Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help. Cannot remove dead front ABS sensor.

Views : 5161

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 21:29   #1
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Help. Cannot remove dead front ABS sensor.

1992, 940 estate, 2.0 Litre, petrol with ABS.
Problem 1. Dead sensor on front right side. New replacement obtained. Cannot remove the dead one as it is seized solidly in the front hub steering arm.
Problem 2. The FAQs refer to an "O" ring in the sensor location which establishes the correct clearance between the sensor tip and the pulse ring. The replacement Bosch sensor is supplied with an "O" ring fitted to it's outer end near it's plastic moulding. I thought that that was the one referred to in the FAQs, but it isn't. There are the remains of an "O" ring in the steering arm locating hole.
Question: Does anyone know the precise dimensions of that "O" ring? I have a selection box of assorted "O" rings but I'm not sure which size to use.
Re problem 1: The allen bolt removal was quite easy, taking into account that it has probably been in there for 23 years. I tried removing the sensor by twisting but the plastic moulding snapped off. I've tried drifting the sensor body from the steering arm but the thin soft sensor casing has simply collapsed. That was when I found the remains of the other "O" ring.
The steering arm appears to be part of the hub carrier casting which is part of the suspension strut so any bench work would appear to require the removal of the suspension strut.
Does anyone have any experience of this and any suggestions please?
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 07:57   #2
Volvanman
Slewmeister...

I'm no expert, but have had the very same problem. I hadn't read the FAQS, & so was unaware of the o ring, but perhaps in my case ignorance was bliss!

Removing the old sensors for me was getting brutal with a drill. I was very careful whilst drilling not to damage the hole, and the more of the old sensor you remove, the easier the rest comes out. It is time consuming, and it's not a perfect job, but it worked for me. The new sensor fitted in ok, and all has been well since.

There will hopefully be others on here with far better plans of attack - but that's what I did - hope you get it sorted...

97 940 HPT, 25mm H&R spacers, Tethys alloys - 225/45 rear & 215/45 front, slotted discs all round & EBC Yellowstuff pads, MBC @ 14psi, 19t, blue injectors, 3" turbo back single silencer system... 96 960 3.0 Auto
Volvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Volvanman For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 19:44   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

I had to replace one and experienced exactly the same issues. Since I didn't, and still don't, possess a 10mm hex socket to remove the calliper bracket I was also seriously limited by the amount of space obtainable by just loosening but not removing the front disc.

My extraction method basically involved breaking up the old sensor with a screwdriver and fetching it out in bits. My installation of the new sensor involved applying a smear of grease and then lining it up correctly and hammering it into the hole with a wooden mallet. This all worked and resolved the intermittent ABS fault.

With hindsight, what I would do differently now would be to remove the calliper and disc properly and clean out the hole with a dremel or similar before installing the replacement.

I infer from the success of my original method that the tolerances are not too fine for the successful installation of a new sensor. Either that or I got lucky.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 23:26   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Thanks Guys.

It doesn't help the actual problem but it is good to know that I'm not the only one who has butchered the old sensor and retrieved it in small pieces.
I haven't had a chance to do anything today due to family commitments (apart from give it another dose of Plusgas) but I had more or less decided to adopt the drill out method. I have also considered using a drift fractionally less in diameter than the hole in the steering arm in an attempt to break the grip. Then use a nut and bolt, suitably sized washers and a piece of tubing as a form of puller, but that is just an idea at this stage.
Jerry, did you use a small diameter drill bit to attempt to "cut" down one side or a larger diameter to just "grind" it out? I suspect that the drill bit will tend to follow the softer metal of the sensor.
Forrest, I'm very surprised that the new sensor survived the hammering. I agree regarding the "dremel" as I have considered similar when I eventually get the so an so out of the steering arm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 21:20   #5
Forrest
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I'm very surprised that the new sensor survived the hammering.
Well said. There's someone on here who has in their footer "if you can't fix it with a hammer then it's an electrical fault" and that just asks to be proved wrong! I reasoned that the sensor and plastic back would be quite strong in compression. It's twisting that yanks that plastic bit off. The sensor itself is a fairly simple magnetic device so not too much to break really. I think the usual failure mode is the connecting wire wearing out under the insulation.
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 23:48   #6
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Progress Report and Queries.

Well I've finally managed to remove the old sensor. The idea with a drift from the inboard side to break the grip didn't even move it. Similarly the idea with the makeshift puller so I resorted to the drilling method. Drilled out what I could working from the inboard end. No finesse involved as difficult to line up the drill properly. The drilling eventually broke up the remains of the plastic moulding of the sensor and I pulled the pieces of it out with snipe nose pliers. It seems that it was the main cause of not being able to drift out the main body of the sensor as once it was removed the other remains drifted out quite easily working from the wheel hub side. It was impossible to insert the new sensor into the steering arm hole due to the corrosion so I removed as much as I could with my cheap "Dremel" imitation tool fitted with an appropriate sized emery drum grinder until the new sensor was a gentle push fit. After removing the corrosion I could see that the hole through the steering arm is not a constant diameter. About half the length at the inboard end is the same diameter as the sensor body.(as one would expect.) But then the diameter increases by a few millimeters. Then the final few mls. of the hole (the outer or hub end) reverts back to the same diameter as the inboard half of the hole. This means that there is a "step" in the bore of the hole. It was against that step that I found the remains of an "O" ring when I first started my attempts to remove the old sensor. I had managed to retrieve about 3/4 of that "O" ring so I found the nearest match from my selection box. I tried fitting it in the obvious position (in the larger bore area against the step) but that prevented the sensor body from locating fully into the hole. (The plastic end and it's fitted "O" ring were not fully seated into the hole.) Simply fitting the outer "O" ring into the outer end of the hole would serve no useful purpose at all and it would simply fall out. The only method which seemed to work was to install the sensor almost completely then manouvre the "O" ring around the outer end of the sensor body then push the sensor fully home. But I do not understand why that should be necessary. I haven't finally installed the sensor as I thought I would give this some more thought and post this update to tempt any responses.

Last edited by Ian21401; Jun 27th, 2015 at 23:50.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 16:30   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Final Update

Sorry for the long delay in finalising this thread but I've had several other issues to deal with.
I installed the new sensor as described above with the outer "O" ring manoeuvred around the outer end of the sensor body. The ABS warning light does not now illuminate to indicate a fault so it would appear that the problem is sorted. I noticed when inspecting the remains of the old sensor and the other debris which I had removed from the steering arm that there appeared to be the remains of three "O" rings. As previously stated, the location of one "O" ring is known but I've no idea where the other two were fitted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 21:46   #8
Forrest
VOC Member

Sounds like you fixed it. It's worth double-checking that your ABS light illuminates with the ignition and then goes out again. I once spent ages chasing an ABS fault that was combined with an intermittent ABS lamp fault.

The best way I found to test the functional operation of the ABS was to deliberately brake hard on a grass surface. You can induce a skid without scrubbing your tyres.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2015, 09:54   #9
Mark 1

Thanks Ian, Volvoman and Forrest for the info - more or less came same conclusion to drill it out, just didn't want to go too far without second/third opions!!
Many thanks Mark
Mark 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 20:44   #10
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default ABS light on permanent

hi all
i will hopefully soon be doing this job to fix my ABS problem .
ive done the fault find with the on board fault finder it flashes
1-5-2 which indicates front right abs sensor fault .
i have ordered 1 of ebay less than £20 BRAND lexmark
so just hope i can perform the job ok
i will remove calliper and brake disc . i have various drills but no dremel
wish me luck !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post: