Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

0w-20 VCC RBS0-2AE engine oil

Views : 2143

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2019, 14:15   #1
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Default 0w-20 VCC RBS0-2AE engine oil

£26.99 for 5L seems very cheap, particularly with free postage... has anyone tried it or had any experience with Westway Lubricants?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-0W20-F...-/122740556779
Old May 23rd, 2019, 18:30   #2
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The additive pack will be very weak at that price point, and its viscosity range highly dependant on a large dollop of viscosity-index-improving polymers (Vii), of which the ones used will be basic.
The upshot is, if it retains its required performance beyond 8k Id be surprised. Long before the full oci it wont be 0w20 anymore as a result of permanent shear from the basic Vii's. That said, it will have less vii than say a 0w40, so the proportional viscosity loss will be relatively low. Regardless, the other additives will also be deceased too.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2019, 20:00   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
The additive pack will be very weak at that price point, and its viscosity range highly dependant on a large dollop of viscosity-index-improving polymers (Vii), of which the ones used will be basic.
The upshot is, if it retains its required performance beyond 8k Id be surprised. Long before the full oci it wont be 0w20 anymore as a result of permanent shear from the basic Vii's. That said, it will have less vii than say a 0w40, so the proportional viscosity loss will be relatively low. Regardless, the other additives will also be deceased too.
But okay for any arising top-up requirements?
Old May 23rd, 2019, 21:04   #4
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yeah itd be fine for that!
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 15:04   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Bought!

But hopefully I won't need to use it...
Old May 24th, 2019, 22:09   #6
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

That's a lot of topping up!
Almost an oil change🤔
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 22:21   #7
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
That's a lot of topping up!
Almost an oil change🤔
True, but hopefully it'll last years and years!

I originally bought a 1L bottle of the correct Shell oil for top-ups, but that's now 50% used...
Old May 25th, 2019, 09:31   #8
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
True, but hopefully it'll last years and years!

I originally bought a 1L bottle of the correct Shell oil for top-ups, but that's now 50% used...
As a matter of interest I'm wondering
how much oil most people are using by mileage. I'm at 93k and still not using any. Just curious to know when I might need to break the seal on my top up bottle!
Old May 25th, 2019, 09:59   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash300 View Post
As a matter of interest I'm wondering
how much oil most people are using by mileage. I'm at 93k and still not using any. Just curious to know when I might need to break the seal on my top up bottle!
Well so far I've used 0.5L since the oil change around 3k miles ago. It'll obviously be lot more accurate if I wait until the next servicd before quoting my consumption. However I don't know if my car has really consumed oil, or if the electronic level was somehow incorrectly set (or not set) at the last change.

As a related issue, I still can't work out why the electronic dipstick has to be reset at every oil change. If it's really super accurate with no drift then it should surely be set during production and then never touched? Resetting it at every change after the new oil has been loaded is asking for trouble...
Old May 26th, 2019, 17:43   #10
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Well so far I've used 0.5L since the oil change around 3k miles ago. It'll obviously be lot more accurate if I wait until the next servicd before quoting my consumption. However I don't know if my car has really consumed oil, or if the electronic level was somehow incorrectly set (or not set) at the last change.

As a related issue, I still can't work out why the electronic dipstick has to be reset at every oil change. If it's really super accurate with no drift then it should surely be set during production and then never touched? Resetting it at every change after the new oil has been loaded is asking for trouble...
A piece of pointless technology imo. Nevertheless if your consumption is correct
with my annual 20k I would be getting through over 3.5 ltrs per year and would rightly be buying in quantity as I do with my classics, which tend to leak more than use!
However at 93k and towing most of the time, so heavy use, I am currently using nothing between services. So I suspect and hope that your electric dipstick is telling lies.