Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593791

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 19th, 2017, 20:50   #1631
Taniwha

Hi all

New here and have had a search and could not find what I hoped to, so apologies if this info already exists somewhere.

I have agreed a price to purchase (subject to satisfactory inspection) an XC60 6/16 first reg. with the D4 2.0 VEA 4cyl motor, I think MY16.

I have two questions I hope you can help with.

Is there a date after which engines were supplies with the EGR software update and replacement/upgrade EGR parts already installed? Or is it a fix only made if a problem arises?

Is there a picture anywhere on this site of what the original and modified EGR looks like?

thanks in advance
Mark
Taniwha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 22:18   #1632
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
Hi all

New here and have had a search and could not find what I hoped to, so apologies if this info already exists somewhere.

I have agreed a price to purchase (subject to satisfactory inspection) an XC60 6/16 first reg. with the D4 2.0 VEA 4cyl motor, I think MY16.

I have two questions I hope you can help with.

Is there a date after which engines were supplies with the EGR software update and replacement/upgrade EGR parts already installed? Or is it a fix only made if a problem arises?

Is there a picture anywhere on this site of what the original and modified EGR looks like?

thanks in advance
Mark
It is pretty simple to see if the mods are done , look at the top radiator hose , It should be a one piece from radiator to the plastic junction on the cylinder block ... Non modified have a T piece half way down the hose . Regarding software it is continually updated at every yearly service .
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 22:30   #1633
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post
Hi all

thanks in advance
Mark
Here are some photos on this thread of my XC60 VEA before and after the modification.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...postcount=1539
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2017, 23:43   #1634
Taniwha

Much appreciated, thank you
Taniwha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 01:35   #1635
PhilipXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Assuming it's a D4 FWD, then VEA production started week 46 2013, so this must be one of the early ones.
If it is a D4 AWD then it is not the VEA engine.
It's a FWD.
I called the dealer and they said to call Volvo assistance, they came out within the hour and they guy said the sensor at the exhaust had triggered the warning light but not to worry and he reset it. It was fine for about 80 miles and now it's come back on again. What are the chances it's the EGR And is it safe to drive if it is the EGR valve?

Last edited by PhilipXC90; Oct 20th, 2017 at 01:40.
PhilipXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 01:42   #1636
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipXC90 View Post
It's a FWD.
I called the dealer and they said to call Volvo assistance, they came out within the hour and they guy said the sensor at the exhaust had triggered the warning light but not to worry and he reset it. It was fine for about 80 miles and now it's come back on again. What are the chances it's the EGR And is it safe to drive if it is the EGR valve?
Not sure but you are within the 30 day period to reject the car. Not suggesting you do this, but you need to be firm with the dealer (is it Volvo Selekt with a Volvo FSH ?) and tell them you want it fixed now and an assurance that any EGR issues will be covered in the future even after the 12 month warranty has expired. It's an £800 bill otherwise. Get it in writing.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 14:04   #1637
PhilipXC90

Dealer says it's the o2 sensor and it's clogged up with soot, I've to take it in on Tuesday morning and they're going to clean it. Seemingly Volvo are trying to find a permanent solution for this problem.
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 13:11   #1638
Munse99

Default Emissions light.

Had the dreaded emissions light come on the dash this morning totally out of the blue.
I've only owed the car for 3 months and are so happy with it so far.
It's out of warranty by 2000 miles. I'll call volvo UK on Monday morning to see if they will fix the problem out of warranty if it is the common problem mentioned in this thread.
Has anyone had this work done out of warranty?

It's a 2014 D4 FWD 62000 miles.
Munse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 14:26   #1639
NigelDay
Premier Member

Do you have a Volvo FSH ? Sounds like you did not buy it from a Volvo dealer (otherwise it would have a Volvo Select cover for 12 months - and you say it is out of warranty 3 months after purchase). If FSH, should be no problem.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2017, 16:06   #1640
jsmith85

Default Check engine light

I had the same problem in mid September. Mine is a 2015 V60 D4 Volvo Selekt. It had done17086 miles at the time. It came on after 4 days of motorway driving at 60-70 mph. I took it to the dealer who cleaned the o2 sensor and told me to drive the car harder. I thought about it and went back and explained it wasn’t the soot filter light that came on, it was ‘check engine’ and had the EGR valve been replaced, as I was aware of the dangers of stop start driving. (Car was 6 months old when I bought it and a dealer demonstrator). The dealer checked and said the EGR valve hadn’t been replaced and wouldn’t be, unless there was a problem, as Volvo won’t pay for it. He said I was driving the car as it should be and should the o2 sensor clog again he would clean it F.O.C. I am concerned that car is out of warranty in February. I don’t want the sensor cleaned continually if the EGR mod fixes it. Is the EGR replacement a recall issue or are some engines unaffected?
jsmith85 is offline   Reply With Quote