees while I drove. I have checked for vacuum leak. The o2 is new. I use Bosch plugs and distributor. Pump and filter is new.
Fuel pressure regulator works.

Yeah about the pic. Yes I know it’s dirty. But I do take care of my car. But have not cleaned the engine.
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 19:57   #5
Volvo940GL

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
How did your distributor end up changing position by 180 degrees? As in the cap or the distributor itself? That's so bizarre. Did it come unbolted from the back of the head?

If your plugs are black and sooty the engine is running too rich. When you say your distributor has play, do you mean the shaft itself?

In my experience, problems of this nature with these cars come from the downline end of the ignition system (amplifier, distributor, HT leads, plugs) or metering (MAF, coolant temp sensor, knock sensor, lambda sensor). It sounds like your distributor is very worn and needs to be replaced. I would seek out a genuine Volvo replacement, likewise with distributor cap and rotor. Make sure you change the two O-rings (around the base and the tip of the shaft) too.

In my experience, these cars will not run perfectly without the proper OEM Bosch rotor and cap, and the OEM Bougicord HT leads. I've tried allsorts of other parts but none are even close in performance to the genuine kit in terms of smooth running and all-round driveability.

I'm confused regarding your statement about the idle-did I read it right that it's hunting between 700 and 4500rpm?
Yeah I also think it’s my distributor. That shaft that hits the cam. I have changed distributors three times and rotors but I’ll try changing the whole thing.
MAF works.
Temp sensor works
Lambda is new
Leads are good
Yes, it shows 700 - 4500rpm
No, it didn’t unbolt itself. There’s something strange about this

Last edited by Volvo940GL; Jan 29th, 2020 at 19:58. Reason: Information
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 20:22   #6
Volvo940GL

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post

He rotor itself. The little turning device that sends power to the distributor. That has play. And the whole shaft itself aswell. 1 cm play. I can show pictures tomorrow
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvo940GL For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2020, 23:49   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have you done what was outlined in this post?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...3&postcount=72

"The cat wil be full of unburned fuel, this will cause the emissions to be all over the place until you give it a long hot run to burn off the excess fuel in the cat.

After that long, fast run to do that, when you return and switch off, pull fuse #1 for at least 10 minutes, then refit it. This will clear the fuel trims and fault codes learned by the LH-Jetronic ECU whil it's been flooded with excess fuel.

I'd say there's no need to change the fuel filter again, plugs will self-clean with a long, fast run.
__________________"

Have you done this? If so and you're still getting bad results, you need to first check the tension on the timing belt. We established the cause of your breakdown was the igntion amplifier module and the plug leads were swapped when you changed them. in your other thread.

For those that haven't seen it :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302851

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 05:43   #8
Volvo940GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post

"The cat wil be full of unburned fuel, this will cause the emissions to be all over the place until you give it a long hot run to burn off the excess fuel in the cat.

After that long, fast run to do that, when you return and switch off, pull fuse #1 for at least 10 minutes, then refit it. This will clear the fuel trims and fault codes learned by the LH-Jetronic ECU whil it's been flooded with excess fuel.

I'd say there's no need to change the fuel filter again, plugs will self-clean with a long, fast run.
__________________"

Have you done this? If so and you're still getting bad results, you need to first check the tension on the timing belt. We established the cause of your breakdown was the igntion amplifier module and the plug leads were swapped when you changed them. in your other thread.

I can try, but we found out it were the distributor that turned 180degrees. Timing belt is there nothing wrong with, the tensioner is new aswell
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 05:47   #9
Volvo940GL

Quote:

__________________"

And still say. Thanks for supporting me
Old Jan 30th, 2020, 05:59   #10
Volvo940GL

Quote:

__________________"

I tried contact cleaner on every socket.
Could lambda be full of soot and send Incorrect information to ecu?

Last edited by Volvo940GL; Jan 30th, 2020 at 05:59. Reason: Typo

Tags
b230fd, faultcodes, help and advice, lean and rich, rough idle