Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

From Uruguay with my V40

Views : 2981

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2017, 23:01   #11
trufauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Great looking car. Well done on the work done so far. Look forward to further updates and pictures.
thanks Petey80, I love working on my cars, and I do a lot of photograpy and the writing part of these posts is almost as fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Nice looking car and well done on the little things - it what makes a car YOUR car. Good tip with the degreaser, wish i knew last week, i scrubbed a bit to hard.
At last somebody as nerdy as me with the fuel filler
Thanks druid! the car is coming along nicely, and as you said, all this things are what make your car yours. I bought the degreaser to clean the engine bay, but given that the stuff on the buttons was human grease, but grease after all, I decided to give it a try and it worked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
I have two V40s and on both the steering wheel was unpleasant. They seem to be very soft and easily worn and damaged. One now has a nice leather cover (the other is off the road.) Good luck with your new car - you seem to have started well.
Indeed, the leather is very soft, after the clean up the leather is like thiner on the top, I need to try again with more moisturizer cream, and leather polish.

Well, after I finished with the interior... well I didn't finished with the interior actually, I went to the trunk and try to find out why there wasn't any light there, the bulbs where working, and after a while I find out that aparently in it previous life somebody disconected the door switch from the rear gate, and that was why where wasn't any light, a quick reconect of the wires and... I found out that the original alarm still works and...

after that it was time for the engine bay, I used a lot of degreaser and various brushes to remove years and years of grime, after that I gave it a proper rinse with some water, and then... the engine that had been working fawlesly, started to act funny, I immediately pointed to the spark plugs and the previous rinse, I removed the coil packs to find this

The coil pack was damaged and somebody had already tried some epoxy putty over the crack, and some water made it trough the coilpack (also the oil cap is leaking)

If you see carefully the 3rd sparkplug is rusted, and there was water on that sparkplug tube, the tube that housed the broken coilpack. Also the other coilpack was starting to crack, so as the previous owner, I put some epoxy putty over the crack and call it a day. The car started great and run great as it should, but the sparkpulgs where very worn and the coils where damaged... so we keep adding things to the shopping cart

A few days after all this stuff, the turn signals started acting funny... they didn't blink, or they blinked one or twice and then nothing, so I knew the flasher relay was on it way out.

I took it out and re soldered all the conections, but it was the same... so out I went to try and found a flaasher relay on a holyday (and long weekend) in my country, I was very luckly that given that the city was almost a ghost town, the guys at the parts store were cheerfull and very helpful (not like that on a regular day), it tested the relay and proceded to find one with the same caracteristics as the Volvo part, but it's a Chevrolet Corsa/Celta/Agile flasher, and it has been working great... and we keep adding things to the shopping cart.

Last but not least, I finish with this photograpy

You might guess what I was doing...
Audi 100 1973 - Trying to get it on the road
UAZ 469 2002 - Beach/Surf Duties
trufauru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trufauru For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 22:06   #12
trufauru

As I left with the front of my car on the previews post partialy dismanteled, that's because since I bought it the headlight pattern wasn't as good as I expected, and the light regulators didn't regulate nothing.

So, I removed the headlights from the car, and was very happy to find out that the headlights are very easyly open, so I crack them open and proceed to take them apppart. I did find that the reflector housing was loose and all over the place, also that the reflector was burnt over the ages...

And all this little pieces where inside...

I took a better look and realice that all those pieces made a bigger part, and that part was one of the regulators for the reflector housing. So after a little glue and a lot of glued fingers, I end up with this.

It didn't hold up a lot, but I was able to reinforce it and that version did work as it should. After I ended with that piece I decided to clean the headlight mask, I used some kitchen degreaser to remove some dust and fingerprints, and then wipe it... only to...

and with no much problem, I got this

So now I had to go for the black look, luckly I had some black trim paint that works great, and after a little, here it is the result

a before/after shot

and the whole look (minus the corners that are sealed and I need to buy new ones)

Also this box arrived... with stuff

but thats for another post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trufauru For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 21:14   #13
trufauru

So, to keep up, with this, in the box we had

A little OEM Timing Belt Sticker, the car had one already, and it looked nice so I bought a new one

both new coil packs

new iridium spark plugs

some interior leds

and I didn't get the pictures of the timing belt kit (belt, tensioner, idler), new water pump, hood lift support, thermostat, oil filer gasket, cabin filter, a "new" sun visor
and some trim clips

I also got this... four used Carters and a broke spoiler

Last edited by trufauru; Oct 22nd, 2017 at 21:17.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 21:44   #14
trufauru

