Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guide: Fuel Flap Lock repair

Views : 14150

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2013, 14:27   #1
BestGear
Master Member

Default Guide: Fuel Flap Lock repair

Guys

Been a while since I contributed, so thought I would do a wee write up on the fuel flap repair on our XC90.

There is much written about the locking fuel flap, both from the point of the hinge breaking and also the central locking motor failure.

We had the locking motor fail - in the locked position, meaning we could not add fuel. I did a Google and some text said there was a manual release in the boot - but I could not find it (because, as it became clear, it did not exist) and the Volvo manual did not mention it.

This guide covers the removal of the motor and a very quick fix that appears to have done the job at zero cost.

First - remove the side panels in the boot - I have not documented this there are already guides around. Having seen it removed now, there is a possibility that you could do it without removal, but it would be tricky, and the side panels only take a few mins to remove anyway.

You then peel back the sound insulation and can finally see the locking motor.

Once accessed, you can manually push back the locking pin (its obvious when you look - you can just see it below in front of the cream colored motor housing) and then you can open the flap.

Once the flap is open, look inside the flap and you will see two torx screws - these fasten the locking motor to the body - undo them. When the motor is free, disconnect the wiring plug.

Once on the bench, there are two torx screws shown above you remove - to separate the bracket from the motor housing.

You can also see the part number 30716837 on the assembly.

Another three screws, and you have it in bits!

The black piece with the cog is the actual locking "bar" that moves to hold the flap shut.

The motor is a Johnson - which is a very common make and my first thought was that a replacement should be easy to find.

See here for the part number...

I proceeded to test the motor and what I found was that the actual motor was fine - strong, and as it should be.

What the actual problem is is one of the connectors that push fit into the motor housing - the picture here shows both removed.

The fault has been caused by sparking due to a loose connector - so the fix was obviously to solder both to the motor housing.

We are in luck here, as the contact that the connectors push against is copper, and with the removal of a small amount of the motor plastic, you can solder the connector directly to the motor so no push fit or future problems.

You can see the two copper pads in the picture above - and the small areas of plastic you can remove to give you something to solder against.

As a result of the increased bulk the solder adds, I had to trim the inside of the motor housing so that it would go back in place. The picture below may not be that clear - but it will be once you are in there!

The rest is as they say, a reversal of removal - it all goes back together quickly and thankfully the motor is now locking and unlocking perfectly.

Hope this helps someone out!

David
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 14:46   #2
exdirectory

Just finished replacing my rusty tailgate handle rod from another guide and now feeling confident to try the next problem on MY 05 XC90. So id did a search and your fuel flap guide just got today posted - bit cold now but going to have a go soon as I get chance - thanks
exdirectory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 15:53   #3
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdirectory View Post
Just finished replacing my rusty tailgate handle rod from another guide - thanks
Not sure if you noticed... the other guide was probably mine too!

Glad these have helped you out.

David
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 19:22   #4
exdirectory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Not sure if you noticed... the other guide was probably mine too!
Yes it was!! Thanks again.
exdirectory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2013, 22:09   #5
400-ascona
Premier Member

David, long time no speak Sir. Hope you are well?

Top write up as usual. Ours broke some time ago and I suspect it is the same issue as you found as it was intermittent. However if you remove the little quarter panel in the boot you can indeed reach in and manually operate the lock (I have done this for some months now as we run on LPG so very rarely need Petrol).

The other piece of useful info is that the V70 is the same part and usually cheaper second hand than XC90.

Added another motor to our collection. We have a 2006 Mini Cooper S Works (210bhp) that is fantastic fun to drive. Strongly recommend getting yourself a go in one. We also bought an Elddis Avante 636 (2005) recently. What toys have you got these days (still got the MX5)?

Rob
Old Dec 9th, 2013, 07:59   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400-ascona View Post
David, long time no speak Sir. Hope you are well?

Added another motor to our collection. We have a 2006 Mini Cooper S Works (210bhp) that is fantastic fun to drive. Strongly recommend getting yourself a go in one. We also bought an Elddis Avante 636 (2005) recently. What toys have you got these days (still got the MX5)?

Rob
Good news re the motor from a v70...hopefully I wont need one...new motors seem to be circa £120...

I did have an R53 works... with a few few tweeks...cracking car, so much fun, and I love the addictive charger whine. Not got the mx anymore... did love the cheeky "grass roots" handling, but moved it on, and have had a Boxster and a 6 series now.

I have a caravan too...Abbey Freestyle 640, so no doubt same dynamics as yours. The XC has been a really stable towcar, even though ours is only a 163. I did have a few issues with the towbar height, as many others had, and ended swapping it out for a genuine bar and all has been well since.

Time is always the enemy with forums.. and work tends to get a higher priority these days!

David
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 18:06   #7
BestGear
Master Member

Just thought I would add that apparently 30612856 is an earlier equivalent part.

I have not verified them side to side, but hopefully adding this number to the thread will let someone find it if they are searching for help.

David
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 22:47   #8
colinwdick

Thumbs up works a treat

BestGear's Fuel Flap Lock repair by soldering the electrical pins worked a treat on my 2009 low milage XC90.

Didn't cost anything other than time, apx 25-30 mins all in.

The one thing I would add, when you lock the car the fuel flap doest immediately lock, its timed and locks a couple of minutes after. You might think your repair hasn't worked when it actually has so just wait.

I'm only annoyed that i didn't actually work out the problem myself.

Thanks for posting the detailed fix c/w pictures online, much appreciated.
colinwdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 21:23   #9
Silversurfer66

cannot view the pictures
Silversurfer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 13:21   #10
laundryman
The Engineer

Nice to see someone copied the repair I posted on here a couple of years ago!!
Nothing wrong with a bit of recycling!
laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to laundryman For This Useful Post: