Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

You ever sold a Volvo before?

Views : 1763

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:51   #11
Adenchik
Volvo Enthusiast

Hi people! I would like to thank everyone for your advise; especially Arianne for spending his/her valuable time and getting so much valuable information.

I'm both very happy and sad to inform you all that my baby has been sold this morning for the advertised price of £2700. Three people were fighting to buy the car off me as they all came pretty much at the same time. Only one of them had some cash on him for a deposit to secure the sale, so I sold it to him. I have to admit, it was originally advertised for £3000, I dropped the price by £300 a week ago and it was sold straight away.

In regards to my new car, it's an '09 V70 3.0 T6 Se AWD with 285PS in gun metal grey. So jolly now!!
Adenchik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adenchik For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2014, 18:16   #12
Arianne
Premier Member

Adenchik, I am pleased for you. Every time someone sells their car privately and avoids being underpaid on a p/x it makes me happy!

TBH, normally you wouldn't have got me for that length of time to write my post. But I am away on business right now (currently heading back to Bonnie Scotland on East Coast with First Class free wifi) and so I had some time on my hands before my day really kicked off.

Sounds like you didn't need the advice though......not this time but perhaps next.

The Volvo forum has saved me ££££ and it's good to give a bit back to the other members from time to time.

Best wishes & I hope you enjoy your new car as much as I will be enjoying mine when I eventually return home after six days away!

Arianne
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:08   #13
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenchik View Post
Is it me or are petrol Volvos a nightmare to sell? I've got an '06 1.6 S with full V/S/H and all these added extras bla-bla, etc. But it's so hard to sell! I've been trying for almost 3 weeks now, and no chance, just some chavs or freshies with their dream offers that won't get them a CAT-D!

I know my father had problems selling his 05' S60 in the past, and that was petrol aswel. Why are people so afraid of petrol cars these days? Why do they think that buying a diesel will all of a sudden save fuel? In my opinion, unless you're covering crazy mileage daily, like I am, doing nearly 120 miles a day on the M1 in this baby; then there's no point of buying a diesel at all.

My car is simply the best 1.6 s out there, and no, I'm not selling it over the market value or anything like that, it's for sale at £2700 only!! That's the bargain of the year as I've checked everywhere, and these go for at least £3k on Auto-Trader and eBay.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...ale/1056246128

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ew-car/2259234

Any suggestions? I'm supposed to be picking up a V70 in two weeks time, so urgently need to sell this baby now.

I've owned big petrol cars for about the last 20 years and never really given fuel economy much of a thought (within reason) and have only very recently considered a diesel car due to the fact I'm now middle aged.
It also depends on wether you worry about resale value or not, obviously big petrol engine cars don't have much but i keep mine for normally about 6-10 years anyway
When the modern diesels are running properly they are superb but as a guy in the motor trade when they go wrong... the cost is huge compared to petrols and this scares me at some of the bills I see.
Plus the petrol equivalents are normally a fair bit cheaper.
Just my tuppens worth and confident others would disagree though.
Good to see you sold your car eventually though.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:37   #14
JonnyA

a quick thanks to arianne for the sellers advice, a timely reminder of how to do it for me as I'm about to market my wife's Peugeot 206cc - a sunny summer convertible ...any takers??
JonnyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 18:45   #15
alanoconnor

I have never had an issue selling a petrol Volvo - they go quickly if you are honest about the condition of the car, the pricing is not too greedy and you can give some advice on who can fix any issues with them.

My purchase and sales of petrol Volvo cars:

S60 2.0t manual 53 plate (130K) - bought for £1200, sold 15,000 miles later for £1500. Oil change, air filter and tyres I spent on it.

C70 T5 manual Coupe 51 plate (37K) - bought for £1350, sold 10,000 miles later for £3750. Bought some better Comets off ebay for £200, timing belt £300, new tyres, oil and filter change.

S60 T5 manual 57 plate (150K) - bought for £1000, sold 28,000 miles later for £700. New tyres, oil and filter change.

S60 T5 manual 2005 plate (75K) - bought for £1800. I have had 2 sets of tyres on it, a new set of alloys and spent over £10,000 on it already. It's done 81K now and will never sell it as it is my perfect car now.

Personally, I don't like diesel cars. Like I wouldn't buy an un-corded hoover. It's just a preference. I do have a Rav4 I use for work but I wouldn't buy a diesel Volvo and would only buy a 5 cylinder T5 again.

Cars are easy to sell at the right price, whatever their condition, or marque.
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 19:08   #16
capt jack
VOC Member

Bought my 97 V70 2.5 petrol auto in 2005 with 53,000 miles on from a Volvo main dealer for £5995. Sold it in 2013 with 293,000 miles up for £625. Put it on Gumtree and it was sold to the first enquirer within an hour of the ad going live. Clear write-up, no bull, half a dozen decent pictures, and made sure that the car was clean and presentable and had a file full of paperwork. I'd had LPG fitted when I bought the car so it did have that advantage when it came to sell.

I used the car for work, and so claimed the HMRC mileage rates. I once worked out that taking everything into account, fuel, insurance, services, repairs, LPG conversion cost, depreciation etc I actually made a small profit over the time it was mine.

The only mistake I made was selling it.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 19:34   #17
alanoconnor

Same with my C70 T5 coupe - there is no way I should have sold that car but I didn't have a job and my wife wanted some money. Back together now (with the wife, not the C70) and I am gutted (about the C70, not getting back with the wife).
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 21:44   #18
ITSv40
VOC Member

Holy thread resurrection.

I suspect five years down the line it will be the diesel car owners whining that they are difficult to sell.

As ever though, a honest description and a fair price and any car will sell.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old May 21st, 2019, 22:04   #19
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adenchik View Post
Is it me or are petrol Volvos a nightmare to sell? I've got an '06 1.6 S with full V/S/H and all these added extras bla-bla, etc. But it's so hard to sell! I've been trying for almost 3 weeks now, and no chance, just some chavs or freshies with their dream offers that won't get them a CAT-D!

I know my father had problems selling his 05' S60 in the past, and that was petrol aswel. Why are people so afraid of petrol cars these days? Why do they think that buying a diesel will all of a sudden save fuel? In my opinion, unless you're covering crazy mileage daily, like I am, doing nearly 120 miles a day on the M1 in this baby; then there's no point of buying a diesel at all.

My car is simply the best 1.6 s out there, and no, I'm not selling it over the market value or anything like that, it's for sale at £2700 only!! That's the bargain of the year as I've checked everywhere, and these go for at least £3k on Auto-Trader and eBay.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...ale/1056246128

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ew-car/2259234

Any suggestions? I'm supposed to be picking up a V70 in two weeks time, so urgently need to sell this baby now.
I wouldn’t entertain a car like that. Expensive to run and yet gutless. My xc90 does 30mpg plus easy and have 200 horse power. It’s probably a similar speed to yours and probably not that much more costly on fuel. Sell an edficient diesel or a rapid petrol but don’t try and hold out for a good price on something slow and expensive to run.

That’s my opinion anyway.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 22:08   #20
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Holy thread resurrection.

I suspect five years down the line it will be the diesel car owners whining that they are difficult to sell.

As ever though, a honest description and a fair price and any car will sell.
The trouble is now I want to know, did the OP ever sell his car? Did he get a good price for it? Or is it still on ebay, being relisted every fortnight?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: