Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Two really annoying oversights/omissions on the S90

Views : 2561

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2018, 15:16   #1
Stunts

Default Two really annoying oversights/omissions on the S90

So I've had my S90 for a few months now. I love it now as much as I did when I first received it. However, in driving the car there are two things that annoy me a bit. Both safety related. The first is the fact that you never know when your headlights are on. Yes there's a stupid sidelight indicator on the dash (I think every Volvo I've ever owned had this - pretty much pointless as the sidelights are always on!). There is no indicator for dipped beam, so if it's raining a little during the day, I don't know if the lights are on. Often I have to switch them on manually, completely negating the auto headlight function. Annoying!

The other thing is with Autopilot assist. The system will nag you to input steering with an orange warning on the dash, followed up with a bong noise. However, when the system loses control and passes it to you, the only thing that happens is the green steering wheel turns grey. Not very attention grabbing.... Surely an orange flash of the steering wheel icon and a bong would be sensible?

Just myth tuppence worth. Anything annoying anyone else??
Stunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 15:37   #2
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunts View Post
So I've had my S90 for a few months now. I love it now as much as I did when I first received it. However, in driving the car there are two things that annoy me a bit. Both safety related. The first is the fact that you never know when your headlights are on. Yes there's a stupid sidelight indicator on the dash (I think every Volvo I've ever owned had this - pretty much pointless as the sidelights are always on!). There is no indicator for dipped beam, so if it's raining a little during the day, I don't know if the lights are on. Often I have to switch them on manually, completely negating the auto headlight function. Annoying!

The other thing is with Autopilot assist. The system will nag you to input steering with an orange warning on the dash, followed up with a bong noise. However, when the system loses control and passes it to you, the only thing that happens is the green steering wheel turns grey. Not very attention grabbing.... Surely an orange flash of the steering wheel icon and a bong would be sensible?

I agree that the pilot assist should have a warning alarm when it fails to pick up the white lines and drops out maybe three fast bongs.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 22:07   #3
Boatie
Master Member

Were I to remember them I've come across any number where I've felt warnings etc could be more sensible (to me anyway) Two off the top of my head are 1) Low fuel, 3 separate warnings? and why does the written warning give a distance (based on historical data) when fuel quantity would be more informative and 2) why do you not get positive warning when a DPF re-generation is in progress.

Frank
2017 MY V90.

If anyone says I don't need to know I'll say something very rude
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 05:21   #4
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunts View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
I agree that the pilot assist should have a warning alarm when it fails to pick up the white lines and drops out maybe three fast bongs.
I agree 100% but one bong will do thanks.
I often wonder whether the headlights are on with auto lights. My Qashqai certainly does have a dipped beam light in the dash but not sure about the Honda, because I just don’t use the feature very often at all with it. Can’t say i’ve noticed, so probably not.

There is no reason why I should know when the car is regenerating the DPF. What is important is that it does so reliably for at least 150,000 miles before any manual maintenance is required. I have four vehicles with DPF and none of them tell me when they regenerate. They are a Ford, Nissan, Honda and Volvo. The only vehicle I know of that does, apart from heavy goods and tractors is the Isuzu pickup and it tends to make the drivers paranoid.

Distance to refuelling is far more useful than quantity of fuel left in the tank or the fraction of total capacity, in my opinion.

Last edited by Quacker; Feb 14th, 2018 at 05:29.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quacker For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 10:31   #5
S90
IT Guru

The output of the LED running lights when on Auto is enough to pass UK regulations and is extremely bright, plus the rears are always on.

I just put the lights in Auto and never bother with them, if the light drops then the main lights come on, at this point the output from the DRL drops.

I'm not really sure why thats a niggle
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 11:41   #6
Milliner

I also tend not to worry about the auto lights - I've had them for years now and never really give them a thought, they just come on when needed.

I do agree about the auto-pilot disengaging though - something a bit more audible or tactile (buzzing the steering wheel perhaps) would help.

My other gripe is the voice control system, which I find hit and miss at best. Phone works OK, but I can't get it to find DAB stations (BBC 5 Live especially) and normally suggests random FM frequencies. No Spotify voice integration at all either. Surely these are what the system should be centred around as these are often changed whilst driving.

Nav voice settings and heating controls work fine, but I can't ever remember needing to change these once I've set off!
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 22:22   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Pilot assist is for times when your driving skills lapse or you fall asleep at the wheel , You should be driving 100% off the time using your own skills and concentration not relying on something which assists you when you are no longer in control .
The lane assist is no good for driving itself it continually wanders from the left side to the right side of the centre of the lane , whilst staying in lane .
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 23:25   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Pilot assist is for times when your driving skills lapse or you fall asleep at the wheel .
Lol, thank you for that, I will remember to turn it on next time I want to take a nap while driving.
Here's me thinking it was a self driving aid to make driving less stressful on those long motorway journeys, as long as you keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

Seriously though, the reason I would like a warning bong when PA2 drops out is because I am keeping my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road while PA2 is in use and you dont always notice immediately that the green indicator has grayed out when PA2 drops out, and the first indication you get is when the car starts to drift on a bend and you have to apply steering manually but there may be a moments delay as your brain is computing whether the steering is going to react and glancing down to see the grayed out indicator, by which time you are reacting instinctivly but PA2 might have dropped out several vital seconds before the bend and if there was a warning you would immediately take control.
I hope all that makes sense.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Feb 15th, 2018 at 00:02.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 09:26   #9
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Seriously though, the reason I would like a warning bong when PA2 drops out is because I am keeping my hands on the wheel and eyes on the road while PA2 is in use and you dont always notice immediately that the green indicator has grayed out when PA2 drops out, and the first indication you get is when the car starts to drift on a bend and you have to apply steering manually but there may be a moments delay as your brain is computing whether the steering is going to react and glancing down to see the grayed out indicator, by which time you are reacting instinctivly but PA2 might have dropped out several vital seconds before the bend and if there was a warning you would immediately take control.
Exactly this.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 17:49   #10
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Pilot assist is for times when your driving skills lapse or you fall asleep at the wheel , You should be driving 100% off the time using your own skills and concentration not relying on something which assists you when you are no longer in control .
The lane assist is no good for driving itself it continually wanders from the left side to the right side of the centre of the lane , whilst staying in lane .
Unless this was written tongue in cheek you are seriously wrong on both points and I suggest you refrain from using either.
Pilot Assist is for driving on Motorways and A roads with clear lane markings. You still need your full concentration but it assists you in so doing, keeps you away from the car in front, keeps you in lane and pre tensions the brakes before you can if an accident seems imminent.
Lane keeping means you do the steering, not the car. Should your attention wander for any reason and you cross the white line it will alert you. Nothing more. Please take the time to read the manual regarding all the safety Features for your own safety and that of other road users. Thank you.