Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on buying volvo

Views : 1963

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2019, 08:13   #31
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
Yes I feel the same after just recently getting this s40 and not realizing until a few days after that the suspension is really bad..

You have a few things that I can look for today when testing the s40 ?

Bad signs to look out for with engine and suspension and steering ?

Braking with loose hold on the steering wheel what exactly does it show?
I think that what David is alluding to, 'Benholder' is that (a) you can 'feel' if the car is tracking 'true' (allowing for camber) and (b) more significantly, detect any imbalance or 'pull' in the brakes, or 'judder' under heavy application, both of which can be indicative of underlying faults.

Such things are not easy to put into words, but much more readily sensed, especially with a little experience.

You are doing the right thing by seeking advice, and the chances are that, if followed, it will ensure that you end up with a good car.

I'm not au fait with the S40, but in general terms, I have found that it pays not to be too specific regarding model or colour when buying secondhand, but instead to go for the best example that you can find within your budget. Keep a few pounds in your back pocket as a contingency for the small things that any used car will inevitably require and you will not go far wrong.

Regards, John.
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:30   #32
Benholder90

This is my one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190523-140602_Gallery.jpg (208.6 KB, 14 views)
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:31   #33
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Yes I feel the same after just recently getting this s40 and not realizing until a few days after that the suspension is really bad..

You have a few things that I can look for today when testing the s40 ?

Bad signs to look out for with engine and suspension and steering ?

Braking with loose hold on the steering wheel what exactly does it show?
I'm not that familiar with the S40, but if I was to be looking at a car-
Overall condition, paint quality, chips, dents etc and any sign of a repair (repair is not a killer I just want to know what was done and why) has it got good tyres in a good brand - Interior condition, clean, no tears stains or breakages, does it fit with the mileage, - Engine, does it start well from cold, sound OK while warming up and warm up quickly, does it sound OK when warm including revving hard on test drive, does it change gear properly, does it pull well at low revs, does it leak oil or water. - Suspension and steering, does it corner OK, is the steering responsive and accurate, does the suspension creak or knock, does the car ride well over bumps - Braking, does it stop, is the braking smooth, does it stop in a straight line if you aren't hanging on the wheel (if it veers off there's a problem with the tyres or brakes) - In the office, does it have a good service history, worth more than a quick glance as a big wad of paper may be just receipts for tyres and MOT failure tickets, or a problem that has been repaired many times may still be there.

As I say that's not S40 specific just a quick list off of the top of my head, for the S40 you could browse the appropriate forum here, make sure you're looking at the right year group as there can be significant differences, also bear in mind that people post on forums like this when they have a problem, hundreds of people are happily driving their cars to the shops this morning without posting how trouble free their journey was.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:35   #34
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I think that what David is alluding to, 'Benholder' is that (a) you can 'feel' if the car is tracking 'true' (allowing for camber) and (b) more significantly, detect any imbalance or 'pull' in the brakes, or 'judder' under heavy application, both of which can be indicative of underlying faults.

Such things are not easy to put into words, but much more readily sensed, especially with a little experience.

You are doing the right thing by seeking advice, and the chances are that, if followed, it will ensure that you end up with a good car.

I'm not au fait with the S40, but in general terms, I have found that it pays not to be too specific regarding model or colour when buying secondhand, but instead to go for the best example that you can find within your budget. Keep a few pounds in your back pocket as a contingency for the small things that any used car will inevitably require and you will not go far wrong.

Regards, John.
Good advice ^^^^^^^^

As regards keeping some loose change in the pocket for repairs and improvements. From past experience I have found that any second hand car I have bought - no matter how good - needs £500 spending on it to get to the point where I am truly happy with it.

If everything was equal regarding condition, service history etc, I would definitely go for the S60 over a S40. A so much nicer and refined car imo.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:47   #35
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Agree absolutely, David. In a nutshell, does the car feel right? Call it a 'gut feel', 'vibes', whatever, but if a car doesn't feel right I will walk away. There are many more out there for one to chose from.

Anyhoo ... its our monthly mens' breakfast group meeting this morning, and I'm away now in the sunshine to catch a full monty!

Regards, John.
Old May 25th, 2019, 10:09   #36
Benholder90

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post

Regards, John.
Yes I get what you mean about not being able to explain with words but rather it's about sensing..

What do you mean by 'tracking true' ? Also if the brakes are juddering or if it pulls to one side while braking what does this indicate?
Old May 25th, 2019, 11:38   #37
LankyTim
Missing the point

I love my 2002 V70 D5. It has 202k on the clock but unfortunately has succumbed to rust in the front suspension mounts, worth checking for on an old Volvo. They are certainly less rot prone than other manufacturers though.
LankyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 11:50   #38
Benholder90

So just found out this s40 d5 I want to look at today has no service history with it..

But guy says it drives fine and no problems

Still worth going to look ?
Old May 25th, 2019, 12:11   #39
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Yes I get what you mean about not being able to explain with words but rather it's about sensing..

What do you mean by 'tracking true' ? Also if the brakes are juddering or if it pulls to one side while braking what does this indicate?
I'm sure there are others on here who are better qualified to explain in technical terms, but, speaking as a layman, here goes:

The car should, when travelling at say 60MPH on a smooth, level road, continue to run in a straight line, always allowing for a slight run down the camber, requiring little steering correction. If you are forever fighting to keep the car 'on course', something is clearly amiss. The car may simply require the tracking reset, or the chassis may have been twisted in an accident.

If the car pulls to one side or the other under heavy braking, it suggests imbalance across the axle which may indicate caliper issues. Juddering is often down to distorted disks. Perhaps the surest way to gain reassurance in these matters if you are uncertain of your own abilities would be to submit the car to a trusted MOT tester. The above issues, and many others, should be picked up during the test.

A quick and easy check that you can do is to CAREFULLY feel the wheels after a run. They should be warm and of uniform temperature. One noticeably hotter or colder than the others suggests problems with that brake.

That is why David's advice regarding a rigorous test drive is sound. Cars are good at hiding faults when driven gently / normally, that will only become apparent when extended. For example, you may notice a misfire at near maximum RPM that would not manifest itself when driven at half power.

It may pay you, when you have narrowed your search down to a specific car, to have it professionally checked for your complete peace of mind.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; May 25th, 2019 at 12:13.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2019, 12:32   #40
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
So just found out this s40 d5 I want to look at today has no service history with it..

But guy says it drives fine and no problems

Still worth going to look ?
The way I see it... And please mind that it is only my own opinion, may not be worth much..

Guy has a S40 for £1600, without history, and wants to give you £1000 in PX for your old..

I assume he's a trader- private seller isnt likely to offer a PX.

For me- it stinks.

He knows what he's selling, and is happy to swap it cheaply for your old (£600 difference?!?)
So it is my assumption that he wants to get rid of something dodgy, and put his hands on something better, easier to sell, easier to make him money.

Edit:

If you feel that you really, really must, that after a test drive it feels ok-ish, and you'd be happy with it...

Pay even minimal , even silly £1 by credit card.

If he refuses it- walk away.

Credit card company will cover you in case there is something wrong with the car, even for that £1, they'll get their own lawyers onto seller, forcing him to either fix it or take it back.

Naturally private sellers don't accept credit cards by default, so this works only with trade.

Last edited by ThomasG; May 25th, 2019 at 12:46.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post: