Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bracing

Views : 1555

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 11th, 2019, 03:33   #1
Gonzobard

Default Bracing

I’m new to 850s having recently bought an 850 R estate, I like it and am enjoying it. Some of the roads near me are pretty rough and there seems to be plenty of scuttle shake on the worst of them. What improvement might strut braces make? I’ve seen both front and rear available. The car is lowered and running firmer dampers - I like the firmness of the ride but not the numerous interior rattles which I need to chase and sort. Any advice on bracing welcomed. Thanks
Gonzobard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:01   #2
volvo again
Master Member

I'm not really sure if strut bracing will stop rattles, it may stiffen the car a bit, but firmer suspension will transmit through the car more, especially more if you have lower profile tyres as there is nothing to soak up the bumps, so to speak.
If rattles squeaks etc are from loose trim you may want to check for missing trim clips etc.
My V70 has an annoying rattle from the dashboard drivers side which I've been unable to cure, despite removing the complete dash and refixing.
Others here may have more advice for you.
Just one of the joys of driving on our poor roads...
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:50   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo again View Post
My V70 has an annoying rattle from the dashboard drivers side which I've been unable to cure, despite removing the complete dash and refixing.
My old 850 had the same dash rattle - I tried removing and re-fitting the dash but the problem seems to start with the light weight tabs which don't react too well to firm tightening of screws/bolts, clips & etc.

The eventual final cure was a firm palm of the hand wallop to the dash cover just above the dials, which probably forced the tab screws to bite a little better, and then inserting a rubber wedge in the small gap between the right hand side of the top of the dash and the A pillar.

NB don't hit the dash too hard.....as excessive force can crack the acrylic dial cover

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; May 11th, 2019 at 09:54.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 16:00   #4
Gonzobard

I’m sure bracing won’t stop rattling, I’ll have to deal with that separately, but I do feel the car almost twisting at times. Both front and rear braces look easy enough to fit.
Old May 11th, 2019, 16:43   #5
DSK
C70 T5

OEM Volvo front struct braces are around £65 (well they were some years back) and they do make a noticeable improvement even on the R models.

However, by the sounds of its, firm/modified suspension coupled with the low profile R tyres ensure such issues are transmitted through the cabin so I doubt a strut brace will help you achieve what you are looking for.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 16:45   #6
volvo again
Master Member

I can understand where the front strut brace goes, maybe I'm a bit thick today...but where does the rear one go??
I can only presume it fits across the top damper mountings ??

Last edited by volvo again; May 11th, 2019 at 16:48.
volvo again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 09:51   #7
Gonzobard

It looks like it goes between damper mounts, across the top of the petrol tank. I appreciate it won’t resolve rattling, I have to deal with those issues separately. However, I assume it will help deal with chassis flexing.
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:00   #8
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
OEM Volvo front struct braces are around £65 (well they were some years back) and they do make a noticeable improvement even on the R models.

However, by the sounds of its, firm/modified suspension coupled with the low profile R tyres ensure such issues are transmitted through the cabin so I doubt a strut brace will help you achieve what you are looking for.
They are no longer available as an OEM from Volvo - even second hand they are as rare as hen's teeth and are likely to cost £80 or more when you do find one.

After market ones based on a modified Volvo design start at around £115 (ebay) again, make sure you get one for a RHD model - the LHDs don't fit!

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:48   #9
sdg1970
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post

After market ones based on a modified Volvo design start at around £115 (ebay) again, make sure you get one for a RHD model - the LHDs don't fit!
I'm looking for one for my P1 V70R - have you got a link as I don't seem to be able to find one!?!?
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:55   #10
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Going back to the noisy dash...

Back when I had a V70, the dash was always 'noisy' with creaks and/or rattles.

I tried all the different remedies of taking it all out and re-installing it etc. Usually with little or no success.

However, I did, in the end, cure it. I bought some small felt pads (no sticky side) off that well-known auction side, then loosened the dash fastenings all round - but just a little bit.

Then I stuffed those felt pads all along the top edge of the dash where it meets the windscreen and re-tightened the fastenings. Needless to say, over-tightening of the fastenings is guaranteed to cause breakages!

But my dash never creaked or rattled after that.

I often wonder if a later owner took the dash top off, for some reason or another and wonder why there were small felt pads all along there.

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post: