Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Supermarket fuel

Views : 4145

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2019, 11:54   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Great responses, thanks.

Do any of you add these fuel additives to your fuel tank, like Redex?
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:02   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Great responses, thanks.

Do any of you add these fuel additives to your fuel tank, like Redex?
I sometimes do, something like Comma Fuel Injector cleaner or similar, Redex is in a similar group but i don't feel it works as well as the Comma or indeed ATF-U that i experimented with at one time. Literally only need about 50ml for a full tank, i mentioned to someone else that i'd tried it, they decided to do the same with a larger quantity and had similar results to me, much smoother after a week or so of running, fuel pumps quieter, generally more responsive.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:26   #13
Bendolfc
Premier Member

My car is on 205K and for the last 120K miles has been run pretty much on either Asda or Tesco diesel with no ill effects. I did try about 10 tank fulls one after the other of V power and the car ran exactly the same and returned exactly the same MPG so reverted to supermarkert or Costco if in the vicinity.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:50   #14
Billggski

My friend's 1942 Willys Jeep has a plate saying " minimum octane 68".
Those were the days!
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 13:58   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
My friend's 1942 Willys Jeep has a plate saying " minimum octane 68".
Those were the days!
That was almost jet fuel back then though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 14:23   #16
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
facts , not "ah but..marketing says" , proven facts by someone (his next door) who used it ,
I’ve never had an issue, my D4 runs fine on all of it.

TT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 20:57   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I sometimes do, something like Comma Fuel Injector cleaner or similar, Redex is in a similar group but i don't feel it works as well as the Comma or indeed ATF-U that i experimented with at one time. Literally only need about 50ml for a full tank, i mentioned to someone else that i'd tried it, they decided to do the same with a larger quantity and had similar results to me, much smoother after a week or so of running, fuel pumps quieter, generally more responsive.
Like Supermarket fuel, you hear all sorts of stories about fuel additives like Redex. I guess its okay to use then? I'm thinking of putting some in my S80 2.4 D, but I'm afraid of it causing problems.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 24th, 2019, 22:37   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Like Supermarket fuel, you hear all sorts of stories about fuel additives like Redex. I guess its okay to use then? I'm thinking of putting some in my S80 2.4 D, but I'm afraid of it causing problems.
Shouldn't cause any problems, like most products people have their favourites, i'm not a fan of Redex, prefer Comma , Wynns or similar but most proprietary things are reasonably good.

Old May 26th, 2019, 08:55   #19
Dippydog
Premier Member

Can't answer for diesels as I've never owned one.but a good few years ago I tried running a Senator I had at the time on the Shell super duper stuff[whatever it was called at the time] and the only difference I noticed was the fact I got less petrol for my £££s so I went back to using whatever was cheapest[as long I wasn't having to detour to get it] I've never had problems with fuel from a supermarket or any other source.Way back when petrol staion forecourts used to have a large can of Redex at the pumps which you could ask for when fuelling[yes people used to come out and put fuel in your car for you]so you'd ask for X gallons[or specify a money amount]and then Y number of shots of Redex at 1d a shot.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:12   #20
huron
Master Member

Which basically made it a weak two stroke.
I've never used anything but supermarket, petrol and diesel, in any of my vehicles and it's never caused any problems and I seem to get the accepted fuel econemy for them all of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to huron For This Useful Post: