Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anything will help. Please

Views : 453

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2019, 19:00   #1
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Default Anything will help. Please

2004 XC70 D5 awd 214k

Hello.
I need ideas, anything will help. i am getting so frustrated that all i want is to sell my car. I am tired

I have recovered my car from the death, gearbox oil was bronw now its red clear, Brakes, disk, angle gear and rear axel oil , time belt water pump, radiator intercooler several pipes , droplinks egr , firters the list is long.
There was always a problem the annoys me, the car at 2000 rpm is really loud then you drive it for 30 min an hour then you stop, the car after 10 min or so you drive it and its silent and smooth...dont know why. its sounds like the bass sound when the egr is on

4 days ago i took apart intake manifold and valve cover to replace the gasket there was a leak. I have cleaned all the crude. Put all back together ...perfect no leaks pulls like a bull. Next day, oil change, filter, and fuel filter. Wen for a 15 mile ride , wow all perfect.

Yesterday my wife was parking and i notice a loud sound of BASS i checked the engine compartment and the bass sound was there . i turn the car off and then back on the egr works for a few minutes and then off, when you drive it the bass sound starts again.

Today we went to London. the first hour and half the car was really loud at 2000 rpm gets less loud after 2200 and lower than 1800 gets lower to.
We got to London and 3 or 4 miles before our destination , the car was brand new silent the only thing you could hear was a soft wind of the turbo. We parked the car and went our way. 3 hours later. The trip back. The car was loud again i dont know if this are related but here it goes.

The car was loud again, so we went to the traffic ..stop and go and the started not always , but when you press the brake to a complete stop after second you could feel a kick no sound just the motion like you are putting 1st gear without fully press the clutch (mine as a Geotronic gearbox). its started to do 8 out of 10. then you would drive it for a longer space without stop next time you stop wouldn't do it. ANDDDD the dim on the dash usually everything dims down now only the fuel, tempm rev counter and speedometer dim the trip clock computer dont. if you go up and down for a bit usually works one or twice.

SO please anything you can help with its welcome , i am almost giving up , i am tired of working my a....and this things i can explain or fix get me.

I know its to much to ask....

Many thanks for reading

Last edited by Anubisxc70; May 24th, 2019 at 20:39.
Anubisxc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 19:08   #2
oragex
Premier Member

When it's making that noise, have you tried with a longer hose about 1/2" hole to listen to one end and hover over parts of the engine/exhaust with the other end ? All this with much care around rotating parts (also careful with any clothes/hair hanging)
Old May 24th, 2019, 19:13   #3
Anubisxc70
Master Member

TY Oragex.
Its hard to isolate, it looks like EGR side but at the same it looks front , i honestly cant isolate.
I will try to make a video of it
Many thanks

Last edited by Anubisxc70; May 24th, 2019 at 20:38.
Old May 25th, 2019, 06:55   #4
Anubisxc70
Master Member

anybody?
Old May 25th, 2019, 12:27   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

A 2004 with 214K, you say?

Muffler/resonator internals going...
Collapsed engine mount allowing metal to metal contact...

The sound: "...sounds like the bass sound when the egr is on". Remember, we don't get to play with Volvo diesels here so I have no clue. A sound recording would help immensely.

Could it be the "egr on"?
Did you install a weird air cleaner which changed the resonance of the intake? (straw grabbing from across the sea this)
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 13:09   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

try blanking egr and see if anything changes
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 21:41   #7
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
A 2004 with 214K, you say?

Muffler/resonator internals going...
Collapsed engine mount allowing metal to metal contact...

The sound: "...sounds like the bass sound when the egr is on". Remember, we don't get to play with Volvo diesels here so I have no clue. A sound recording would help immensely.

Could it be the "egr on"?
Did you install a weird air cleaner which changed the resonance of the intake? (straw grabbing from across the sea this)
George thank you for your always good imput.

My muffler is old but there are no holes....Now resonator..what is that it the the lower tube that connects the cold side of turbo ( mine is a tube not plastic)??
Engine mounts are good nothing wrong there and pressures are fine (SirRob method )
I didn't install nothing it has the original filter no crazy things
I work the weekend but i will try to record the sound.

Any idea what is causing the motion on the gearbox. It only happens if i really press the brake to stop if i let it stop slowly and then apply brake nothing happens. on traffic is crazy after a wile. Looks like the car is going first shift with brakes on

Once again many thanks to all
Old May 25th, 2019, 21:42   #8
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Sounds like an exhaust issue. Flex pipe?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 21:48   #9
Anubisxc70
Master Member

Ty Pierre.
I though about it , i cant see nothing from under the car...
And the thing is after a wile it stops...then returns....