Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025271

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 1st, 2020, 09:55   #1671
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
Othen the last I knew[although I've never owned an LPG car]you can in fact on some cars at least get a £10 per year reduction in the VED. and you can indeed convert a carburettor car to LPG and I believe it costs less than doing a fuel injected one.
Good morn,
Many thanks - as Dave mentioned below the VED part isn't significant as the RB becomes tax free on 1 April next year.
Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 1st, 2020 at 10:57.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 10:07   #1672
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The COP-II regs state a "competent person" should do the installation Alan. The COP-II regs state about 90% of how to do it, add in 10% common sense and you're pretty much there.
No idea how long it's going to take, my Coupe took about 3 weeks but that was a basic mixer system that you could use on yours, albeit with slightly different components. All in, i think it's going to cost me about £300 with the tank, ECU/loom, reducer (as distinct from a vapouriser that i used on my Coupe and you would use on yours), pipework and other associated sundries. That's mainly using secondhand kit but some parts are new, the pipework to/from the tank, filler etc.

However, because yours is a single carb, you could go new for a similar amount :

https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-ki...e-carburettor/

Obviously you'd need the tank and filler as well and a mixer between the air filter and carb. I seem to recall you're thinking of the twin choke Weber conversion - that's easier to find a mixer for than the Pierburg carb you have.

https://tinleytech.co.uk/product-cat...ction-systems/

There are other suppliers but Tinley isn't far from you and they are very helpful, even if you phone them up on the off-chance. Given the minimal cost of a new front end kit for yours and some parts you'll have to buy new anyway (e.g. mixer), i'd suggest you may as well go for a new set up and a bit of a project for you. If you can find some secondhand kit you may be able to pick up a bargain.

This explains a bit more, primarily intended for the older Amazon Volvos, a lot of it is still relevant but there are certain things "lost in translation".

https://www.scandcar.com/lpg-in-volvo/

Gives you some food for thought though! It's also a "period modification" so i seriously doubt any problems with the DVLA, after all it's a conversion to dual-fuel, not entirely changing the fuel. You still need to start on petrol and run on it until the engine has warmed up a bit, usually about a mile tops.
Excellent Dave,

That will be a little light reading for me later on today.

I am really interested in this, particularly if a dual fuel conversion could be achieved for something like £300. I only drive about 3,000 miles/year in the RB, that is about 125 gallons of Morrison's very cheapest costing around £600, so if I reduced that to £400/year by using LPG at £0.60/litre that would pay for itself in a year or so and be an interesting project at the same time. As you mention, it would be a period modification and so not detract from the RB as many drivers will have done the same to similar cars over the past 40 years.

I may start planning this conversion for soon after 1 April (that is get the RB registered legally as an historic car first - I don't trust the civil servants at Swansea). I'll look through the links and make a shopping list. Perhaps I might combine this with a 4 speed AW71 gearbox at much the same time (again after getting the RB legally re-registered).

That is fascinating Dave - I'll look forward to hearing about your project and use your guidance for my own. This is very exciting!

Alan
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 11:16   #1673
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

See my links on the bits needed to convert his B21A, not exhaustive and there are several bits i haven't listed but those are general bits and would be needed whether injection or carb. Then if you feel like it, compare the cost of similar bits for converting EFi cars.

Thinking about it i don't think i included a vapouriser in the list so may have to revisit that later.
I looked through the first two links Dave - it would seem the front and rear end kits are both around the £200 mark each - but I'm in no hurry so I might be able to find some of the parts secondhand. Even at £400ish it would be worthwhile and would pay for itself in 2 years.

Alan
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 12:42   #1674
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I looked through the first two links Dave - it would seem the front and rear end kits are both around the £200 mark each - but I'm in no hurry so I might be able to find some of the parts secondhand. Even at £400ish it would be worthwhile and would pay for itself in 2 years.

Alan
There are plenty of secondhand options arond Alan, one of your biggest decisions will be the type of tank you want. The two basic types are the cylinder or toroidal, aka torpedo or donut.
The donut lives in the spare wheel well and the torpedo would likely be mounted between the wheel arches in the boot.
Personally the donut type is better but each to their own.

Then there's the filler. If you have a towbar, you can get a towbar mounting plate for the filler, otherwise you'll have to either cut a hole in the body or make a bracket to mount it under the bumper somewhere.

As for the front end kit, i haven't looked through the Tinley front end kit to see what is included but a few other options :

https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/europegas-...mmable-switch/

Picked that one for ease of programming/fitting and use. Obviously you need the fuel and gas solenoids as well plus a vapouriser and mixer. These all come in one kit (except the mixer) with this item :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovato-LP...W/223170402005

There are links on the switch to show installation diagrams and instructions, have a read through even if you decide that's not the one for you as it will give you an idea of things you'll need to know.

Find yourself a good used tank on fleabay and you're nearly there!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toroidal-...r/402379690704

One suggestion there but a bit far for collection! Comes with the multivalve and gas-tight lid, then it's the pipework and filler and you're pretty much there.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 14:24   #1675
Bugjam1999
Master Member

A friend of mine has a 1978 244 (B21 with a single carb) with an LPG system fitted- he has a torpedo shaped tank in the front of the boot area, which he says isn't an area of the boot he previously used very much.

If you're interested I can get some photos of the installation for you.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 19:59   #1676
Dippydog
Premier Member

I'm not in any way knocking the idea of going LPG but I have read on other forums that quite a lot of filling stations now seem to be stopping selling LPG,so before "splashing the cash" it might be an idea to check availability in the area[s] you're likely to be driving in.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 20:28   #1677
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I'm not in any way knocking the idea of going LPG but I have read on other forums that quite a lot of filling stations now seem to be stopping selling LPG,so before "splashing the cash" it might be an idea to check availability in the area[s] you're likely to be driving in.
That is a very good point and in fact i had already checked it out - Morrisons at Wellingborough, was 56.9p/L erlier when i checked but t'internet is on a go-slow tonight and won't load the map :

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

If more people start using it then there's less chance of a decline in the number of stations selling it. Also Calor Gas Depots sell it and some other unexpected places.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 19:57   #1678
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That is a very good point and in fact i had already checked it out - Morrisons at Wellingborough, was 56.9p/L erlier when i checked but t'internet is on a go-slow tonight and won't load the map :

https://www.filllpg.co.uk/index.php?page=lpg.php

If more people start using it then there's less chance of a decline in the number of stations selling it. Also Calor Gas Depots sell it and some other unexpected places.
I couldn’t get that link to work properly Dave, but I did a local search and have found a gas depot here in Corby that sells direct to the automobile market. For the way I use the RB that would be fine, the longest journey I can envisage would be to King’s Lynn (60 miles each way); also I’m guessing one could just revert to running on petrol if the LPG runs a bit low?

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress with the conversion, this could become another interesting development for the RB.

Alan
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 22:10   #1679
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I couldn’t get that link to work properly Dave, but I did a local search and have found a gas depot here in Corby that sells direct to the automobile market. For the way I use the RB that would be fine, the longest journey I can envisage would be to King’s Lynn (60 miles each way); also I’m guessing one could just revert to running on petrol if the LPG runs a bit low?

I’m looking forward to seeing your progress with the conversion, this could become another interesting development for the RB.

Alan
Link works ok for me Alan, i know Morrions in Kings Lynn sell LPG and the latest price was 55.7p/L @ 20/8/20, do you think it's anything to do with using your Apple products that makes the link dodgy? I know some people hae had that trouble before with it.

If the LPG runs out, it should auto-revert to petrol and show a warning that you're out of gas, certainly the later versions do.

No progress today, was visiting a friend before she goes back to work after a 6 month break.
Maybe tomorrow but a little taster of something i did yesterday, nowhere near finsihed :

Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 06:39   #1680
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Link works ok for me Alan, i know Morrions in Kings Lynn sell LPG and the latest price was 55.7p/L @ 20/8/20, do you think it's anything to do with using your Apple products that makes the link dodgy? I know some people hae had that trouble before with it.

If the LPG runs out, it should auto-revert to petrol and show a warning that you're out of gas, certainly the later versions do.

No progress today, was visiting a friend before she goes back to work after a 6 month break.
Maybe tomorrow but a little taster of something i did yesterday, nowhere near finsihed :

I got the map working after a bit of fiddling Dave - there is a legend box 'LABELS' that has to be turned on.

Alan