Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Any Advice, Part 2!

Views : 46444

Replies : 671

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2020, 22:36   #81
Chris152

I called the tyre place this morning, reported the issue and they took it very seriously, wanted the reference number etc, which I gave them and they're following it up, and very apologetic. I've used the same pace for 10+ years, always been very good and I trust they'll ensure it's a one off. I thought not to bother initially but your comments made me think otherwise.

Loki - I'll definitely be getting the ingredients for L-S's magic potion!

And yes, Alan - it seems to be coming together nicely so far, tho we're taking our time to learn as we go. Plenty still to sort, but we keep taking it for test runs which gradually seem to involve going further and further. :-)
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 06:36   #82
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I called the tyre place this morning, reported the issue and they took it very seriously, wanted the reference number etc, which I gave them and they're following it up, and very apologetic. I've used the same pace for 10+ years, always been very good and I trust they'll ensure it's a one off. I thought not to bother initially but your comments made me think otherwise.

Loki - I'll definitely be getting the ingredients for L-S's magic potion!

And yes, Alan - it seems to be coming together nicely so far, tho we're taking our time to learn as we go. Plenty still to sort, but we keep taking it for test runs which gradually seem to involve going further and further. :-)
Well done Chris, I suspect that was just an isolated incident, maybe the tyre fitter got distracted. All that was needed was a reminder, which the manager will take care of.

LS's WMP does work well, but if you don't normally have ATF and acetone around in your garage it might be a bit unwieldy to mix up in the tiny quantities you will need. You could just get yourself an aerosol can of release oil - I use one called RP90 because it is cheap and works, but there lots of other alternatives, they all work just the same.

Doing lots of test runs in your project car is normal and we have all done that. I probably covered most of the RB's first 1000 miles (with me) on a 5 mile test circuit here in Corby :-). I jest, but it seemed that way at the time.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 8th, 2020 at 06:40. Reason: Addition.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 09:31   #83
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Chris. As someone said re Trading Standards ...

"might depend on how many referrals they receive. So your contribution might be valuable. An instance of doing finger tight and omitting to tighten is very unfortunate indeed. Multiple occurrences of significant mistakes is carelessness. As Lady Bracknell did not say."

If it were me, I'd be thinking, what if for instance a new worker is not as good as they should be, doesn't actually do what the manager or owner specifies. Or some other change in the place. What if a crash is caused. &c.

I will not guess or declaim what the manager will do. Or if they will be obeyed. I would speak to Trading Standards. Just to raise the possible concern. Including your previous excellent experience.
Your call of course.

I'm very glad you found the problem and sorted it.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 06:56   #84
Chris152

I took the car to our local Volvo garage yesterday for a general check over and to see what they thought about a few things.
Apparently the rear suspension mounts are fine, just a little surface rust so we're happy to just keep an eye on that.
The rear shock absorbers are an issue tho - one is self levelling, the other not. So they recommended sorting that, replacing the one that's not self levelling.
They described the power steering pump as getting toward the end of its life (hence the heavy steering I talked about, above), so we need to get a replacement - can anyone recommend the best way to go about that? I've searched online but unsure - should we be looking for used/ refurbished/ new? Can you get them new?!
And at some point it looks like it'll need an in-tank fuel pump, it makes a low whirring noise and misses a little climbing hills and accelerating when the fuel is on the red.
Overall, they described it as a great car, too good for a youngster - I drove home with a smile on my face. :-)

ps When I collected the car, I took out my card to pay and they said no, no charge! I think it was a bit of a trip down memory lane for them, happy days.

Last edited by Chris152; Sep 18th, 2020 at 07:00.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 08:03   #85
Othen
Premier Member

Posted in error.

