Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clicking noise near the belts

Views : 706

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 21:23   #1
ThroughLou

Default Clicking noise near the belts

Hey everyone

Finally started my T4 after sitting for two years now, had serviced it before taking it off the road.

I have noticed that there is a loud ticking noise, everytime the silver housing moves the clicking noise happens.

Does anyone know what this could be.

Video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAq7HN8-W_Y
Old Jun 3rd, 2017, 22:33   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughLou View Post
Hey everyone

Finally started my T4 after sitting for two years now, had serviced it before taking it off the road.

I have noticed that there is a loud ticking noise, everytime the silver housing moves the clicking noise happens.

Does anyone know what this could be.

Video below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAq7HN8-W_Y
I would urgently get the Aux belt and tensioner renewed , also the cam belt and roller and tensioner whilst at it !
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 09:14   #3
diggerdude

Default Ticking noise

My 2002 s40 1.9t does the very same thing, I found that the noise is loudest when I put my stethoscope on the alternator housing.
What did you end up doing to resolve the issue?
diggerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 10:01   #4
ASt85
Premier Member

As Clan states above - there is play in the idler's shaft - the bolt appears to be moving slightly - if the noise appears to be coming from the alternator pulley bearing - get the belt off and check for play/end float in the alternator's shaft - you can usually get them rebuilt at a fraction of the cost of replacing the alternator.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Oct 12th, 2017 at 10:06.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 06:31   #5
diggerdude

Default Ticking noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
As Clan states above - there is play in the idler's shaft - the bolt appears to be moving slightly - if the noise appears to be coming from the alternator pulley bearing - get the belt off and check for play/end float in the alternator's shaft - you can usually get them rebuilt at a fraction of the cost of replacing the alternator.
From what I see in his video my pulley moves the same as his but the noise is loudest at alternator housing with stethoscope, I think the movement on the idle tension is normal. But the sound and frequency is exactly the same on mine. I agree rebuild the alternator would be cheaper if I can find someone who does it. Phoenix AZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to diggerdude For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 08:24   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

As I typed in alternator rebuilds the extra grey word "phoenix" appeared so I think you may already have searched either that or a certain search engine is looking over my shoulder at what I'm reading on screen!

Google suggest......

A & M Alternator Services
(10) · Auto Electrical Service
Phoenix, AZ, USA
+1 602-267-0891

Copperstate Alternator & Starter
Phoenix, AZ, USA
+1 602-253-4155

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 15:32   #7
magnuz
Ancient

If you take the belt off, you should be able to check the pulleys & idlers individually for play & roughness in the bearings.
When i had a similar noise.. the problem was in the alternator overrun pulley..if it is this, it may make more noise if you blip the throttle & make it freewheel ?
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 21:44   #8
diggerdude

Default Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASt85 View Post
As I typed in alternator rebuilds the extra grey word "phoenix" appeared so I think you may already have searched either that or a certain search engine is looking over my shoulder at what I'm reading on screen!

Google suggest......

A & M Alternator Services
Phoenix, AZ, USA
+1 602-267-0891

Copperstate Alternator & Starter
Phoenix, AZ, USA
+1 602-253-4155
Thanks for looking into this! I looked at the alternator from the bottom side and it looks like the bearing is loosing some grease. Will be calling the contacts you provided
The Following User Says Thank You to diggerdude For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2017, 21:48   #9
diggerdude

Default Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuz View Post
If you take the belt off, you should be able to check the pulleys & idlers individually for play & roughness in the bearings.
When i had a similar noise.. the problem was in the alternator overrun pulley..if it is this, it may make more noise if you blip the throttle & make it freewheel ?
I had my Son to put the car in drive with brakes on and listened to it and the clicking was louder and more frequent, going to release belt today and check it all out.
Thanks for replying!