And another post

The other day I woke up wanting to do some stuff, and given that my mechanic friend wasn't on the mood for working I just worked on the sidewalk

there she is, waiting in the cold

The first thing on the agenda was to replace the thermostat, since I had bought the car it didn't got to temperature easly and while crusing on the highway you can see the temperature droping which is not good, so I replaced it with no problem, the one on the car was stuck open (if you look close, you can clearly see it)

after that I keep working nearby on the head and changed the coilpacks, that if you remember from the previous post they were kinda broken, so I replaced before any issues started,

and also I changed the spark plugs while working on the engine bay but I didn't got any photos, but the plugs where pretty worn, that the center electrode was like a triangle!

after that I closed the hood, climb inside (or crawl under hahah) and replaced the cabin filter... that was very very dirty (the old filter was black, but still... very dirty)

the interior leds where changed, as you can see the power output is quite drastic. And it also gives a more modern look.

and also changed the reverse lights, with some high power cree leds and now you can see a lot when they are on.

just one more thing for the day, I replaced the remote controler case, and battery, small things that add up a lot.
Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 16:34   #15
Haizum74
Master Member

Look forward to reading more about this. Always good to see someone care for their motor.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 21:05   #16
trufauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
Look forward to reading more about this. Always good to see someone care for their motor.
Thanks Haizum, I try my best to keep the car in the best shape possible, over here is very expensive to mantain a car but it is still my joy and my hobbie. I've seen that you have been takeing care of your car also.

one day I woke up and suddenly after loseing a few nuts, the car was looking like this

and I had this lying on the table

and after a while, out with the old, in with the new and it was looking much much better, no more the grandfather look

in short, the best update so far, the car looks great, much more modern and looks the part with the black headlights (I still need the black corner lights)

more updates soon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trufauru For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 06:53   #17
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

The new grill is a lot nicer than the old one. I hope you don't paint it black like the typical boy racer or drug dealer in Blighty!

Peeved to see some twassok is selling Volvo cam belt service strickers. It makes me think that if one plans to buy a V40 classic, it might be better to get a cheaper one that is due for a main cam belt service job, as receipts for such a job are easy to forge.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 18:14   #18
trufauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
The new grill is a lot nicer than the old one. I hope you don't paint it black like the typical boy racer or drug dealer in Blighty!

Peeved to see some twassok is selling Volvo cam belt service strickers. It makes me think that if one plans to buy a V40 classic, it might be better to get a cheaper one that is due for a main cam belt service job, as receipts for such a job are easy to forge.
the sticker is sold by Volvo itself, part number 5927377

after the little tune up right on the street, it was time for the timing belt and water pump and miselaneus stuff

all the fluids and stuff for the day, oil, oil filter, coolant, brake fluid, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, idler, etc

sadly since I was working, I wasn't able to take some good pictures of the work being done, but you can find great walkthroughs online

first of all, the trusty computer with those guides and VIDA open for the steps and torque ratings

first of all drain the oil

and then hands on

after a while parts where flying away

water pump was very easy and it was looking like new after 210.000kmts, as almost everything on the car

It took quite a while, because I wanted to make sure that the timing was spot on, and I checked and recheked everything several times. But not counting that, the work was a breeze, everything came loose very easy, nothing was stuck, and all is laid very good on the engine bay that you don't need to dismantle two or three parts in order to remove the first one that you were trying to remove.

Now for another 160.000kmts I won't have to do it again.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trufauru For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 18:48   #19
trufauru

another update, even with the lack of comentaries I will post some more with a little more photos, because I like the "old time" build threads

For a while the tailgate cover was loose and rattling around, and that was bothering me.

I removed it (just two screws and then pop all the clips), and found out this

As you can see, there aren't many clips left, so I bought some new clips and whent from this

to this in the blink of an eye (the new clips, just slide on, no problem there)

I don't have any picture of the trim installed, but you can imagine that it instaled as it should and no more noises.

------

also I did something with a thing that I never liked on the interior... that fake wood trim

I bought some carbon fibre imitation firm, and cover all the interior pieces, to get this look

Sadly... I also dont have any pictures of the installed pieces, but I did all the fake wood trim, the shifter surround, the glovebox front and the four doors little trim.

------

And to close this post, I finally had the Carters refinished an powdercoated and they came out great

Now I need to find some tires and install the new wheels on the car
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 10:04   #20
gatos
Premier Member

Alloys look really great

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote