Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Well I Never .....

Views : 993

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2020, 21:02   #1
bob12
bob12

Default Well I Never .....

Thinking about the MOT for the '90 745 this coming Thursday I thought I had better sort out a little problem with the all the windscreen and tailgate etc., washers I mention recently in some post or other. They were not working.

Although the tank was always topped up to half way up the filler neck no screen wash coming through at all even after disconnecting the pipework below the bonnet jets but the pump was working (and there's the clue!!). I had completely cleaned out the system 2/3 years ago when taking out the air filter box to fit a new air thermostat.

Anyway, I took out the filter box etc and then the wash tank - all very simple. I separated the filler neck and after unplugging the pumps lifted out the tank. Oooh, thinks ... that's very light having expected to slosh water everywhere.

Once the tank was out I found there was not a drop of water in it! I then looked at the removable filter fitted into the mouth of the tank where the filler neck connects. While the tank was virtually clean the filter was completely clogged up with a black sticky gungy residue which was preventing any screen wash water going into the tank!

It took quite some effort to clean the slimy filter with copious amounts of oxy-clean in hot water.

So the moral ... always check the filter first!

I have now changed from a cheap screen was to Prestone Max.

Cheers, Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Washer Filter 1.jpg (66.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Washer Filter 2.jpg (87.9 KB, 43 views)
bob12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 01:01   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I did a complete stripdown, wash/clean etc of the whole shooting match on mine a few years ago Bob for a similar reason. Rubbed silicone grease into the rubber parts once i'd ashed them to restore their flexibility so they actually sealed then rebuilt and refitted it all.
Also i've added a separate washer pump (ex-Rover 800) for the headlamp washers as well so the front wash pump now only has to supply the front jets which are S/V40 fan/mist jets.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2020, 18:47   #3
bob12
bob12

For amusement and, a haze of blue air above the bonnet, there is nothing like doing a job twice!

Re-assembled the lot and later put the battery back having taken the opportunity to max. out a long charging.

Is there no justice .... pump humming but no water at the xxx windscreen!! Thinks .... try the tailgate wash wipe button ... instantly water on the windscreen!!

Yea, yea .... plugged the pumps in round the wrong way as they are the same fitting although a different coulour. I was sure I had them round the right way.

Oh well, that's another 30 mins wasted on a Sunday afternoon stripping out the air filter box again to attack the pump plugs. At least all is fine now.

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 05:04   #4
c1800
Master Member

Good luck with the MOT!
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 07:23   #5
dingov70
Master Member

Algae growth is very common in washer systems , I have been adding half a tea spoon of disinfectant every other fill . I noticed the increase in this problem when they began by using less methanol in the mixture .

Just for giggles I use a Zoflora mandarin & lime so there is nice smell not hospital smell !
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 09:35   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Algae growth is very common in washer systems , I have been adding half a tea spoon of disinfectant every other fill . I noticed the increase in this problem when they began by using less methanol in the mixture .

Just for giggles I use a Zoflora mandarin & lime so there is nice smell not hospital smell !
Very useful info!

The Zoflora trick reminds me of the MoT retest after a Lambda sensor failed during the emissions test. The CO shot up to 9+% (when the teter pulled the sample pipe out of the tailpipes) so armed with a failure sheet, i went home, ordered 2 new Lambdas and a cat gasket set.

Loosened the Lambdas while it was still hot then removed the cat and gave it a good overnight soak in hot water with 6 lemon dishwasher tablets. Rinsed it through with the garden hose after, dried it all and painted the outside then refitted with the new Lambdas.

During the test, the tester kept muttering "Why can i smell lemons?"

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 12:31   #7
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post

I never had a problem with algae in the tank for 28 years.

2/3 years ago the original oem VDO windscreen etc pump died. Although not really dirty I took the opportunity to clean the tank whilst I had it out to replace the pump.

Now this year the tank was still more or less clean but there was a black algae growth completely blocking the filter which prevented filling the tank and also gave the illusion the tank was full when water backed up the filler neck.

I am going to see how I get on with the Prestone Extreme screenwash but, will bear in mind your Zoflora tip.

Cheers, Bob
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 16:53   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

It's amazing how much difference that small percentage of meths/methanol makes in the washer fluid.Bob!

Maybe Zoflora/Dettol/Flash or similar added to the washer fluid will help, i know i added some Flash multisurface cleaner to a plain water fill to see if it would help - seems to have done but i'm using an ECP own brand screenwash at the moment, so far, so good. Only been using it a few months though so can't be 100% certain yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 18:09   #9
TonyS9
Premier Member

Found a similar problem in mine, used Milton baby seriliser fluid to clean it, came up a treat.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 18:43   #10
bob12
bob12

Yes Tony, I think it's a modern problem with modern mix cheapo Supermarket etc., screenwash that I have always used.

It was OK until a couple or so years ago when I started to suffer from blocked jets (very painful!) and then I noticed that many 'floaters' (!!) developed in my top-up bottle that I kept stored in shade in the garage.

With hindsight I am sure the very fine mesh of the filter caught the bits where they multiplied over a couple of years!! It's all to do with introduction of environmently friendly ingredients.

Maybe the relatively expensive Prestone Extreme I have bought will be better.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 18:57.