Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent starting problem.

Views : 516

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2020, 15:16   #1
mrredwards

Default Intermittent starting problem.

Hi.Volvo 240.It normal starts first time.New Battery Starter Motor.occasionally it will not start leave it for 15 minutes and it will start and run.Checked and cleaned all the earth.If i take a live feed to the solenoid it starts..Where can i find Service socket for cranking engine???.Any help i would appreciate.Regards Ron.
mrredwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2020, 13:50   #2
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredwards View Post
Hi.Volvo 240.It normal starts first time.New Battery Starter Motor.occasionally it will not start leave it for 15 minutes and it will start and run.Checked and cleaned all the earth.If i take a live feed to the solenoid it starts..Where can i find Service socket for cranking engine???.Any help i would appreciate.Regards Ron.
Hi Ron,

Okay, slow down a bit: take this problem one step at a time. I'm guessing you mean that the starter doesn't turn at all, not that it turns but the engine doesn't fire up?

a. First check the battery is at 13.6v (I know it is new, check anyway, if is cheap and easy). This is sometimes the problem.

b. Try shorting across the solenoid contacts next time it won't start: if that works and the starter engages then the solenoid is at fault (so change it). This is often the problem, you might also try tapping the solenoid (with a screwdriver or similar), if it is on the verge of failing that sometimes is enough to get it moving.

c. If neither of those works ensure you are getting power from the battery to the solenoid (the big wire that goes direct)...

d... and that the switched live to the signal side of the solenoid is getting power (if not then the issue is probably the ignition switch or the wiring between).

I'n not sure what you mean by a service socket for cranking the engine - what is it you are looking for?

Just be methodical the next time the problem occurs and you should be able to work out what is causing it.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 14th, 2020 at 13:56. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 07:59   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I agree. You have already done the most important test, and confirmed that the engine won't turn using the key but will if you take a direct feed to the solenoid.

Do you mean a direct feed to activate the solenoid, or a direct feed of the heavy cable to the starter motor terminal to bypass the solenoid?

If the first, then the fault must be a faulty ignition switch (starter position), or wire from switch to the solenoid.
If the second, then it must be a faulty solenoid.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 09:04   #4
mrredwards

Default Intermittent Starting Problem.

Good Morning.Thanks for your time and effort in replying to my wiring problem.I have traced the wiring from the ignition switch No50 Blue and Yellow wire goes to a junction box and then straight to the solenoid.(Tried a different ignition switch).If i short the main battery terminal to the solenoid it starts.I think its the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid.Bit of a problem to solve.Luckily i have my Triumph TR6 and a Maxda MX5.I have had the 240 for 13 years and still enjoy it.Bad day yesterday i nurtured 25 sweetcorns from seed on my allotment watered them every day in that heat.Went down yesterday to pick one for my dinner a Badger got into my cage and ate the lot.Well thats gardening for you.Regards Ron.
mrredwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 13:58   #5
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrredwards View Post
Good Morning.Thanks for your time and effort in replying to my wiring problem.I have traced the wiring from the ignition switch No50 Blue and Yellow wire goes to a junction box and then straight to the solenoid.(Tried a different ignition switch).If i short the main battery terminal to the solenoid it starts.I think its the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid.Bit of a problem to solve.Luckily i have my Triumph TR6 and a Maxda MX5.I have had the 240 for 13 years and still enjoy it.Bad day yesterday i nurtured 25 sweetcorns from seed on my allotment watered them every day in that heat.Went down yesterday to pick one for my dinner a Badger got into my cage and ate the lot.Well thats gardening for you.Regards Ron.
The insulation on the wiring loom for the 1980s cars is pretty poor quality - as the fault is intermittent it might be earthing out somewhere on the way between the switch and the solenoid. Heat in the engine bay seems to affect the insulation badly, particularly around the 8 way connector box that clips onto the bulkhead.
I made a new loom for the engine compartment (there are only 7 wires, so it isn't all that difficult) which has completely solved the issues I'd had with the instruments.
I'm sorry to hear about your allotment problem, but as you say: that is gardening.
Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote