Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar Optimisation

Views : 3822

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 16:23   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghdgh View Post
I don't disagree if its software the cost should be minimal, but R&D costs over and above from standard production costs will need to be met.
This assumes that the gearbox that works properly was a further development of the original. It could just as easily be that the working gearbox came first and that it was then deliberately crippled to create a sales opportunity for Polestar. (Me, a cynic?)

Quote:
However on top of the price to Volvo has this brought additional insurance costs?
Some insurers charge more, some don't.
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 16:42   #12
steadvex
Master Member

I'm gutted my insurance wouldn't cover it, I probably would of bought it on offer before Christmas otherwise, £900 is way too much, well £600 ish now but now its £900 it seems cheap!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 19:44   #13
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
...It could just as easily be that the working gearbox came first and that it was then deliberately crippled to create a sales opportunity for Polestar. (Me, a cynic?).
Definitely a cynic, but cynics are not seldom right...
Old Feb 3rd, 2018, 23:15   #14
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Some insurers charge more, some don't.
A lot of Insurers will accept Polestar either FOC or a notional small increase when you specify Polestar at the time of placing the original order as they consider it just an optional extra rather than an upgrade.
My Insurer LV= charge me approx an extra £24/annum extra.
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 00:54   #15
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
A lot of Insurers will accept Polestar either FOC or a notional small increase when you specify Polestar at the time of placing the original order as they consider it just an optional extra rather than an upgrade.
My Insurer LV= charge me approx an extra £24/annum extra.
I'm with AXA, I was told they would cancel my policy as they have a zero policy of any performance enhancements
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 01:02   #16
Jcbrown

I am getting rather tired of the whole "why didn't Volvo deliver the car like this" discussion in respect of the Polestar upgrade.

Accept it, your car (just like mine) was delivered as a compromise. It has to be useable by a range of drivers, terrains, roads, requirements, likes/dislikes, conditions, etc. It has to do this whilst also meeting ever increasing economy and emissions guidelines/regulation, and cope with a range of quality of fuel.

Software based modifications ("Chipping") are available for pretty much every make and model of car out there, and have been available for 40+ years. Such after market solutions promise better performance, better fuel economy, smoother gears, and so on.

But one of the major drawbacks of these after-market chips is that they invalidate your warrantee. Do you really want to spend 40K/50K/60K/70K/... on a complex mechanical machine, and then deliberately loose all rights if things go wrong?

I'm not sure how many other manufacturers offer "official" tuning options. Talking to friends/colleagues with BMs, Mercs, Jags, ... I do not believe those marques do. But all have after market chips available to supposedly iron out various flaws in them as delivered by the factory.

So Volvo offer us the option to get our cars "chipped" and still retain the manufactures warrantee. Yes, they charge a premium for this service compared to many 3rd party chipping company's, but so they should be allowed to for the added reassurance you have.

Personally I have never had a new car "chipped" before, as I do not want the potential hassle of any problems should things go wrong. I have friends and acquaintances who have had new cars chipped and had no issues. I have others who have faced (and had to pay) thousands in repair bills as the manufacturer refuses to repair failures they say were caused by the unapproved engine modifications.

If you are not happy with your car, Then I think you might want to ask yourself why did you buy it? The inferior gear-changes, poor performance, or less than expected/claimed MPG you are unhappy with are things you should have found during your purchase process: Multiple test drives, extended test drives, reviews, word-of-mouth, Forums such as this, etc. will all have helped you understand your cars good and bad points.

I thought long and hard before getting my D4 S90 Polestar-ed. Was I unhappy with the performance, they gear-changes, the economy before I had it done? No, I was not!

Did I notice the difference after it was done. Yes, and I was very happy with it thank you.

To all those who have had your car Polestar-ed, and are happy. I applaud you.

To all those who have had your car Polestar-ed, and then had it removed because you were not happy for whatever reason. I applaud you too

Volvo offer us a money back guarantee (minus a small fee I believe) if we are not happy. Unsure if Polestar is for you? Unsure if it is worth the cost, which I agree is high? Unsure if you will like it, notice it, ...? Then here is the perfect opportunity to try it pretty much risk free. if you took that option and weren't happy, then good on you. How prudent and wise you were.

We each have the choice on this, no one is forcing us to pay for this option. If you want your compromised car "fettling" in few areas, then consider Polestar. But consider the cost (it is not cheap), and your back out options. Do it with your eyes and mind open and you should not be disappointed, whatever the end result (you keep it, or have it removed).

One final applause for all those who think Polestar is not for them. There is nothing wrong with their car for what they want/use it for. The gearing is fine. The power is acceptable. the economy is around what you expected. Congratulations on your excellent choice.

To those who bang the "it should have been delivered like this" drum when someone posts that they love (or not) their Polestar upgrade. I do not understand what you are trying to say. No it should not!

If you do not like your car, then do something about it. If you do like it, then what is the problem?

I await the spamming/trolling/venom/... in response with interest
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:01   #17
dghdgh

Smile

I await the spamming/trolling/venom/... in response with interest [/QUOTE]

Don't disagree with anything in your post other than this. If someone disagrees with you and posts an argument that in their opinion differs from yours surely that is basis of a forum. As I ve said I agree with what you have posted but if I didn't who would be wrong? No venom spat.
dghdgh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dghdgh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 10:16   #18
BarryUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbrown View Post
I am getting rather tired of the whole "why didn't Volvo deliver the car like this" discussion in respect of the Polestar upgrade.

Accept it, your car (just like mine) was delivered as a compromise. It has to be useable by a range of drivers, terrains, roads, requirements, likes/dislikes, conditions, etc. It has to do this whilst also meeting ever increasing economy and emissions guidelines/regulation, and cope with a range of quality of fuel.

Software based modifications ("Chipping") are available for pretty much every make and model of car out there, and have been available for 40+ years. Such after market solutions promise better performance, better fuel economy, smoother gears, and so on.

But one of the major drawbacks of these after-market chips is that they invalidate your warrantee. Do you really want to spend 40K/50K/60K/70K/... on a complex mechanical machine, and then deliberately loose all rights if things go wrong?

I'm not sure how many other manufacturers offer "official" tuning options. Talking to friends/colleagues with BMs, Mercs, Jags, ... I do not believe those marques do. But all have after market chips available to supposedly iron out various flaws in them as delivered by the factory.

So Volvo offer us the option to get our cars "chipped" and still retain the manufactures warrantee. Yes, they charge a premium for this service compared to many 3rd party chipping company's, but so they should be allowed to for the added reassurance you have.

Personally I have never had a new car "chipped" before, as I do not want the potential hassle of any problems should things go wrong. I have friends and acquaintances who have had new cars chipped and had no issues. I have others who have faced (and had to pay) thousands in repair bills as the manufacturer refuses to repair failures they say were caused by the unapproved engine modifications.

If you are not happy with your car, Then I think you might want to ask yourself why did you buy it? The inferior gear-changes, poor performance, or less than expected/claimed MPG you are unhappy with are things you should have found during your purchase process: Multiple test drives, extended test drives, reviews, word-of-mouth, Forums such as this, etc. will all have helped you understand your cars good and bad points.

I thought long and hard before getting my D4 S90 Polestar-ed. Was I unhappy with the performance, they gear-changes, the economy before I had it done? No, I was not!

Did I notice the difference after it was done. Yes, and I was very happy with it thank you.

To all those who have had your car Polestar-ed, and are happy. I applaud you.

To all those who have had your car Polestar-ed, and then had it removed because you were not happy for whatever reason. I applaud you too

Volvo offer us a money back guarantee (minus a small fee I believe) if we are not happy. Unsure if Polestar is for you? Unsure if it is worth the cost, which I agree is high? Unsure if you will like it, notice it, ...? Then here is the perfect opportunity to try it pretty much risk free. if you took that option and weren't happy, then good on you. How prudent and wise you were.

We each have the choice on this, no one is forcing us to pay for this option. If you want your compromised car "fettling" in few areas, then consider Polestar. But consider the cost (it is not cheap), and your back out options. Do it with your eyes and mind open and you should not be disappointed, whatever the end result (you keep it, or have it removed).

One final applause for all those who think Polestar is not for them. There is nothing wrong with their car for what they want/use it for. The gearing is fine. The power is acceptable. the economy is around what you expected. Congratulations on your excellent choice.

To those who bang the "it should have been delivered like this" drum when someone posts that they love (or not) their Polestar upgrade. I do not understand what you are trying to say. No it should not!

If you do not like your car, then do something about it. If you do like it, then what is the problem?

I await the spamming/trolling/venom/... in response with interest
A very long post which doesn't stop my opinion being valid
BarryUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BarryUK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 11:59   #19
Considered1
Premier Member

What JC Brown said.
I had the polestar upgrade done even though I knew there was a good chance I might still sell the car, did It make a difference, yes, was I happy with the original car, yes and was it worth it, yes I had to try it, prob helped me sell the car as well.

Also remains an option for buying used Volvo for the more enthusiastic driver.

Although you need to be careful, I first experienced polestar on an older XC90 D5 courtesy car,boy did that thing take off!, but at the time c20mpg with it (Trust me the novelty doesn’t wear off) wouldn’t be so palatable.

No such official upgrades for BMW and Mercedes that i’m Aware of. Imagine the call to AMG, can you enhance the performance of my standard Merc, without affecting mpgAnd make the gearbox even better, yes we did Sir, you should have spent £20k more at the time of purchase!..so keep up the good work Volvo!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2018, 14:34   #20
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs up

I had Polestar on my last 4 cars and was going to have it on my latest V90 but the dealer said to give it a try without and was very pleasantly surprised and have decided not to have it done the D4 with the 8 speed box was a revelation and IMHO is great
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GJB For This Useful Post: