Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 2.0 n/a to 2.3 b230fk turbo swap

Views : 942

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2020, 17:34   #1
taylorjonestj7

Exclamation 940 2.0 n/a to 2.3 b230fk turbo swap

Hi guys, new to the group
So I’m looking for some help and advice.
Just picked up a 1991 940 Saloon (originally had a 2.0n/a Engine)
It has had the 2.3 turbo b230fk dropped in it. With the 2.3turbo ecu, manifolds everything for the new engine bar the flywheel and clutch.

In short it won’t start.

So they put the original 2.0 n/a flywheel and clutch and all the bits onto the 2.3 turbo Engine.
Could this be the starting issue?
I’m unsure if the gearbox on there also. But are they almost all interchangeable the m47/46 and the m90 they’ll all use the same flywheels and clutches etc ?
I’m a bit in the dark here as I’m trying to learn about them Aswell.

If anyone could advise me of what I will need to purchase etc that would be great.
I will be buying second hand parts majority of the time too as it’s a cheap project but if cheap enough I’ll buy new.

Thanks
Taylor
taylorjonestj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 17:59   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Is it cranking?

The flywheel has some dimples in it for the lh2.4 to read so the flywheel could have been put in the wrong position as there are 8 different positions it could have gone in.

The M90 uses a dual mass flywheel and 240mm clutch.
The M46 and M47 use a solid 'dogdish' flywheel and 228mm clutch. To use the M90 gearbox and solid flywheel they will have had to have fitted something like this

http://www.retroturbo.com/?product=m...ft-adapter-prt

The crank sensor could have been knocked and broken when fitting the engine, does the rev counter flicker at all when cranking?

If they used the N/A clutch it won't hold the power of the turbo engine and if they used the original clutch at all then that is ridiculous as it will probably be half worn if not more!

What are your plans with the car? Mega power or a bit more like and daily?
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 18:29   #3
taylorjonestj7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Is it cranking?

The flywheel has some dimples in it for the lh2.4 to read so the flywheel could have been put in the wrong position as there are 8 different positions it could have gone in.

The M90 uses a dual mass flywheel and 240mm clutch.
The M46 and M47 use a solid 'dogdish' flywheel and 228mm clutch. To use the M90 gearbox and solid flywheel they will have had to have fitted something like this

http://www.retroturbo.com/?product=m...ft-adapter-prt

The crank sensor could have been knocked and broken when fitting the engine, does the rev counter flicker at all when cranking?

If they used the N/A clutch it won't hold the power of the turbo engine and if they used the original clutch at all then that is ridiculous as it will probably be half worn if not more!

What are your plans with the car? Mega power or a bit more like and daily?

It’s cracking just not starting . Sounds like it’s about to start but it just doesn’t fire up.
Will be a drift car eventually.

I doubt it was original clutch as it’s on 155k chasis but definitely off the old 2.0 na

What does the crank sensor look like and where do I look ?
I haven’t viewed the rev counter when trying to crank.
It does flicker when the lights are on though Mx thought it may be a fuse or somthing.

As for the gearbox. What would you presume to be on a 91 2.0 na 940 ?
And will The b230fk turbo work with eveyone one with the correct flywheel and clutch etc ?
Thanks for your help
Taylor
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorjonestj7 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 20:02   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Ah noooooo kill an estate not a saloon for drifting haha.

Yeah that clutch will die very very quickly when drifting then if it is for a 2.0 N/A and now also running a turbo!

When you turn the ignition on initially can you hear the fuel pump prime for a few seconds?

Crank sensor is on the back of the block where it meets the bell housing, it registers the dimples on the lh2.4 flywheel.

I presume it was originally an M46 (4 speed with overdrive), yes the B230FK will work with the M46 M47 and M90 no problems as they all were fitted to it st some point in time. All redblocks for 2/3/7/900 series share the same block essentially.

I would go back to basics first and check for spark, fuel and compression before going doing any other testing.

I will send a link to this thread to Dave (LairdScooby) and he will give some sound advice as he is more electronic than me.
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 20:36   #5
taylorjonestj7

Great. So knowing the boxes and the engine work together that’s a big help.
So what flywheel and clutch do I need to suit each gearbox ? To work in conjunction with the b230fk ?
My heads frazzled at the moment.
How tough is fitment too ?
Thanks again you’re a big help
Taylor
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 20:38   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First of all, just so you know for future reference, there's a dedicated 7/9xx section :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forum...aysprune=&f=14

That should get you a quicker response for future queries and you might even find the mods move this thread there.

Anyway, first things first, i think Luke has hit the nail on the head, the flywheel is in the wrong place. I can't remember it exactly but with the starter removed and #1 on TDC, you should be able to see the dimples through the starter hole. Or something very close to that!.

If you find the flywheel is in the right place, check to make sure they haven't swapped the temperature gauge and ECU CTS plugs over, they're both temperature sensors but very different inside.Also do you know the B230FK was actually running before it was fitted in yours?

Gearbox on a 91 car will be either M46 or M47, M46 is as Luke says, 4 speed + overdrive and M47 is a 5 speed.

Once you've checked the basics like the flywheel etc and presence of fuel (again, it won't inject properly if the pulses from the CPS are wrong) then you need to check the HT leads are fitted in the correct order to the dizzy cap.
Also plug gap and spark plugs - gap should be 0.65-0.7mm and check the carbon brush on the inside of the dizzy cap to make sure it hasn't been broken by a previous ham fisted "mechanic".

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 21:47   #7
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjonestj7 View Post
Great. So knowing the boxes and the engine work together that’s a big help.
So what flywheel and clutch do I need to suit each gearbox ? To work in conjunction with the b230fk ?
My heads frazzled at the moment.
How tough is fitment too ?
Thanks again you’re a big help
Taylor
You will want solid flywheel for the M46 M47 and the M90 can use it too as long as you use the support bearing I linked to above.

The M90 can also use the dual mass flywheel it was designed for.

You will need a clutch friction plate from a turbo car and ideally a pressure plate from a diesel 940 to handle the extra torque, power and abuse from drifting infusing the solid flywheel.

You will need to take the gearbox out to fit the clutch, splitting the box from the engine in the car without a ramp is a bit of a pig to do, I did it last week on a 940 in a scrapyard lay down in broken glass in about 3 hours with limited space, obviously on a drive and if you could get the car on ramps or axle stands then it would be a lot easier and quicker.
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 22:28   #8
taylorjonestj7

Ok great. Where would be best to look for all the parts you’re mentioning.
Like the solid flywheel, what clutch again ? , turbo diesel pressure plate and all of it? Is there a go to place for it all ?
And any part numbers that I should use ?
Thanks
You guys are really helpful I appreciate it
Taylor
Old Sep 19th, 2020, 23:54   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjonestj7 View Post
Ok great. Where would be best to look for all the parts you’re mentioning.
Like the solid flywheel, what clutch again ? , turbo diesel pressure plate and all of it? Is there a go to place for it all ?
And any part numbers that I should use ?
Thanks
You guys are really helpful I appreciate it
Taylor
What gearbox do you currently have? Chances are you already have the solid flywheel on the back of the engine but not being funny, wouldn't it be a good idea to get it running first and then find out what other bits you'll need?

A B230FK only has 135bhp as standard and even the bog standard 2.0 n/asp clutch is up to coping with that. Once you've got it running, then you can go for the power boosts as and when and then once the power is building, get the better clutch etc as you go, that way you won't be pootling around for however long on an expensive clutch and not really getting the benefit of it.

I know you're enthusiastic and want to get everything done ASAP but sometimes parts availability isn't what you'd hope for and so on - taking a more basic approach like i'm suggesting will reduce the risk of disappointment when a certain part can't be found easily and also give you time to fix any other problems that come along and need fixing before you put any decent power through it. Propshaft centre bearing for example

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2020, 11:23   #10
taylorjonestj7

That’s the plan. I’m going up the yard today to take the box out. Try and see if it’s been put in wrong.
And if not that will start checking everything else.
So are you saying that the clutch and flywheel from the old 2.0 na engine will work ?
Thanks
Taylor

Tags
volvo 940 engine swap