Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 Forge piston & rods

Views : 1287

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 11:00   #11
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
Yes sorry the actual goal of the build.
Yeh initially it was just to go for power really but still a day to day with that k16 hybrid I have. But car is really just going to be a toy now for track and just a good old drive as I have something more economical now as a run around.

I missed out on some cheap newmans cams but some RS cams have appeared and wondering if they are worth the upgrade really.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 13:30   #12
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Sorry what do you mean? with the Cams? or with the general engine build in general?

If the cams are a benefit and will help with the engine build in terms of gains and how it runs then great I will add them but if there is no benefit on adding these then I wouldnt bother getting them.
I've understood that it's only the intake cam that is different on the RS.
In theory you will be able to flow more air in - I don't know what that equates to in rough % of power gain but there will be a benefit - just depends on what cost, I've read stuff about valve seat buckets needing shimming and that if you do want an upgraded inlet cam it's easier to fit a Newman Stage 1.
Ultimately if Tim's going to be doing the work that would be a question for him.

What power do you hope to achieve?
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 15:33   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
I've understood that it's only the intake cam that is different on the RS.
In theory you will be able to flow more air in - I don't know what that equates to in rough % of power gain but there will be a benefit - just depends on what cost, I've read stuff about valve seat buckets needing shimming and that if you do want an upgraded inlet cam it's easier to fit a Newman Stage 1.
Ultimately if Tim's going to be doing the work that would be a question for him.

What power do you hope to achieve?
Sorry with the upgrade cams I wasnt really expecting a gain but more a difference on how the car would run? maybe more aggressive? I have no idea really. but with the power goal, I am not entirely sure what I would like. For everything ive bought I would like to see myself close to or on the 400bhp area but also depends on drivability at the end of the day.

Nearly there though, just couple more things to get but still yet to research what kind of mapping I want and how I want it done.

Am looking around to see if its possible to get 2 maps with a switch to toggle an eco and a race mode or something (I basically just want a button that I can press to engage a full beans mode)

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 19:34   #14
Black dog

Am looking around to see if its possible to get 2 maps with a switch to toggle an eco and a race mode or something (I basically just want a button that I can press to engage a full beans mode)[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be called the accelerator pedal
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 22:36   #15
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black dog View Post
Wouldn't that be called the accelerator pedal
Nope defenitly a switch, if you ever drive a modern car with them in you will see what I mean

sensitivity of the accelarator, fueling, boost etc change at a switch depending how you want to drive, actually makes quite a difference. but if its going to cost too much then wouldnt bother.

Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 23:34   #16
Black dog

Yeah I understood what you ment. Was just joking around. I sold my focus st at 300bhp because I felt a power addiction coming on. Would loved to have taken it higher but got afraid I would never stop wanting more! If I was forging with a hybrid like you I'd be considering anti lag next. Good luck look forward to the updates.
Old May 24th, 2019, 07:09   #17
domhart10
Volvo S40

So just to update this thread and close.

Gone for K1 rods and Weisco pistons along with some Mahle race bearings for the internals. All picked up from BD performance who are now going to be doing the work on it.