Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Locking camshafts on a D5 163

Views : 4696

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2015, 09:30   #1
S60D5185

Default Locking camshafts on a D5 163

Hi
I have a 2004 xc90 with the 163bhp D5. I'm intending to replace the cambelt and water pump this weekend but have noticed some oil on the camshaft oil seal behind the pulley. In order to lock the camshaft and remove the pulley to fit a new oil seal I understand that the camshaft needs locking, the question is whereabouts is it locked and what does the tool look like ?
Thanks
S60D5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 11:20   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5185 View Post
Hi
I have a 2004 xc90 with the 163bhp D5. I'm intending to replace the cambelt and water pump this weekend but have noticed some oil on the camshaft oil seal behind the pulley. In order to lock the camshaft and remove the pulley to fit a new oil seal I understand that the camshaft needs locking, the question is whereabouts is it locked and what does the tool look like ?
Thanks
You remove the Vacuum pump on the end of the exhaust camshaft and there is a hole in the bearing cap a pin goes in which locates in a hole on the drive gear but the pin is stepped , it may be a 10mm hole in the drive gear and a 12mm in the bearing cap ??

I would leave the water pump alone as long as it spins smoothly with no sign of leaks especially if you intend fitting a non volvo one ! These are top quality items and never give trouble for obvious reasons .I have never come across a faulty one in 25 years since these pumps came out on the 960 .
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 11:49   #3
S60D5185

Hi
Unfortunately the leaking water pump is the only reason for removing the timing cover !
The cambelt and water pump are about 4 years and 12000 miles old. However I think the leak is from the water pump gasket rather than the little hole. My local indi reckons the oil around the camshaft sprocket is probably from the bridge over the camshaft (behind the sprocket) rather than the oil seal which is a much bigger job.

If changing the cambelt doesn't require pinning the timing, why does removing the sprocket require it ?
Many thanks

Last edited by S60D5185; Dec 12th, 2015 at 11:52.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 14:52   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi
Unfortunately the leaking water pump is the only reason for removing the timing cover !
The cambelt and water pump are about 4 years and 12000 miles old. However I think the leak is from the water pump gasket rather than the little hole. My local indi reckons the oil around the camshaft sprocket is probably from the bridge over the camshaft (behind the sprocket) rather than the oil seal which is a much bigger job.

If changing the cambelt doesn't require pinning the timing, why does removing the sprocket require it ?
Many thanks
first time for everything ! You should contact a volvo dealer there must be some kind of help available at such a low mileage and age with two problems like this .
The sprocket has a vernier adjustment , when you slacken the 4 bolts you can turn the pulley back and forth. So once the bolts are loose you have lost the exact timing.
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 15:26   #5
S60D5185

To clarify, the belt and water pump are non genuine parts, fitted before I bought the car (2005 model 120k now).

Just to help me understand, how does pinning/locking the camshaft at the air pump end effect the vernier effect of the sprocket ? Even if the camshaft is pinned it doesn't stop the sprocket being refitted a few degrees out. Can't the sprocket bolt locations just be marked on the pulley wheel ?
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 15:36   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
To clarify, the belt and water pump are non genuine parts, fitted before I bought the car (2005 model 120k now).

Just to help me understand, how does pinning/locking the camshaft at the air pump end effect the vernier effect of the sprocket ? Even if the camshaft is pinned it doesn't stop the sprocket being refitted a few degrees out. Can't the sprocket bolt locations just be marked on the pulley wheel ?
i see , well best get rid of those parts , The volvo pump still has a 100% reputation with me now then :-)

once you slacken and move the pulley you have lost the EXACT timing , Camshaft timing is very sensitive to even a couple of degrees out which is not measurable by eye .
Once the camshaft is pinned it is in the CORRECT place relative to the crankshaft which should still be lined up and not moved in this process .

You then fit the belt and tension it BEFORE you tighten the cam sprocket and lock the timing into the correct place .
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 15:47   #7
S60D5185

Hi thanks for your time explaining, I understand the process better now, but how is the exact timing established in terms of the camshaft sprocket (obviously at this point the camshaft/crank relationship would be correct) ?
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 16:48   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi thanks for your time explaining, I understand the process better now, but how is the exact timing established in terms of the camshaft sprocket (obviously at this point the camshaft/crank relationship would be correct) ?
* It makes no difference where the cam sprocket is as long as the camshaft is locked in the correct place and the crankshaft is in the correct place and the tension is on the belt , The two shaft will be in the correct place in relationship to each other and the belt slack will be taken up so the two shafts will rotate in relationship as soon as you tighten the cam pulley .

To be 100% perfect You should lock the crankshaft in the correct place too , there is a hole behind the starter motor where you insert a special tool to position the crankshaft 100% correctly .
But assuming the timing is correct before you dismantle then as long as you put the cam locking tool in before you dismantle anything the crank should not move ... That is why you should slacken the crank pulley Nut and 4 bolts first so that you can remove them without disturbing the crank shaft .

so you see with a slight inaccuracy at the crankshaft mark and a guess with the camshaft there would be 2 inaccuracies which would sure to find the cam timing out to some extent .

* It is always good practice when refitting the cam pulley to get the scribed timing mark as near the mark in the casing as you can ( to the nearest tooth ) because all that does is to make it easier for the next person who does the job , sometimes you cant get the scribed mark to line up so when you have used both locking tools and therefore have the timing 100% correct you scribe your own line on the sprocket as the last part of the job .
Old Dec 12th, 2015, 18:27   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

Do you know what make the water pump is ? At a guess it replaced a perfectly good oem pump about two years ago with the timing belt to save labour - the usual.
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2015, 18:55   #10
JohnL

Once you have locked the camshafts at the rear with the locking pin, fit the drive sprocket and align the marks on it to the mark on the backing plate to the timing cover, then you wont have take the pump off the back to put the timing pin in again.
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote