Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Brakes 300mm to 320mm

Views : 2766

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 22:12   #11
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
so ,,no neon yellow/green calipers for you as well then ?
How about these?

Calipers waiting to go on my girlfriend's MK2 MX-5 which she'll have at some point in the future lol.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2018, 22:55   #12
iainmd

Could change the splash guard/backing plates too (I did). Otherwise you'll have to remove them as the old ones will be too small.

Personally, my experience of EBD TG discs was dreadful. They warped in 6 months and were binned along with the RedStuff pads that glazed them within 3 months. All-in-all that was a setup I regret purchasing.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 08:05   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

Just to update and close this thread for anyone looking to do the upgrade as well from 300 to 320. It has been a bit of a waste really and there is no real benefit at all, saving to swap these out for something bigger to replace.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:15   #14
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Just to update and close this thread for anyone looking to do the upgrade as well from 300 to 320. It has been a bit of a waste really and there is no real benefit at all, saving to swap these out for something bigger to replace.
Dom you saying there's no improvement? I've got some ST calipers being refurbed at the moment...
Old May 24th, 2019, 10:46   #15
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
Dom you saying there's no improvement? I've got some ST calipers being refurbed at the moment...
Yeh tbh mate not really noticed much difference at all, might look a tad bigger which for cosmetics is great but running the similar setup probably slightly more aggressive brake pad on the 320s but still not that much difference and thats coming from a complete 300 oem setup (With OEM pads and drilled / grooved / vented discs) to 320 setup (OEM pads with drilled / grooved / vented discs) 320 has braided hoses as well as fresh brake fluid.

Not much difference and last about the same on track.

Old May 24th, 2019, 11:09   #16
Markos01

Quote:
Yeh tbh mate not really noticed much difference at all, might look a tad bigger which for cosmetics is great but running the similar setup probably slightly more aggressive brake pad on the 320s but still not that much difference and thats coming from a complete 300 oem setup (With OEM pads and drilled / grooved / vented discs) to 320 setup (OEM pads with drilled / grooved / vented discs) 320 has braided hoses as well as fresh brake fluid.

Dang. Think the feel of my OE brakes are really poor, even my 19 year old shed Golf GTI's (115bhp) brakes feels better... I did wonder whether a 20mm increase would be enough. I'll still get them fitted and will just have to keep my fingers crossed they're not just a cosmetic improvement...!
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:15   #17
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
...esh brake fluid.

Interesting....
tbh thats the only opinion for "not worth it" i have heard so far, against few "omg what an improvement" , mostly from our US friends.
I bet its because the different gravity on US part of the globe (pancake, if you are flatEarther).

joking aside - really surprised...
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:40   #18
domhart10
Volvo S40

Yeh I know, sorry for the bad news guys. I mean you might get a tad bit of difference but its minimal really. I actually bought my 320 upgrade from a another guy with an s40 t5 who thought the same thing and has gone with a big brake kit. For actual braking gain there really isn't that much difference at all.

Like tracking these brakes, they would last about the same amount of laps. Taking it round the Nuremberg ring, they didn't even last a lap which was annoying considering the cost I put into them

Old May 24th, 2019, 14:05   #19
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Yeh I know, sorry for the bad news guys. I mean you might get a tad bit of difference but its minimal really. I actually bought my 320 upgrade from a another guy with an s40 t5 who thought the same thing and has gone with a big brake kit. For actual braking gain there really isn't that much difference at all.

Like tracking these brakes, they would last about the same amount of laps. Taking it round the Nuremberg ring, they didn't even last a lap which was annoying considering the cost I put into them
Right, I get you.
for track it may still be not sufficient enough, and for normal use maybe its just not enough difference for you to appreciate/use it.
Im 320mm from stock so cant compare, but most AWD folks from US (oddly 300 was standard there with 320 as a factory upgrade) reported almost "another world" differences... placebo effect of worn setup vs fresh one or somethings different there?
Old May 24th, 2019, 14:32   #20
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Right, I get you.
for track it may still be not sufficient enough, and for normal use maybe its just not enough difference for you to appreciate/use it.
Im 320mm from stock so cant compare, but most AWD folks from US (oddly 300 was standard there with 320 as a factory upgrade) reported almost "another world" differences... placebo effect of worn setup vs fresh one or somethings different there?
Yeh I'm leaning more towards the placebo, my comparison would be on a fresh set on the 300s including the bleeding against the fresh set on 320s, only difference is the now braided lines. Think there are a lot of placebo statements online though so I thought I would throw my opinions into the mix as I did this based on those opinions and it has been a waste of time and money for me really which is sad

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post: