Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

60 MPH Limit on Motorways

Views : 5247

Replies : 121

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2020, 11:36   #51
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
"A Tesla called Gertrude".
That definitely has the ring of an Award winning Movie Mike!
It's bright red and the modern version of a Plymouth Fury...................... called Christine!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 22:37   #52
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
You clearly don't need to travel great distances on a regular basis then.I travel all over the country on a regular basis and an extra 20mph x 8 hours gets me 160 miles further down the road.
Yes of course, you are right. I have never driven past the end of my road....
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2020, 23:34   #53
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdiel View Post
"A Tesla called Gertrude".
That definitely has the ring of an Award winning Movie Mike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
It's bright red and the modern version of a Plymouth Fury...................... called Christine!
Hey, I never thought of that. Would go nicely with Genevieve, Herbie and Christine.
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 00:29   #54
rudi dudi
DPF free.FCUK Greta he he

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
Yes of course, you are right. I have never driven past the end of my road....
I don't know if your taking the **** or not mate.But id say you live and work in Dundee at a guess...So id say you don't go very far on a daily basis or you'd soon have a problem with a lower speed limit.
I do 60k miles a year and can do a run from your neck of the woods to Exeter twice monthly,try that with a lower speed limit..
I didn't say you never went beyond the end of your road .. Just not on a regular basis ehh.
rudi dudi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rudi dudi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 00:49   #55
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

In fifth gear at 80mph, each of the three cars we're currently running uses less than twice the fuel needed to drive at 40mph. Doesn't that mean that each is more efficient at the higher speed?

There is presumably a 'sweet spot'. I don't know where it is per vehicle, but it isn't 60mph.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 01:09   #56
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
In fifth gear at 80mph, each of the three cars we're currently running uses less than twice the fuel needed to drive at 40mph. Doesn't that mean that each is more efficient at the higher speed?

There is presumably a 'sweet spot'. I don't know where it is per vehicle, but it isn't 60mph.
Definitely! The point i've been trying to explain!

The "sweet spot" seems to vary by vehicle and is best found by experimentation in the individual vehicles.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 07:27   #57
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudi dudi View Post
I don't know if your taking the **** or not mate.But id say you live and work in Dundee at a guess...So id say you don't go very far on a daily basis or you'd soon have a problem with a lower speed limit.
I do 60k miles a year and can do a run from your neck of the woods to Exeter twice monthly,try that with a lower speed limit..
I didn't say you never went beyond the end of your road .. Just not on a regular basis ehh.
Regularly ran 1000 mile weeks until the start of this year. Low speed limits bother me not one jot. You see, everyone is different. Your point about being 160 miles further down the road is bang on, if conditions are perfect, traffic light, no hold ups...which obviously they never are. Reality is the difference beteeen say 60 and 80 can be fairly minimal over any given trip. I put over 50k a year on various cars until my recent job change so your assumption that I dont do many miles was fairly wide of the mark. Neither of us scratch the surface of what some drivers do either, we are hardly unique. Hope that clarifies things. Mate.
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 13:45   #58
andy_d
Premier Member

60mph ~Only reason for is ££££ in "speeding fines"
yet ONE more restriction this current gov are trying to impose on us, All "justified" by the Usual BS ,,, and supported by the usual brain deads

Foot down + hang the govment ,,pass the V8 twin turbo plz (it Will fit the v50 i have a sledge hammer + angle grinder)
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 14:21   #59
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
60mph ~Only reason for is ££££ in "speeding fines"
yet ONE more restriction this current gov are trying to impose on us, All "justified" by the Usual BS ,,, and supported by the usual brain deads

Foot down + hang the govment ,,pass the V8 twin turbo plz (it Will fit the v50 i have a sledge hammer + angle grinder)
So, just to summarise, one must be 'brain dead' to support a move that would extend the length of time we can use a finite resource whilst we figure out other, viable options? 🤔
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 15:24   #60
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
So, just to summarise, one must be 'brain dead' to support a move that would extend the length of time we can use a finite resource whilst we figure out other, viable options? 🤔
Yes if that move means we are not using tose resources to the maximum efficiency and given most cars designed over the past 30 years or so were designed to be most efficient at motorway speeds, i don't see that it will extend the time of using a finite resource.