Last edited by Othen; Sep 18th, 2020 at 08:07.
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 08:05   #86
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I took the car to our local Volvo garage yesterday for a general check over and to see what they thought about a few things.
Apparently the rear suspension mounts are fine, just a little surface rust so we're happy to just keep an eye on that.
The rear shock absorbers are an issue tho - one is self levelling, the other not. So they recommended sorting that, replacing the one that's not self levelling.
They described the power steering pump as getting toward the end of its life (hence the heavy steering I talked about, above), so we need to get a replacement - can anyone recommend the best way to go about that? I've searched online but unsure - should we be looking for used/ refurbished/ new? Can you get them new?!
And at some point it looks like it'll need an in-tank fuel pump, it makes a low whirring noise and misses a little climbing hills and accelerating when the fuel is on the red.
Overall, they described it as a great car, too good for a youngster - I drove home with a smile on my face. :-)

ps When I collected the car, I took out my card to pay and they said no, no charge! I think it was a bit of a trip down memory lane for them, happy days.
Hi Chris,
What excellent news, you and your boy must be delighted.
I think the self leveling shock absorbers are called Nivomat, Bob pasted an article on how to refill them here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...56&postcount=1

... the article won't be any use to you because you don't have one to refill, but it will tell you about how they work.

This would seem to be the right new PAS pump, it is pretty cheap so I'd suggest it isn't worth doing anything else but getting new:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/114203682644?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=114203682644&targetid=93869791724 6&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1006653&poi=&campa ignid=10199631031&mkgroupid=107296279372&rlsatarge t=aud-629407027825la-938697917246&abcId=1145985&merchantid=113592104&gc lid=Cj0KCQjwtZH7BRDzARIsAGjbK2bsmOSBoZtj_A4YT8Ehhn ZzvG4zgLyNUVBWPH4eUvJKHTNtLA60LBUaAiaOEALw_wcB

:-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 18th, 2020 at 08:16.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 09:08   #87
Chris152

Thanks Alan. It looks basically the same layout, slightly different in shapes tho - did they use just the one pump for all the cars listed in the ad?! I'll certainly buy if it's the right one. I guess just buy and return if it doesn't fit? It looks like the pipe comes out horizontally, whereas ours comes out vertically so maybe we'd need a get a longer pipe.

Last edited by Chris152; Sep 18th, 2020 at 09:13.
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 09:20   #88
Chris152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
What excellent news, you and your boy must be delighted.
We are - til now it's just been us looking it over and wondering what we'd got. Have to say, I really appreciate all the help we had from everyone in the other "Any advice" thread, and especially Dave (LS) who was incredibly patient with all the links to various cars we sent him to read through and comment on - and believe me, there were lots. Didn't mention it before as I wasn't sure if we (the boy and I) had decided on a lemon, but all signs are it's a great car, let's hope that continues!

Update - that pump was on v low sock, our car's listed, so I went ahead and hit 'buy'. Returns allowed if necessary, so all good :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 09:27   #89
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
We are - til now it's just been us looking it over and wondering what we'd got. Have to say, I really appreciate all the help we had from everyone in the other "Any advice" thread, and especially Dave (LS) who was incredibly patient with all the links to various cars we sent him to read through and comment on - and believe me, there were lots. Didn't mention it before as I wasn't sure if we (the boy and I) had decided on a lemon, but all signs are it's a great car, let's hope that continues!

Update - that pump was on v low sock, our car's listed, so I went ahead and hit 'buy'. Returns allowed if necessary, so all good :-)
Super - I'm really pleased for you and your boy. It will be a really good project for you both (and I suspect you will never run out of jobs to do - just like the RB).

The pump does seem to be the right one for your car, often a part will fit many marques and models, so it might not look exactly the same but it should fit. It might well be worth dropping the seller an email today just to check before the part is dispatched.

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 08:43   #90
Chris152

Well, the PS pump arrived at the end of last week and I've been trying to figure what to do since. The pulley needs swapping (it comes with one too small) which should be ok, need to get hold of a puller. More difficult is the direction of the hose attachment (circled in the photo) - the new one comes out horizontally, the old one vertically, which means we either need a longer hose or a 90 degree elbow of some sort.
If we need a longer hose, where could I buy it from?
I've left it in the bag (which I know makes seeing in the photo difficult) in case I need to return it.
Thanks for any thoughts.
C
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200929_082628.jpg (182.7 KB, 12 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post: