Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740GL estate 1989 for sale

Views : 1350

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 21:00   #1
moby740

Unhappy 740GL estate 1989 for sale

My girlfriend is sadly looking to sell her lovely old 740 Estate,Moby. He is in really nice condition and will last for many more years yet. It is a 2.3 manual, in blue. No rust, interior is fantastic and apart from the usual very small cracks on the dashboard and two broken front door bins (like that when we brought it, still work and could be repaired or replaced) and scrubs up like new with lovely grey cloth seats. Bodywork is very good and Moby runs and starts fantastically and is a pleasure to drive.
She wanted a vintage Volvo and I found this one locally about eighteen months ago, he had covered only 78,000 miles at the time and we have added probably only another 4000 to that including a 1200 mile holiday road trip. I fully serviced him after purchase, and he came with a new exhaust, battery and stater, and now has an excellent Phillips DAB-CD etc.
He had apparently done a little film work, but shows no signs of arrogance because of it!
The only faults are that the speedometer/odometer has just stopped working, along with the fuel gauge. I have checked the sensor on the rear axle and that seems un-coroded, so I think it just needs a gauge pod.

She has decided, after a chest operation, the handbrake is too heavy for her, and is downsizing to just one car (a modern one, also selling her MX5 ).
The garage have offered her £350 part ex, after which Moby would surely go for scrap. He is far too good for that, and if I had space and use for him I would snap him up, but I don't sadly. He is taxed until the end of Jan and MOT'd until the middle of next year (passed without any faults this year again).
Moby really is a great car, and just needs a little work to be perfect. She only wants the px price, or there abouts. I have insisted he cannot go for scrap and would do an enthusiast proud. I will miss him.
Please contact me via the forum, Moby can be viewed in Sudbury.
moby740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moby740 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 20:01   #2
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Smile

Moby sounds good and hopefully a new owner is found here, many thanks for offering it on this forum.

Weirdly I'm interested in the MX5 is it still for sale and any info would be nice.

Kindest regards

Raz
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 20:34   #3
FUPU740

Default Is the Volvo still available?

Hi, if this is the earlier shape before the facelift I'm interested and can view this weekend. Please message back.
Thanks,
Steve
FUPU740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 23:42   #4
moby740

Hello,
Sorry I have tried to reply to both of you privately but as a new member cannot until I have 30 posts apparently.
To answer both questions, yes the MX5 is still available but is due to be PX'd this weekend. It is a 2000, X-prefix, in silver. Not in perfect condition but drives spot on. The price would be £800 as that is the PX, although she would much rather it went to a loving home.
Moby is I believe a facelift model, without the deep front spoiler.
I hope that helps and thanks for the interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to moby740 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 08:06   #5
FossilFish
Thank fossils for fuel!

Thumbs up

Many thanks for the reply, I have been wanting to replace a mk1 mx5 (I'm a sucker for pop up lights) so I'll pass on the mazda.

Hopefully you get the barge sold soon.

Good luck and hope I'll see Moby on here soon.

Kindest regards

Raz
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 15:16   #6
FUPU740

Is it ok to view the car tomorrow? If you could ring/txt me on 07585594586 we can organise a time.
Many thanks, Steve
FUPU740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 21:22   #7
kuko

Is that 740 still for sale. Can u send me some pic to zuzicdusan@gmail.com
Till when is mot, thank you
kuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 22:27   #8
GaryS40
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby740 View Post
My girlfriend is sadly looking to sell her lovely old 740 Estate,Moby. He is in really nice condition and will last for many more years yet. It is a 2.3 manual, in blue. No rust, interior is fantastic and apart from the usual very small cracks on the dashboard and two broken front door bins (like that when we brought it, still work and could be repaired or replaced) and scrubs up like new with lovely grey cloth seats. Bodywork is very good and Moby runs and starts fantastically and is a pleasure to drive.
She wanted a vintage Volvo and I found this one locally about eighteen months ago, he had covered only 78,000 miles at the time and we have added probably only another 4000 to that including a 1200 mile holiday road trip. I fully serviced him after purchase, and he came with a new exhaust, battery and stater, and now has an excellent Phillips DAB-CD etc.
He had apparently done a little film work, but shows no signs of arrogance because of it!
The only faults are that the speedometer/odometer has just stopped working, along with the fuel gauge. I have checked the sensor on the rear axle and that seems un-coroded, so I think it just needs a gauge pod.

She has decided, after a chest operation, the handbrake is too heavy for her, and is downsizing to just one car (a modern one, also selling her MX5 ).
The garage have offered her £350 part ex, after which Moby would surely go for scrap. He is far too good for that, and if I had space and use for him I would snap him up, but I don't sadly. He is taxed until the end of Jan and MOT'd until the middle of next year (passed without any faults this year again).
Moby really is a great car, and just needs a little work to be perfect. She only wants the px price, or there abouts. I have insisted he cannot go for scrap and would do an enthusiast proud. I will miss him.
Please contact me via the forum, Moby can be viewed in Sudbury.
Photos of interior, exterior and engine bay would be advantageous to the quick sale of Moby.

Gary
Mod's so far: Orpheus alloys, 10.1" android multimedia head unit, Nappa leather rebuilt, wood trimmed m/function steering wheel, Polestar blue and black calipers, Pipe Dynamics custom turbo back stainless steel exhaust, with 200 cell sports cat, R engine and injector rail covers, tinted rear windows.
Previous cars:
1982 760 GLE saloon
1989 740 GLE estate
1991 440 S
2003 S40 S - Gone but not forgotten. ☹
16 non Volvos.
GaryS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 20:53   #9
mrdave2003
Premier Member

Are you in Sudbury Suffolk? IF so I'm only just up the road in Long Melford! What colour is Moby, I wonder if I have seen it around?

I had one of these (although a 1987) for several years, great cars. I'm half tempted to come and have a look but I know the wife will not be impressed at all!

As above, some pics would help the sale.

I hope it goes to a good home where it will be looked after
mrdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 21:30   #10
moby740

Default Moby sold!

Sorry folks, I don't get on me compooter much. Moby has now gone to a great new home and will hopefully be terrorizing modern cars for many years to come.

Thanks for all the interest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moby740 For This Useful Post: