Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 Coolant Leak

Views : 2827

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2016, 21:28   #11
Phandy

Hi, yes I am pretty confident with the radiator replacement.

I agree with you on the Haynes Manuals. I have often followed their instructions and diagrams to the letter, preparing days in advance with the right parts and tools, only to be presented on the day, with engine parts and bolts that aren't even mentioned in the manual, let alone included in any of the diagrams.

Retired: Volvo S60 2003 2.O T
Phandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phandy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 21:53   #12
Jebus
VOC Member

Best of luck getting the job done, usual tips apply always try to use decent tools, take your time and if you start to struggle with anything take a step back, grab a cuppa, smoke what ever and then go again. 99% of the times I have ever had problems working on my cars or anything else for that matter is trying to rush something and going a bit gun-ho
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 14:35   #13
Phandy

In my hast to diagnose a radiator leak and purchase a new radiator, it turns out my radiator is perfectly fine.

The leak was oil and was coming from the Automatic gearbox and I need a new Oil cooler radiator.

My v40 is now stranded at a garage as replacing that is beyond what I can do.

When the car was up on stilts at the garage the oil was literally forming a puddle on the floor. I would have soon run at of oil and wrecked the gearbox if it had gone on for much longer.

Shame the Sport 'trim' inner spoiler was catching the dripping oil or else I would have seen a patch develop under my car where I park.

The part and labor was quoted at 500. At a week old I had to seriously consider whether to ditch the car. I only got rid of my S60 a week ago as it needed a 400 repair bill.

In the end, I found second hand part on ebay for 80 and it is being delivered to the garage tomorrow. Part number: 30652176. If anyone is curious. An OEM part from Germany is almost 300:

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...x-oil/1036433/

I shudder to think what Volvo would charge.

This update is serves that fluid collecting under a radiator is not always a coolant leak. I should have reached down and tasted the liquid in hindsight

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 17:05   #14
druid
V40 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phandy View Post
In my hast to diagnose a radiator leak and purchase a new radiator, it turns out my radiator is perfectly fine.

The leak was oil and was coming from the Automatic gearbox and I need a new Oil cooler radiator.

My v40 is now stranded at a garage as replacing that is beyond what I can do.

When the car was up on stilts at the garage the oil was literally forming a puddle on the floor. I would have soon run at of oil and wrecked the gearbox if it had gone on for much longer.

Shame the Sport 'trim' inner spoiler was catching the dripping oil or else I would have seen a patch develop under my car where I park.

The part and labor was quoted at 500. At a week old I had to seriously consider whether to ditch the car. I only got rid of my S60 a week ago as it needed a 400 repair bill.

In the end, I found second hand part on ebay for 80 and it is being delivered to the garage tomorrow. Part number: 30652176. If anyone is curious. An OEM part from Germany is almost 300:

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...x-oil/1036433/

I shudder to think what Volvo would charge.

This update is serves that fluid collecting under a radiator is not always a coolant leak. I should have reached down and tasted the liquid in hindsight
Happy for you in a strange sort of way!
Gotta say, smell not taste , antifreze can be poisonous (ok a bit wont hurt) and even if your all blocked up touch. Oil feels totally different to water between your fingers.

Oh my god (or deity of your preference) i'm getting like skyship

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 17:21   #15
Phandy

Hi Druid, yes...I should probably not do a taste test . My coolant level had decreased a bit and I saw liquid under the radiator and put two and two together.

I should have investigated a bit further. It was not until i had taken the radiator out of the car, looked at it, then looked at the fluid a bit closer that I realised it was not coolant.

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 18:56   #16
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Where is the coolant going then?

It does go up and down a bit admittedly but when cold and on level ground then obviously it should be the same day to day.

Mine seems to have more in it than I remember but I may have topped it up at some point and forgotten about it.
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 19:08   #17
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
As a motorcyclist, I disagree.
I like how many cars can no longer dump oil all over the road.
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 19:25   #18
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
For reference there is no such thing as a 'Sport' inner spoiler. All X40's have a full width undertray bolted to the rear of the front bumper, no matter what the trim level is. If the car has been cherished and looked after there will also be an engine tray covering the bottom of the engine. One tray on the p1 and two half trays on the p2.

Any difference in bumper trim/splitter is attached to the bumper itself.

Sorry to hear of your mis-diagnosis, easy done. We have all been there, done that, got the t shirt, at some time. Sound advice from others though.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 19:39   #19
Phandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
Where is the coolant going then?

It does go up and down a bit admittedly but when cold and on level ground then obviously it should be the same day to day.

Mine seems to have more in it than I remember but I may have topped it up at some point and forgotten about it.
When I get the car back I will have to keep an eye on the coolant level, as I have no idea where it went. They conducted a pressure test and it passed, so I am stumped.

Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 19:40   #20
Phandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
As a motorcyclist, I disagree.
I like how many cars can no longer dump oil all over the road.
Hi Cheshire - how have you been? Good point, I did not think of it that way.