Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc90 my2019

Views : 6609

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 14:36   #11
Deman77
Master Member

I just looked at some reviews hoping they would corroborate what I said. Not so they say T5 is noisy (if that’s noisy than I have no words for D5, but they only call that noisy too - it’s night and day) when revved and has more turbo lag than T6. I found it to be very hushed and super responsive. In fact it was not far off my i3 for low speed responsiveness.

I think they confuse gearbox delay for turbo lag. All new SPA have this 8speed Aisin auto that hesitates when slammed hard and is also reluctant to shift down when you slow down into tight corner, which is stupid because it shifts down if you just let it roll to a halt. Polestar doesn’t solve it before people go suggesting. From my research it’s something to do with it trying to never go into first if it can help it. But knowing it does it and anticipating it allows you to beat it. For fastest smooth non-laggy pull away you should experiment and figure out the maximum throttle input that will result in instant pull away without the lag, you then increase it as car pulls away - if you just slam it down you get the hesitation. With slow corners or roundabout you just need to stab the throttle a lot earlier to get it to engage lower gear (still mastering that one I don’t have a formula I get partial success - again I think it works when subsequent throttle input is not full but progressively increased). Of course driving as an OAP is the best recipe for smooth shifts. Think about it as additional Volvo safety feature plus it keeps former bmw now Audi people away from Volvo brand.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 22:31   #12
Daveh1000

Would have definitely gone for mom pro with 19 inch wheels if that had been an option
Daveh1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 06:21   #13
vxf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Indeed as I fill up every 300 miles or 3.5 days.......
That's my biggest complaint about my T8.

Well, it "was" my biggest complaint. My car is dead and on road for a buyback. But it would have been nice to have a larger gas tank, in the past. With hard winter conditions in Buffalo, NY, I was struggling to get 200 miles between fuel stops.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 09:40   #14
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveh1000 View Post
Would have definitely gone for mom pro with 19 inch wheels if that had been an option
Having 19" wheels was one of the reasons I decided to start with a Momentum trim, adding packs
and options to configure the car as I wanted it, avoiding things I didn't like,need or want.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 10:53   #15
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Having 19" wheels was one of the reasons I decided to start with a Momentum trim, adding packs
and options to configure the car as I wanted it, avoiding things I didn't like,need or want.
Same here. I test drove an XC90 with the original 20" Contis and the noise was unbearable.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 11:54   #16
itsmitchelltime
VOC Member

Interesting if not unexpected that they’re bringing the T5 to the UK.

My Merc C class diesel estate is due for replacement in September, on the list for replacement the Xc90 is top, with the current GLE (I find it a bit old hat even compared to my c but with new one due next year there’s some cracking deals about) and the Lexus RX450 also on it.

I do 8-10k a year so don’t need a diesel - although I prefer the power delivery of it I’m not fussed what my next car is fueled by (I know the GLE engine will have no DPF issues as it’s the same one that I have currently - what about the D5?)

Not sure what the T5 will be like and suspect there’ll be no demos in time for when I’d need to place an order (been told May time).

It does seem that a lot of the price increase for me has been offset by the 12 in screen becoming standard and some other option price decreases.

Momentum T or D 5
Osmiuim grey
Xenium pack (+BLIS)
Tinted windows
Family pack (TBC)

Anything else I should be looking at spec wise?

Also any ideas how I can get around the test drive would an XC60 give a relevant experience?

Would the D5 give me any DPF issues there is probably a long motorway run at least once a month?
itsmitchelltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 13:55   #17
Quacker
Premier Member

Personally I avoid petrol engines on big cars that travel mainly mid to long distances like the plague. Give me diesel any day. The D5 in my XC90 is quieter than many petrol engines I've had in the past and the torque and power a lot higher. Couple that with a fair size fuel tank along with 39 to 40mpg long distance, giving a 575 miles safe range between refills, plus the convenience of filling from a tank at home and its a winner.

I remember my first petrol injection car and how much more powerful and economical it was than the car before it. That was the Mk1 Golf GTi after a Ford Fiesta 1300.
Yet today I have a car that beats the GTi's 0-60 time by two seconds, and does nearly 10mpg more on a journey at 40mpg [38 to 39 when cracking on] yet is a seven seater behemoth that weighs more than twice as much.

I'll pass on petrol thanks. The ideal for me would be a hybrid diesel-electric or ultimately a long range all-electric car.

For town cars, a petrol, petrol-electric or all electric car would be my choice, but I don't live near a town of any substance. My daughter commutes to her job 20 miles away and may well choose an all electric car like the Nissan Leaf next time
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 14:13   #18
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Same here. I test drove an XC90 with the original 20" Contis and the noise was unbearable.
I am not a big fan of big wheels with low profile tyres. They add cost but no value.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 12:26   #19
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmitchelltime View Post

Would the D5 give me any DPF issues there is probably a long motorway run at least once a month?
The manual (XC60) states:

"The car should be driven on A-roads at
speeds in excess of 60 km/h (38 mph) for at
least 20 minutes between each refuel."

A long motorway run once a month should more than cover that requirement.

I would go with the diesel option.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2018, 10:03   #20
Billfolder

Hi all, any chance anyone can post a link to the MY2019 pricelist?

I am unable to find one online.

I have just put down an order for a MY18.5 D5 momentum and would much prefer a T5 depending on the lead time and cost.
Billfolder is offline   Reply With Quote