Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine Polestar upgrade

Views : 353

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2019, 11:45   #1
gsouth9

Default Engine Polestar upgrade

Hi I am new to Volvo and the forum so please bare with... Have purchased a model 2019 V60 ex demonstrator... Was looking at the polestar engine upgrade and wondered if anyone had it... or was it worth it in terms of performance and fuel performance? Seems a high price to pay which you might not see in terms of fuel saving? Any advise or comments welcome
gsouth9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:01   #2
SignumGB
XC70 Owner/VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsouth9 View Post
Hi I am new to Volvo and the forum so please bare with... Have purchased a model 2019 V60 ex demonstrator... Was looking at the polestar engine upgrade and wondered if anyone had it... or was it worth it in terms of performance and fuel performance? Seems a high price to pay which you might not see in terms of fuel saving? Any advise or comments welcome
Got Polestar done 2 weeks ago on a D4 XC70 manual. It's refined the car and a more enjoyable drive. Thanks to some forum member here, I was spurned on to find a better deal and shop around. Got it for £675. However, others have found it for much cheaper, albeit was too far away from me for a cost/time benefit.

I could have got a much cheaper performance enhancement from a third party, but that would have invalidated my Volvo Selekt warranty. Plus, if you take your Volvo into a dealer and get any software updates from Volvo as part of a service, it will wipe your third party mod. With Polestar, that doesnt happen. For the above reasons, thats why I was happy to pay for Polestar.

2012 Volvo XC70 3.0L AWD T6 [CAN🍁]
2015 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D4 SE LUX - Sold 78,728 Miles (July 2023) [GB]
2012 Volvo XC70 2.4L AWD D3 SE LUX - Written off 76,500 Miles (Aug 2017)[GB]
SignumGB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SignumGB For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:10   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsouth9 View Post
Polestar is not an economy device it is a power increase , If you are going to pay out that kind of money you are going to use it surely? Which will increase fuel consumption . What volvo say is that it does not increase fuel consumption , which is true if you drive the same as you did before . Polestar also alters the performance of other areas of the car such as gearbox for example ...
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:43   #4
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignumGB View Post
Got Polestar done 2 weeks ago on a D4 XC70 manual. It's refined the car and a more enjoyable drive. Thanks to some forum member here, I was spurned on to find a better deal and shop around. Got it for £675. However, others have found it for much cheaper, albeit was too far away from me for a cost/time benefit.

I could have got a much cheaper performance enhancement from a third party, but that would have invalidated my Volvo Selekt warranty. Plus, if you take your Volvo into a dealer and get any software updates from Volvo as part of a service, it will wipe your third party mod. With Polestar, that doesnt happen. For the above reasons, thats why I was happy to pay for Polestar.
Agree with all the above.
As you’ll see from my Volvo history, I’ve found P* very worthwhile, both with 5-cyl. engines and newer 4-cyl.
It can seem a little pricey and on paper the figures don’t always look particularly impressive, but it’s more about refinement and usability - and mid-range punch is noticeably better.
Don’t expect to save on fuel. Although they say that economy is unaffected, that’s just in normal use - but the extra performance can encourage your right foot to put on weight, which will have an effect!
There’s rarely any need to pay full price as there are official offers from time to time and sometimes you can get a discount simply by asking, but that depends entirely on dealership attitude - e.g. you’ve just bought a nearly new car, so maybe they’ll want to keep their new customer happy...? Good luck!
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvocat For This Useful Post:
Old May 22nd, 2019, 17:29   #5
green van man
Premier Member

I have it and would not now be without it. D5 xc70 manual.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2019, 10:37   #6
Ukwide

Default Polestar Upgrade

Hi, I’ve got the Polestar upgrade on my 2010 S80 D5 and it does make a big difference. It turns the car from a swift saloon to one which is responsive, smooth and very, very swift.

As for fuel economy, forget it, you will want to use the power especially for overtaking, which be warned needs thought, because if you hit the shag pile with your right foot, the car will respond immediately and the back of the car In front will come up very fast whilst you’re still waiting for the gap to appear. If you drive like a nun on mogadon and I’ve tried it, I cannot get the fuel consumption above 52 mpg and that was on a continental 400 mile autobahn run ta 60 mph.

BUT, it does put a huge smile on your face 😆
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ukwide For This Useful Post: